Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So Naidu bought my idea:-)

+4
Propagandhi711
Vakavaka Pakapaka
confuzzled dude
indophile
8 posters

Go down

So Naidu bought my idea:-)  Empty So Naidu bought my idea:-)

Post by indophile Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:21 am

Amaravati picked as new capital for SA!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Andhra-Pradesh-capital-in-Amaravati/articleshow/37602031.cms

indophile

Back to top Go down

So Naidu bought my idea:-)  Empty Re: So Naidu bought my idea:-)

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:34 am

Makes sense, his profit margins will shrink with current going rates in via/Gunther corridor; looks like a repeat of hitec city style scam, Wonder who is he partnering with this latest land scam err endeavor.

Srsly though, amaravati will be a tough sell for him as many of his party men have already invested in vijayawada area unless he provides them with some incentives

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:44 am

Great Indo!

Amaravati has a famous Sivaalayam. My father took me and my brother and we participated in laksha patri pooja. It is a punyakshetram. Incidentally, Satavahanas performed Aswamedha (unlike any of their contemporaries in India).

Hopefully, real estate sharks won't drive up the price of the land too much.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:51 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Great Indo!

Amaravati has a famous Sivaalayam. My father took me and my brother and we participated in laksha patri pooja. It is a punyakshetram. Incidentally, Satavahanas performed Aswamedha (unlike any of their contemporaries in India).

was there ever any buddhist dynasty in south india? I know some patronized buddhism but were there any converts among the kings/emperors?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:10 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

was there ever any buddhist dynasty in south india? I know some patronized buddhism but were there any converts among the kings/emperors?

not to my knowledge. pulakesi II was a great patron of buddhism and buddhist monks, but i think he himself was buddhist hindu. one of the pandya kings in TN was briefly a jain.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:14 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

Interesting question. Satavahanas came right after Asoka. Satavahanas were Hindus for sure (and the rulers did not convert into Buddhism), but they also helped Buddhist culture (not only in Amaravati but also SANCHI, etc.). On Rishikonda in Vizag, there are well preserved and organized Buddhist buildings belonging to that era. Satavahana coins were found in SE Asia as well and apparently, they spread Hinduism there.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:22 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Interesting question. Satavahanas came right after Asoka. Satavahanas were Hindus for sure (and the rulers did not convert into Buddhism), but they also helped Buddhist culture (not only in Amaravati but also SANCHI, etc.). On Rishikonda in Vizag, there are well preserved and organized Buddhist buildings belonging to that era. Satavahana coins were found in SE Asia as well and apparently, they spread Hinduism there.

I was asking coz I remember seeing buddhist imagery and inscriptions related to buddha on amaravathi stupham, along with some places on the way to warangal.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:31 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

I was asking coz I remember seeing buddhist imagery and inscriptions related to buddha on amaravathi stupham, along with some places on the way to warangal.

one thing about visiting these ancient places in andhra is how badly they're maintained. even in a cultural center of great historical importance like amaravathi, the old relics are just propped up against walls as an afterthought. contrast that with the great temples in tamilnadu and the saivaite temples in karnataka, it's pathetic. in amaravathi, the vasireddi clan built temples are much more well cared for than the ancient satavahana relics.

must say that they're much better cared for than the places in UP, bihar, orissa & bengal tho

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

one thing about visiting these ancient places in andhra is how badly they're maintained. even in a cultural center of great historical importance like amaravathi, the old relics are just propped up against walls as an afterthought. contrast that with the great temples in tamilnadu and the saivaite temples in karnataka, it's pathetic. in amaravathi, the vasireddi clan built temples are much more well cared for than the ancient satavahana relics.

must say that they're much better cared for than the places in UP, bihar, orissa & bengal tho
Yeah. Telugus in general are not known to preserve their heritage sites very well. Look at Telangana - they talk about Golkonda and Nizam (even through Nizam was a bastard) but not that much about Kakatiyas, Musunuri Nayakas, Ikshvakus and Satavahanas. In coastal areas, Palnadu, Bobbili, Vijayanagaram, Kondaveedu, Bhattiprolu, Chebrolu, Chandolu (of Velanadu kingdom), etc. are mostly neglected. Sri Sailam was well maintained by Reddy Kings. Choda and Chalukya dynasties contributed immensely to culture building in coastal areas.

These days in TN, DKheads are not taking care of temples. I visited Kanchi a few years ago. The locals complain about temples falling apart.  Incidentally, Pallavas may be originally from Andhra area.

In my view, many Nayakas that controlled different parts of SI (including Max's Tanjavur area), are from Andhra (and most likely, the Kamma caste and some Reddys come from those Nayakas; being called a "naidu - nayudu - nayaka" was an honorable thing - Brahmayya of Palnadu was called Brahmayya Naidu).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Andhra capital is amaravati on the banks of Krishna. sounds good.

Police,revenue,and few other ministries and assembly , secretariat and one or two other centers can be created in amaravati .
agricultural dept should in guntur , commerce in vijayawada and industry in ongole would be a good idea.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:03 pm

If you want to follow the US model of having small cities as capitals, it is OK. But if your idea is to develop it into a business hub that can compete with Hyderabad , then it is a bad idea. Put yourself in the shoes of a bureaucrat or a corporate head. Would you (like to move/be able to attract talent) to a place with no pubs,malls,established schools or multiplexes or even movie theaters ? Going to the pubs and nightclubs may not be your idea of fun but can you attract hot skilled talent or MNCs without these things. What will happen is that all the top and mid level bureaucrats will keep their families in Hyderabad and will be commuting in the weekends. And you know how it works. They will come to office in the monday afternoon and leave a little after noon on fridays.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:19 pm

You may think all those malls and other things will come as the place develops but it will be like పిచ్చి కుదిరితే గానీ పెళ్ళి కాదు పెళ్ళయితే గాని పిచ్చి కుదరదు kind of sittuation.
The loss of Hyderabad looks more and more depressing as the time goes on.
Recently KTR mentioned an anecdote. When he requested some IT companies to move to uppal and shamshabad , they gently declined to move from Gachchibowli.
He asked , if this is the situation , how can any company even move out of Hyderabad?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:26 pm

b_A wrote:You may think all those malls and other things will come as the place develops but it will be like పిచ్చి కుదిరితే గానీ పెళ్ళి కాదు  పెళ్ళయితే గాని పిచ్చి కుదరదు kind of sittuation.
The loss of Hyderabad looks more and more depressing as the time goes on.
Recently KTR mentioned an anecdote. When he requested  some IT companies to move to uppal and shamshabad , they gently declined to move from Gachchibowli.
He asked , if this is the situation , how can any company even move out of Hyderabad?
Have faith in Naidu duo & Modiji, in < 10 years A.P will have a megacity that will stand shoulder to shoulder with Hyderabad.

And yeah! stop being bitter & jealous, that advise did wonders to me, got me out of depression.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:34 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Have faith in Naidu duo & Modiji, in < 10 years A.P will have a megacity that will stand shoulder to shoulder with Hyderabad.

Unless there is a $20B (Rs. 1+ lakh crores) pumped in each year (Govt+Corporates) for the next 15-20 years, there is no way any place in AP can come to the standard of current Hyderabad. As of today the total assistance promised by Centre doesn't cross 10K crores. Also, what is the benefit for NaMo (or BJP) to give AP a City on par with Hyderabad? CBN may have interest and capability but without funding he cannot move a brick around.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:37 pm

b_A wrote:If you want to follow the US model of having small cities as capitals, it is OK. But if your idea is to develop it into a business hub that can compete with Hyderabad , then it is a bad idea. Put yourself in the shoes of a bureaucrat or a corporate head. Would you (like to move/be able to attract talent)  to a place with no pubs,malls,established schools or multiplexes or even movie theaters ? Going to the pubs and nightclubs may not be your idea of  fun but can you attract hot skilled talent or MNCs without these things. What will happen is that all the top and mid level bureaucrats will keep their families in Hyderabad and will be commuting in the weekends. And you know how it works. They will come to office in the monday afternoon and leave a little after noon on fridays.
Amaravati is not far from either Guntur or Vijayawada - within 20 min commute. They plan to build three bridges on Krishna at Gollapudi, Kanchikacherla and Nandigama. So, there will be fast access to Vijayawada. Also, there will be gated communities built with facilities, etc. between Amaravati and Guntur/Vijayawada. Malls will come up. If there are malls near Guntur/Vijayawada, most coastal people will have no incentive to go to Hyd for shopping. Most coastal people already go to Vijayawada for shopping (even from Vizag!). (Sometime ago, I placed an order in Vizag for a silver stuff (for pooja in mandapam). Since it was taking a long time, I complained to the shopkeeper. It turns out that the they were having it made in Tenali. Since Tenali is close to my village, I went and spoke to the guy making it.)

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
b_A wrote:If you want to follow the US model of having small cities as capitals, it is OK. But if your idea is to develop it into a business hub that can compete with Hyderabad , then it is a bad idea. Put yourself in the shoes of a bureaucrat or a corporate head. Would you (like to move/be able to attract talent)  to a place with no pubs,malls,established schools or multiplexes or even movie theaters ? Going to the pubs and nightclubs may not be your idea of  fun but can you attract hot skilled talent or MNCs without these things. What will happen is that all the top and mid level bureaucrats will keep their families in Hyderabad and will be commuting in the weekends. And you know how it works. They will come to office in the monday afternoon and leave a little after noon on fridays.
Amaravati is not far from either Guntur or Vijayawada - within 20 min commute. They plan to build three bridges on Krishna at Gollapudi, Kanchikacherla and Nandigama. So, there will be fast access to Vijayawada.
From the edge of vijayawada to the center itself takes more than 45 mins , I guess. And 45 min commute in India is not like 45 min commute in USA.
Again see the anecdote on Gachibowli. People don't want to move more than a couple of kilometers in India for a reason.
That's why the central areas in cities command a premium unlike in USA where inner cities are for the poor.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:06 pm

the hardest part for anyone to move from hyd to seemandhra would be the cosmopolitan nature of hyd and climate. it's hard to live in vijayawada/guntur etc during summer, let alone families leaving hyd's built up areas, eateries etc. only reason would be if they like the telugu culture to exclusion of other comforts, which a lot of ppl dont care abt. jmo

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:13 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:the hardest part for anyone to move from hyd to seemandhra would be the cosmopolitan nature of hyd and climate. it's hard to live in vijayawada/guntur etc during summer, let alone families leaving hyd's built up areas, eateries etc. only reason would be if they like the telugu culture to exclusion of other comforts, which a lot of ppl dont care abt. jmo
Telugu culture?!?! are you serious?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:16 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:the hardest part for anyone to move from hyd to seemandhra would be the cosmopolitan nature of hyd and climate. it's hard to live in vijayawada/guntur etc during summer, let alone families leaving hyd's built up areas, eateries etc. only reason would be if they like the telugu culture to exclusion of other comforts, which a lot of ppl dont care abt. jmo

where else do you think telugu culture is alive, if not in the coastal andhra belt?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

where else do you think telugu culture is alive, if not in the coastal andhra belt?
I think Telugu culture is not restricted a particular area, and definitely is not alive in any of the big cities. Kosta, RS and Telangana, all have their own intricacies of Telugu culture

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Why would andhra people move from hyd ?
security - they are more insecure today than a year ago but it is still lot of political talk.not trivial but not a motivator at this time.
jobs - andhra does not have any pull on jobs front.
gov - people in gov may move in few years but that is least 3 to 7 years away.
Commerce - there will be some new jobs and new business in ap and vijayawada.
industry - this is a real long process. need 3 to 5 to just start. 20 yeArs.
educational - new national institutions may be the only certain investments in next 5 yeArs.
unlike kcr creates a real security problem for andhras , movement will be a slow process gaining momentum after 3 plus years.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Amaravati is about 60 min from vijayawada and guntur. if capital is planned in distributed way it can slowly develop to meet those cities. it will be large urban contiguous areas like north east coastal usa .
good transportation and wide spaces can be constructed. water is easier.
temp will be real hot.
education and cultural facilities will catch up in less than year.
this area seems like a go.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:32 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I think Telugu culture is not restricted a particular area, and definitely is not alive in any of the big cities. Kosta, RS and Telangana, all have their own intricacies of Telugu culture

telangana culture might have a telugu component but it's a hybrid of several other influences with andhra. and even that isnt found in hyd in it's original form. rayalaseema telugu is closer to seemandhra culture, which is true in its original form imo

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:55 pm

truthbetold wrote:Why would andhra people move from hyd ?
security - they are more insecure today than a year ago but it is still lot of political talk.not trivial but not a motivator at this time.
jobs - andhra does not have any pull on jobs front.
gov - people in gov may move in few years but that is least 3 to 7 years away.
Commerce - there will be some new jobs and new business in ap and vijayawada.
industry - this is a real long process. need 3 to 5 to just start. 20 yeArs.
educational - new national institutions may be the only certain investments in next 5 yeArs.
unlike kcr creates a real security problem for andhras , movement will be a slow process gaining momentum after 3 plus years.
or it can turn into another naxal prone state (they are located from West Godavari to Srikakuam) if A.P can not overcome budget deficits, fails to create jobs or attract businesses.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

telangana culture might have a telugu component but it's a hybrid of several other influences with andhra. and even that isnt found in hyd in it's original form. rayalaseema telugu is closer to seemandhra culture, which is true in its original form imo
such as? remember, until nizam gave away residual A.P to British, it was all under his rule.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:09 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

such as? remember, until nizam gave away residual A.P to British, it was all under his rule.
Yeah, but culturally, coastal area was not influenced by the Nizams that much. From Satavahanas to Palnadu and Bobbili, the coastal areas have a strong and proud Telugu culture and some of it actually also moved to the other areas in SI. Incidentally, the Velamas in Telangana trace their ancestry to Velanadu (Guntur district). Many other communities from Velanadu also moved to the other areas (Velanadu Brahmins, for example; Kammas of Warangal/Khammam area - Musunuri Nayakas, etc.). Compare Nellore Reddys with Telangana Reddys - the cultural traits and traditions are different.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Yeah, but culturally, coastal area was not influenced by the Nizams that much. From Satavahanas to Palnadu and Bobbili, the coastal areas have a strong and proud Telugu culture and some of it actually also moved to the other areas in SI. Incidentally, the Velamas in Telangana trace their ancestry to Velanadu (Guntur district). Many other communities from Velanadu also moved to the other areas (Velanadu Brahmins, for example; Kammas of Warangal/Khammam area - Musunuri Nayakas, etc.). Compare Nellore Reddys with Telangana Reddys - the cultural traits and traditions are different.
likewise Toorpu reddys traditions differ from Nellore  Reddys and RS Reddys traditions differ from Toorpu Reddys, what's your point?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Who is toorpu reddy?
nellore reddys claim to be descendents of reddy rajulu and their army.
Their marriages are limited to their own group.
Khammam area mamma's claim to be local people or the migration is from khammam to coastal districts. Their culture is closer coastal districts.
Khammam people also claim to have the best telugu. They gave us viswanatha and kaloji.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down