Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blast from the Past 12: madhubala vs. Meena kumari

3 posters

Go down

Blast from the Past 12: madhubala vs. Meena kumari Empty Blast from the Past 12: madhubala vs. Meena kumari

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Which one was more tragic?

Back to top Go down

Blast from the Past 12: madhubala vs. Meena kumari Empty Re: Blast from the Past 12: madhubala vs. Meena kumari

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:51 pm

madhubala. how did meena kumari die? was it tragic?

Back to top Go down

Blast from the Past 12: madhubala vs. Meena kumari Empty Re: Blast from the Past 12: madhubala vs. Meena kumari

Post by charvaka Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:madhubala. how did meena kumari die? was it tragic?
Hey. Did someone gently break it to Sara Boji first that she died, before you discuss this so casually?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:13 pm

meena kumari died mainly coz of alcoholism. She also had husband and money issues, etc. no kids for either of them. Both died young. Madhubala at 36, and meena kumari too pretty young, me thinks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:16 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meena_Kumari

Death

Three weeks after the release of Pakeezah, Meena Kumari became seriously ill, and died on 31 March 1972 of liver cirrhosis. At her death, she was in more or less the same financial circumstance as her parents at the time of her birth: It is said that when she died in a nursing home, there was no money to pay her hospital bills.

Relationship with Kamal Amrohi

In 1952, on the sets of one of her films, Meena Kumari fell in love with and married film director, Kamal Amrohi, who was fifteen years elder than her and was already married. She wrote about Amrohi:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
"Dil saa jab saathi paya
Bechaini bhi woh saath le aaya"

(When I found someone like my heart
He also brought sorrow with him)
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Soon after marriage, Kamal Amrohi and Meena Kumari produced a film called Daera (1953), which was based on their love story. They also planned another film, Pakeezah. However, it took sixteen years (1956 to 1972) before Pakeezah reached the silver screen. (The scenes in Pakeezah's popular song, Inhi logon ne, were originally filmed in black and white, and were later reshot in color.)

It is said that Amrohi did not want children with Meena Kumari because she was not a Syed. They raised Kamal Amrohi's son, Tajdaar, who was greatly attached to his chhoti ammi (younger mother).

Due to their strong personalities, however, Meena Kumari and Kamal Amrohi started to develop conflicts, both professionally and in their married life. Their conflicts led to separation in 1960, and ultimately divorce in 1964. Highly affected Meena Kumari, who, once a happy woman, became depressed and found solace in heavy drinking. They remarried, but Meena Kumari had become an alcoholic by then.

She expressed her sorrows prominently in her poetry. About Kamal Amrohi she wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
"Tum kya karoge sunkar mujhse meri kahani
Belutf zindagi ke kisse hain pheeke pheeke"

(Why do you want to listen to my story:
Colourless tales of a joyless life)
</BLOCKQUOTE>
At the time of the divorce, she wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
"Talaak to de rahe ho Nazar-e-kahar ke saath
Jawani bhi mere lauta do Mehar ke saath"

(You are divorcing me with rage in your eyes
Return to me, also, my youth along with the alimony!)
</BLOCKQUOTE>

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:25 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
She expressed her sorrows prominently in her poetry. About Kamal Amrohi she wrote:
"Tum kya karoge sunkar mujhse meri kahani

Belutf zindagi ke kisse hain pheeke pheeke"

At the time of the divorce, she wrote:
"Talaak to de rahe ho Nazar-e-kahar ke saath
Jawani bhi mere lauta do
Mehar ke saath"
Didn't know she was a decent poet.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:26 am

yeah. there she seems to score over madhubala. i doubt if the cirrhosis was due to alcoholism though -- 'cos she was awfully young. though i am not doubting that she might have been an alcoholic.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:46 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:yeah. there she seems to score over madhubala. i doubt if the cirrhosis was due to alcoholism though -- 'cos she was awfully young. though i am not doubting that she might have been an alcoholic.
Cirrhosis is not impossible in late 30s or early 40s, if you do enough alcohol. I have a distant cousin who had that.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:50 am

i see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:26 am

charvaka wrote:Cirrhosis is not impossible in late 30s or early 40s, if you do enough alcohol. I have a distant cousin who had that.

Uh-oh.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:42 am

charvaka wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:yeah. there she seems to score over madhubala. i doubt if the cirrhosis was due to alcoholism though -- 'cos she was awfully young. though i am not doubting that she might have been an alcoholic.
Cirrhosis is not impossible in late 30s or early 40s, if you do enough alcohol. I have a distant cousin who had that.

Alcohol, while being the single well-recognized reason, is not the only one to cause Cirrhosis. Unless someone is a drunkard for 15 to 20 years, one has to look at other possibilities. hepatitis C (she could have used needles and drugs in the 60s), hep B and genetic reasons are reasons in as many cases.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down