Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

quiz - no googling

5 posters

Go down

quiz - no googling Empty quiz - no googling

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:55 pm

where is this bldg located and what is its significance?

quiz - no googling Taxes-ugland-big
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

quiz - no googling Empty Re: quiz - no googling

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 pm

In the Caribbean. The trees give it away
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 pm

No, Uganda. It's written on the stone in front :p
it's the roman embassy. MCMXC gives it away.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 pm

I think it is Florida

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Hellsangel wrote:In the Caribbean. The trees give it away

right, but where exactly?
hint: that building is the registered address of more than 18,000 companies.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Cayman Islands

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Cayman Islands

indeed!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/06/business/the-islands-treasured-by-offshore-tax-avoiders.html?ref=business

The new report describes “a modest five-story office building” known as Ugland House in the Cayman Islands. “It is the registered address for 18,857 companies.” The Cayman Islands have a population of about 55,200, so that is one company for every three people. And of course many companies are registered in other buildings.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Let us look at corporate taxes:
http://www.davidstuff.com/opinion/taxes.htm wrote:
The U.S. holds the honor of being the highest tax nation on Earth and probably in the solar system.  This is the principal reason that Ugland House exists.  Some politicians want to compound the problem by raising corporate taxes even higher.  Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and other Democrats have even promised, if elected, to impose a windfall profits tax on Exxon-Mobile and other oil companies. Exxon is the largest oil company in the U.S. and the 14th largest in the world.  Exxon has operations all over the world and they already have huge regional offices in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, Oman and Yemen.  Those countries tax corporations only on income earned in those countries and if Exxon is creating profits there, they are already paying those taxes.  Should the U.S. congress be successful in legislating a windfall profits tax on Exxon, just how long do you think it would be before Exxon packed up and moved their headquarters from Houston to one of their regional offices on the Arabian peninsula?  Say goodbye to ANOTHER U.S. corporation.

The U.S. is one of only two nations that taxes its citizens and corporations on their income from wherever it is derived. Anywhere and everywhere in the world. U.S. citizens are also taxed on investments directly or indirectly made through foreign trusts and foreign corporations, including offshore trusts and IBC's. Thus, the fact that an offshore jurisdiction may have low or no taxes does not mean that a U.S. citizen doing business there will enjoy only low or no taxes on the personal income made. There are simply no PERSONAL income tax advantages, at all, for U.S. citizens to use offshore structures, and anyone who tells you differently is telling you a falsehood. The U.S. congress does not care WHERE you make your income, they simply demand their share.

However, corporations are different. They are legal entities holding citizenship in the country where they are organized.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:38 pm

but what the actual tax rate is only of academic interest since corporations do not pay any. i can tell you this, no matter what the rate is, zero will always sound better to them. btw, the article your quote is from is from 2008. obama has since gotten elected; twice. has he imposed windfall profit taxes on exxon mobil?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:57 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:but what the actual tax rate is only of academic interest since corporations do not pay any. i can tell you this, no matter what the rate is, zero will always sound better to them. btw, the article your quote is from is from 2008. obama has since gotten elected; twice.  has he imposed windfall profit taxes on exxon mobil?

Ooh! That giant among Democrats:

Why do you think U.S. Senator Edward M. (Ted) Kennedy has moved his entire personal estate assets to an offshore trust located in Tortola, BVI? Possibly because BVI has no estate or death tax? Kennedy has few personal assets in the U.S. The family pays an annual rent (to cover property taxes, insurance, maintenance, operations, etc.) to his BVI trust for his considerable luxury compounds located in Martha's Vineyard, Palm Beach and elsewhere. I am a man of modest means, but when we both die I suspect my death tax bill will be larger than his.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:03 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:but what the actual tax rate is only of academic interest since corporations do not pay any. i can tell you this, no matter what the rate is, zero will always sound better to them. btw, the article your quote is from is from 2008. obama has since gotten elected; twice.  has he imposed windfall profit taxes on exxon mobil?

Why do you think U.S. Senator Edward M. (Ted) Kennedy has moved his entire personal estate assets to an offshore trust located in Tortola, BVI?  Possibly because BVI has no estate or death tax?  Kennedy has few personal assets in the U.S.  The family pays an annual rent (to cover property taxes, insurance, maintenance, operations, etc.) to his BVI trust for his considerable luxury compounds located in Martha's Vineyard, Palm Beach and elsewhere.  I am a man of modest means, but when we both die I suspect my death tax bill will be larger than his.

because he wasn't an idiot and because he could. buffett often says his tax rate should be higher, but that doesn't mean he pays a penny more than what he legally has to. we are discussing policy for everyone here, not what individuals choose to do under existing policies. it is clear that all rational individuals are going to maximize what they keep under existing laws (i.e. if they are inclined to obeying laws).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Why do you think U.S. Senator Edward M. (Ted) Kennedy has moved his entire personal estate assets to an offshore trust located in Tortola, BVI?  Possibly because BVI has no estate or death tax?  Kennedy has few personal assets in the U.S.  The family pays an annual rent (to cover property taxes, insurance, maintenance, operations, etc.) to his BVI trust for his considerable luxury compounds located in Martha's Vineyard, Palm Beach and elsewhere.  I am a man of modest means, but when we both die I suspect my death tax bill will be larger than his.

because he wasn't an idiot and because he could. buffett often says his tax rate should be higher, but that doesn't mean he pays a penny more than what he legally has to. we are discussing policy for everyone here, not what individuals choose to do under existing policies. it is clear that all rational individuals are going to maximize what they keep under existing laws (i.e. if they are inclined to obeying laws).

Stop complaining about Romney then.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

have i ever said romney has done anything illegal? he's such a straight arrow that i can't even imagine something like that.

when i say i wish romney pays the same effective tax rate i do, it's a statement about the laws and the mechanisms in place that allow him to do that, not a statement about romney's probity. and i pick on him because he is very much supportive of those policies.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

have i ever said romney has done anything illegal? he's such a straight arrow that i can't even imagine something like that.

Ha ha! You too vying for the spin master job, Il Professor-ai? I said complaining. Not that you said he did anything illegal.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:33 am

Pfizer deal to take over Astra-Zeneca of UK failed. Pfizer, if the deal had gne through, was planning to move its "registered office" to UK as corporate tax rates are much lower in UK. Remember the StarBucks paying a pittance in UK while making huge profits?

The system is totally screwed up. These accountants and Liars....I tell ya...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down