Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stocks - buy, sell or hold?

5 posters

Go down

Stocks - buy, sell or hold? Empty Stocks - buy, sell or hold?

Post by harharmahadev Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:18 pm

What's your opinion?

Is it time to buy? or is it time to sell? or just stay put.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Stocks - buy, sell or hold? Empty Re: Stocks - buy, sell or hold?

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:26 pm

I am staying out for a little bit (a few days.) I will reevaluate towards the end of next week.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:58 pm

I don't have an answer to your question. But just my two cents on the current market.

US is growing slowly but economy is strong enough to not slip into recession. However the continuous efforts of right wing nuts in house and senate could sap the energy of the govt and create issues with growth. Those partisans may not realize but they will create long term decline of American standing in the world.

Europe is in a sorry position. They got Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Italy, Spain and other weak countries. They expect France and Germany to solve the euro problem. Merkel is unwilling, un able and inexperienced for the current task. She may be too German focused to do anything useful and forceful to change the situation. France it self is a troubled economy. Europe may have a long turmoil with halfhearted attempts and failures.

Asia will be forced to scale back but natural development momentum in Asia may keep it moving forward. Poor western economy may hurt Exports but it may make ASIA turn inward. Another positive could be a drop in gas prices due to slow down in west.

None of these problems are going to be solved overnight. Even if someone says that is the case, one or more of these problem could break out and cause short term huge crisis (liquidity, confidence etc.). Trouble is the norm for a few years.

Gold may hold value for a while. Solid stocks like APPLE may continue to preserve capital. small stocks and risk stocks could go up and down dramatically. If I buy into those ones, I plan to be short term and be ready to jump. Warren Buffet's method looks good right now.

I am part in and part out. Speculate in short term , solid stocks, keep a portion aside for unexpected (could be gold but gold is also very high now) times. Listen, Read but think for yourself.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:59 pm

Erased. Posted twice.

Last edited by truthbetold on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : posted twice)

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:50 am

There are long term structural problems with the Western economies. If you have stocks, hold; if you don't, buy IT stocks on dips or use this opportunity to buy stocks of developing countries.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:52 pm

CroMagnon wrote:There are long term structural problems with the Western economies. If you have stocks, hold; if you don't, buy IT stocks on dips or use this opportunity to buy stocks of developing countries.

Why IT stocks? Is it because they do not have capital equipment? One of the first things a firm could slow down in a poor economy is IT spending. ???

What is your list of developing nations. Mine includes BRICS (S for SA) and Turkey. Any others in Mind?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:01 pm

truthbetold wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:There are long term structural problems with the Western economies. If you have stocks, hold; if you don't, buy IT stocks on dips or use this opportunity to buy stocks of developing countries.

Why IT stocks? Is it because they do not have capital equipment? One of the first things a firm could slow down in a poor economy is IT spending. ???

What is your list of developing nations. Mine includes BRICS (S for SA) and Turkey. Any others in Mind?

The companies have kept IT spending on hold for quite a while. They have to open their wallets and invest in IT to keep competitive. You can stay in the old building for a decade more if you have to, but you cannot stay on obsolete hardware and software.

But I would suggest investing in stocks of the future (cloud computing etc.) instead of stocks of the past (cisco, msft etc.).

In BRICS, I do not like Russia. Not that I know much about that country, but I know enough to be scared of what might happen there. Other countries are relatively more stable. Others than BRICS, I think Indonesia has great potential. I think Indonesian stocks have outperformed the BRICS stocks.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Cloud seems to lead to Microsoft and Google. Any other names?

Indonesia is a great suggestion. I followed it for a while. South Korea is another name but I would not call it a developing nation.

Russia is a troubled nation with unlimited potential. Stock investing in Russia is riskier (or dangerous) for your wealth and health.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:16 pm

truthbetold wrote:Cloud seems to lead to Microsoft and Google. Any other names?

MS is a thing of past. Google is good. CRM (salesforce.com) is good. Not sure about Riverbed, but it could turn out to be a good investment at the current valuation. Rackspace too. I don't like F5 that much.

In other IT stocks, I like Netflix and in the short term AAPL might be a good play if the markets make a move to the upside. I wouldn't suggest buying and holding on to AAPL for a very long time though.

Russia is a troubled nation with unlimited potential. Stock investing in Russia is riskier (or dangerous) for your wealth and health.

That is exactly how I feel.

CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Netflix has potential. Worried that its too richly valued at this time. It has to prove that it can handle big time rivals jumping into the field. Mgmt has credibility but need to see performance. Stock has done exceptionally well.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:33 pm

CroMagnon wrote:

MS is a thing of past. Google is good. CRM (salesforce.com) is good. Not sure about Riverbed, but it could turn out to be a good investment at the current valuation. Rackspace too. I don't like F5 that much.

In other IT stocks, I like Netflix and in the short term AAPL might be a good play if the markets make a move to the upside. I wouldn't suggest buying and holding on to AAPL for a very long time though.

CRM is the mantra of the day. google is close. but MS has hit big time with share point. my two cents.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:

CRM is the mantra of the day. google is close. but MS has hit big time with share point. my two cents.
I like Android and all, but I am not sure about GOOG. I did make a nice 10% return last time I bought that stock, but in terms of capturing tech upside, I think AAPL stock is much better.

I am waiting for Netflix to drop -- will pick up if it dips 10% to ~220.

I would go nowhere near MSFT. That company is done.

Another interest cloud play: AMZN
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:47 pm

AAPL Goog, AMZN are current Horsemen of the internet. Netflix and CRM could added.

MSFT and CSCO are shelved. INTC, HPQ are ignored. Dell is truly dead.

Motorola split into two. Is the tablet side doing OK to think about?

JDSU went up sharply for a while. Any comments on that?

These are all old names with winners and losers tags. Where are the new candidates?

SQNS ? _ Cramer pumped it few weeks ago as 4G vehicle.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:52 pm

truthbetold wrote:AAPL Goog, AMZN are current Horsemen of the internet. Netflix and CRM could added.

MSFT and CSCO are shelved. INTC, HPQ are ignored. Dell is truly dead.

Motorola split into two. Is the tablet side doing OK to think about?

JDSU went up sharply for a while. Any comments on that?

These are all old names with winners and losers tags. Where are the new candidates?

SQNS ? _ Cramer pumped it few weeks ago as 4G vehicle.

Apple leads the tablet market i think followed by HP...

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Impedimenta wrote:Apple leads the tablet market i think followed by HP...

Do you mean HP TouchPad? I don't think it sold as many pieces as Xoom itself. Sammy is the number 2 in tablet space. Galaxy Tab 10.1 is truly a very good product.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Impedimenta wrote:CRM is the mantra of the day. google is close. but MS has hit big time with share point. my two cents.

SharePoint is a collaboration software which is just one part of the whole cloud thing. I do not think GOOG and MSFT have any direct competition. MSFT operates in the corporate arena where as GOOG's focus is individuals. In the retail space MSFT comes with too big a baggage to be competitive.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Coming to Samsung, I have no clue about its stock, but it is truly a great company. It is doing great in Televisions, Cellphones, Tablets, Kitchen appliances and even their Laptops are very good (though not selling as much). If all this hasn't already been priced in, it could be a very good investment.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down