Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modi, the man

+6
Propagandhi711
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
confuzzled dude
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
indophile
10 posters

Go down

Modi, the man Empty Modi, the man

Post by indophile Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 am

Field day for "intellectuals," "practicals," "centrists," and "Grinches." Enjoy.

So who really is Narendra Modi? Do we really know him? What are his personal habits, for one?

Sheela Bhatt compiles a list of things, both unknown and known, about the latest challenger to the New Delhi throne. These highlights from Modi's life should be read along with our two-part series:-

How Modi poses a threat as well  as opportunity for Cong Polarisation or development? Narendra Modi's big dilemma.

1.  Vadnagar, an ancient city that’s almost 2,500 years old, is Narendra Damordas Mulchand Modi’s birthplace. Indians strongly identify themselves with their janambhoomi, and Modi is no different. He likes the Hatkeswar Mahadeo temple, built in the 15th century, in his village. His birthplace is unique in that it saw both Hinduism and Buddhism flourish. It is also a highly cultured town that is famous for singer-duo Tana and Riri who stumped none other than the legendary Tansen in the Mughal king Akbar’s durbar. Vadnagar was once the capital of Gujarat and has a proud place in  history also because the Chinese scholar Hsüan-tsang visited it during his  17-year journey through India in the seventh century and has narrated  Vadnagar in detail in his fascinating memoirs.

2. Modi was born on September 17, 1950. He makes it a point to take the blessings of his mother  Heeraben on his birthday. He bonds reasonably well with his four brothers  and sister but doesn’t display it in public. His wife's name is Jashoda, and the couple separated soon after marriage.

3. The most striking personal habit of Modi is to wear well-ironed and wrinkle-free clothes, a habit he retains from his teenage years when he would fill hot water in a brass lota and iron his shirt using the vessel’s heated bottom. He continues to lay stress on dressing well and, judging by his public appearances over the last couple of years, he owns hundreds of kurtas, all of them tailored by his favourite darzi in a posh shop on Ahmedabad’s CG Road. Everyone knows that he is crazy about wrist watches and sandals.

4. Modi is a cleanliness maniac. He keeps his desk, his home and general surroundings spic and span.  There is no doubt that he is very comfort-oriented in the matter of designing his home and personal desk. He loves his chartered flights, too -- one of the privileges of being a chief minister.

5. He can be dubbed one of the best copywriters in contemporary India. No Indian advertising agency is likely to match his ability to paraphrase ideas, launch new brands, re-launch people and events, write-rewrite copies to sell ideas or products  as he does. He truly is a great innovator.

6. In closed-door meetings, he likes multi-media presentations. He has a flair for technology, and has a child-like enthusiasm for it. In meetings, he has displayed that he has a fine sense of humour - though it can sometimes be unwittingly hurtful.

7. He is extremely prudent in money matters, and would like to pay the least and get the most while finalising contracts of various ministries. He can be called economical if not a miser. Yes, he is very economical with his own money as well.

8.  These days, his weight veers around 84 kg. He gets back-pain at times, with the upper part of the spinal region being the problem area. When he stands  for a long time, his feet get swollen. But, no, he doesn’t have any serious health problems.

9. He  has spent enough time in the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. So his language, nuances of behaviour and expressions can never be westernised. He definitely likes western watches, accessories and homely comforts, but that's all. He is quite conservative, even old-fashioned, on issues relating to women and family, though he will never say so in public. His knowledge of
English is reasonably okay, but he is not comfortable speaking it. He has done his masters in political science, but as an RSS pracharak he learnt all about India, Hinduism and family life when he was staying with RSS followers’ families.

10.  Those who believe in astrology may like to know that Modi’s moon sign is  Scorpio, and sun sign is Virgo. His star constellation is Anuradha. He was  born at 11 am on September 17, 1950. An astrologer who saw his kundli says  his rahu antardasha, considered good for those in politics, “is on till  September 2014”. Ahmedabad’s best astrologer claims, “Modi’s planetary  strength lies in Tula, no mangal in chalit, and Rahu in sixth  house.

Those  in the know say that Lokmanya Tilak and Otto von Bismark had similar kundlis. According to current astrological transit, Saturn and Rahu in Tula  and Jupiter’s position in his kundli are helping his rise. One perforce thinks of destiny and X factor while talking about Modi because even as his government is facing serious allegations of fake encounters, his star is on the ascendence. The man's rise is impressive when one considers that for almost three decades he lived with little money. When in his 20s, he arranged and acted in a play in Vadnagar to collect funds to build his  school’s
boundary wall. He has even served tea in his maternal uncle’s canteen at the bus stand in Ahmedabad while studying in college.

11. He fasts all nine days during Navratra every year – eating only one fruit a day  during this time. He eschews the Navratra-special thali-meal, which is traditionally allowed once a day. He fasts out of devotion for Goddess  Ambaji, and has changed the landscape of her shrine on the Gujarat-Rajasthan  border. Out of reverence to Ma Amba, he has built a   Rs 70 crore-plus Shaktipeeth parikrama on the Gabbar hillock, considered highly sacred by devotees. This will be inaugurated soon.

12. He logs on to the internet every morning without fail and checks all that is written about him. Even if he is travelling, he gets newspapers and cuttings  of what his critics are saying about him.

13. He is a decision-maker. He will not send any decision to a Group of Ministers.

14.  Modi has no ‘best friend’. He is a loner.

15.  Modi is married, but never lived with his wife. Since long, he has been trusting Anandiben Patel, a minister and among his likely successors if he shifts to Delhi. However, he guards his privacy zealously.

16.  Modi is a workaholic. After going online at 7 am or even earlier, he would call his party men from all over Gujarat; now, he calls people from all over India. He attends office early in the morning, and works till 10 pm if need be. He is a leader who is not going to ease his grip on party
Politics even if he were to head a ministry or be ensconced in the PMO if a National Democratic Alliance government comes to power.

17. Oh yes, he is in love with the mirror. He poses like a model. He is very conscious of pictures that are sent out from his publicity office. A few years back he used to like dark colours but now he experiments. He keeps a comb handy in his pocket all the time. He keeps half a dozen colourful  ‘
khes’ angvastras ready in the back seat of his car, and chooses one according to the crowd he is addressing.

18. He sleeps for only five hours -- sometimes even less. Whatever time he hits the  bed, he gets up at 5 or 5.30 am.

19. He has written poems of low literary value.

20.  His icon is Swami Vivekanand. He admires Indira Gandhi.

21.  Modi was incommunicado when he was 17 and 18. He left his family and went to Rajkot’s Ramakrishna mission and to the Belur Mutt in Karnataka and then to the Himalayas. He wanted to do something but did not know what. So he travelled and wandered around India.

22.  His favourite food is bhakhri (crispy rotis) and khichdi made in Gujarati style. Modi knows to cook, too.

23.He  has met innumerable sadhus. He taught Gujarati to Sadhvi Ritambhara when he was a full-time worker in the Vishwa Hindu Parishad. The sadhvi’s guru Swami Parmanand was fond of Modi’s ‘spiritual quest’.

24.  Unlike his image, Modi meets local Gujarati Muslims frequently. But the easy access given to them is among Gandhinagar’s well-kept secrets.

25. He is a hard task-master and treats government officers as tools to achieve his political goals.

26. He has an excellent memory.

Is very intelligent.

A very good swimmer.

Vegetarian. Possibly first ever vegetarian PM  .

indophile

Back to top Go down

Modi, the man Empty Re: Modi, the man

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 20, 2014 7:51 am

ha! i knew there was a comb in bayck poacket! admiration of IG -- also not surprising.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 20, 2014 7:56 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:ha! i knew there was a comb in bayck poacket! admiration of IG -- also not surprising.

Ha! Congratulations Indo on your first catch of the day!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue May 20, 2014 8:39 am

indophile wrote:Vegetarian. Possibly first ever vegetarian PM  .
Those 2000 muslims he devoured don't count?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 20, 2014 8:50 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

Still bitter, Comrade?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 20, 2014 8:55 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

Really ? I did not know muslims could have kids even when they are dead...

I am sure soon it will become 4,000 then 8000..... Is it geometric progression?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue May 20, 2014 9:12 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Really ?  I did not know muslims could have kids even when they are dead...

Would he be considered vegetarian if he digested only 1000, what's the threshold?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 20, 2014 9:16 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Would he be considered vegetarian if he digested only 1000, what's the threshold?

First he devoured. Now he digested. When is he going to spit them out?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 20, 2014 9:40 am

"He bonds reasonably well with his four brothers and sister but doesn’t display it in public."

wowww... 5 siblings and 12 years as CM of the most prosperous state with constructions everywhere, and the Cong(i) cannot find a SINGLE crruption case against him or link to any of his siblings and their "grown up" kids?

That in itself is a great accomplishment, and he gets my vote just for that.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 20, 2014 9:42 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Before answering that, please answer if you have ANY respect for the Indian judiciary?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue May 20, 2014 9:45 am

"He bonds reasonably well with his four brothers  and sister but doesn’t display it in public."

wowww... 5 siblings and 12 years as CM of the most prosperous state with constructions everywhere, and the Cong(i) cannot find a SINGLE crruption case against him or link to any of his siblings and their "grown up" kids?

That in itself is a great accomplishment, and he gets my vote just for that.

what, comrade's uncle was like that. he has two children both of which are utterly corruption free. one is rumored to be...well those are just rumors by jealous and anti social elements

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue May 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Modi the first vegetarian PM? I don't think so. Wasn't PVN a vegetarian as well?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue May 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Yeah, I think you are right. One Baxi garu (who was the Chief Chef of Air France for some time) used to cook vegetarian food for PVN on U.S. visits. That Baxi garu is from Vizianagaram.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue May 20, 2014 1:45 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Before answering that, please answer if you have ANY respect for the Indian judiciary?
such as destroying key evidence, telephone records?!

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 20, 2014 5:34 pm

bah, all this data and nothing to confirm his hotness.  i guess he had to transplant a patch to make sure he continues to use that comb.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 20, 2014 5:38 pm

bw wrote:bah, all this data and nothing to confirm his hotness.  i guess he had to transplant a patch to make sure he continues to use that comb.
He is certainly no Darcy.

Aside: Check out Colin Firth in The English Patient.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue May 20, 2014 6:53 pm

bw wrote:bah, all this data and nothing to confirm his hotness.  i guess he had to transplant a patch to make sure he continues to use that comb.
Here, this should confirm the hotness.

Modi, the man Cca0dh5
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

oh, i have endured that movie many years ago since a friend of mine wanted to go ogle at ralph fiennes on the big screen. it was incredibly long and boring.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 20, 2014 7:18 pm

bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

oh, i have endured that movie many years ago since a friend of mine wanted to go ogle at ralph fiennes on the big screen. it was incredibly long and boring.

Long and boring? This movie with 80+% rating?

The English Patient
Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Binoche
DVD release: Mar 24, 1998
R, 2 hr. 42 min.
http://www.flixster.com/movie/the-english-patient?lsrc=mobile

Sent from Flixster, the top movies app, http://tmto.es/go2flix

Is it coz Darcy was portrayed as an inept idiot?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

The English Patient
R, 2 hr. 42 min.

i don't care about colin firth except in BBC's  'pride and prejudice' adaptation. in fact, i don't even recall him from this movie. ralph fiennes, his contorted face, annoying voice and oh yeah, the crisp, are what i recall.

being popular does not necessarily make something good and worthwhile. i am sure 'titanic" also has very high ratings but i consider it a torture.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 20, 2014 7:28 pm

firth played the role of the cuckolded husband. i think titanic and the english patient are a fair distance apart in artistic merit. you may like neither but that's no reason to put them in the same discussion.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Tue May 20, 2014 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 20, 2014 7:30 pm

bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

The English Patient
R, 2 hr. 42 min.

i don't care about colin firth except in BBC's  'pride and prejudice' adaptation. in fact, i don't even recall him from this movie. ralph fiennes, his contorted face, annoying voice and oh yeah, the crisp, are what i recall.

being popular does not necessarily make something good and worthwhile. i am sure 'titanic" also has very high ratings but i consider it a torture.

Guess your mind blocked out Colin Firth from this movie.

BTW, The English Patient was a popular not just with the audience but also with the critics, including your favorite critic.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 pm

now i have to see how we got from modi's narcissism to colin firth. let me retrace the thread.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

The English Patient
R, 2 hr. 42 min.

BTW, The English Patient was a popular not just with the audience but also with the critics, including your favorite critic.

you guess wrong.

i don't recall any other role of colin firth - didn't care for him in "king's speech". i like darcy not colin firth.

i form my own opinions, snoopy - don't really care about what others think unless they agree with me Razz

i found the movie an utter bore and that's that.

oh, and modi, his hirsute highness, is not hot and that's that.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 20, 2014 7:39 pm

bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:

The English Patient
R, 2 hr. 42 min.

you guess wrong.

i don't recall any other role of colin firth - didn't care for him in "king's speech". i like darcy not colin firth.

i form my own opinions, snoopy - don't really care about what others think unless they agree with me Razz

Oh come now, Lucy! Surely you must recall him in Tinker Tailor...
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 20, 2014 7:53 pm

bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:

The English Patient
R, 2 hr. 42 min.

you guess wrong.

aside -- watched the madness of king george some time ago and loved it. nigel hawthorne is seriously underrated.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

The English Patient
R, 2 hr. 42 min.

you guess wrong.

Oh come now, Lucy! Surely you must recall him in Tinker Tailor...

oh, the movie version.

i only think of BBC's TTSS with alec guiness and ian richardson. the movie version wasn't very good.

max, i remember you mentioning this some time back. haven't gotten around to watching it.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue May 20, 2014 8:23 pm

It is amusing to see confused secular's scattered thoughts on modi's hotness and hair. Growing up is a life long process.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 20, 2014 9:21 pm

didn't firth also act in a picturization of graham greene's biography? i have a vague recollection of watching something like that.

just looked it up. not a biography but a novel by greene which was cinematized -- end of the affair. i think it was semi autobiographical.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Tue May 20, 2014 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 20, 2014 9:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:firth played the role of the cuckolded husband. i think titanic and the english patient are a fair distance apart in artistic merit. you may like neither but that's no reason to put them in the same discussion.

the reason is to illustrate that just because something is popular and gets 80%+ positive rating, it does not mean that it is a good movie. i could have used modi as an example too, i suppose.

i think the book "english patient" will likely be much better than the movie. haven't read it.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 20, 2014 9:26 pm

yes it is a very good book. my first and only ondaatje. i read it after watching the movie.

eta: actually that's not true, i suffered through divisadero two summers ago.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Tue May 20, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 20, 2014 9:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:didn't firth also act in a picturization of graham greene's biography? i have a vague recollection of watching something like that.

just looked it up. not a biography but a novel by greene which was cinematized -- end of the affair. i think it was semi autobiographical.

ralph fiennes acted in it, not firth.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:didn't firth also act in a picturization of graham greene's biography? i have a vague recollection of watching something like that.

ralph fiennes acted in it, not firth.

you're right. don't know why i confused them.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down