Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discrimination against the Dhoti

+9
bw
Kayalvizhi
b_A
Propagandhi711
indophile
MaxEntropy_Man
truthbetold
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Hellsangel
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Discrimination against the Dhoti - Page 2 Empty Re: Discrimination against the Dhoti

Post by truthbetold Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:09 pm

veshti or lungi or pancha are all appropriate for hot south indian conditions.  

Pants and pajama are for colder climates.  

Clubs in Andhra allow any decent dress.  Chennai , for some reason, is still clinging onto colonial thinking. 

One of the reasons given was to avoid wardrobe malfunction after few drinks.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Discrimination against the Dhoti - Page 2 Empty Re: Discrimination against the Dhoti

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:
I proved my position 4 ways.

1) showed you the root of the word
2) showed you it is not used during the time of 3rd Tamil academy
3) sh is not a Tamil letter
4) Opinion of recognized scholars

*much balderdash deleted*

you did nothing of the kind. here are a few pointers on etymological research if you are keen to know how to do this right.

a) find other cognates in your own language.
b) find cognates with similar meanings in other related languages.
c) see if the cognates transform using established and well known rules between languages.

you did none of this. you simply pulled something out of thin air and made tall claims. like i said, rashmun is more your speed.

in this particular case, my own guess (and nothing more) is that the word came from sanskrit vastra, meaning cloth.

edited to add: and it turns out i don't even have to go that far. the word is present as is in sanskrit.

Your argument shows your half-baked knowledge of linguistics or arguing all dogs have 3 legs.

I showed you conclusively vEtti is from vettu, and thus a Tamil word and not derived from Sanskrit.

First you argued that vettu will change to vetti and not vEtti. When I demolished that argument, you say finding roots is not a scientific process. Not true.

Using root words to find origins of words is an established process
https://www.msu.edu/~defores1/gre/roots/gre_rts_afx2.htm

It is interesting that you dispute vettu as the root of vEtti but say vastra as root (origin) for vEtti. which has less morphing?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:45 pm

It is a scientific process. where did i say it was not? if anything you are the one pulling wild speculations out of your ass. in fact i gave one non-biased (german source) which suggests that vEshti is a sanskrit word. if anything it is i, not you who gave any sort of algorithm for finding etymological roots. your algorithm was to reach into the deep caverns of your nether orifice.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:52 pm

No further discussion on this topic with Max who, out of desperation, goes into unprofessional posting.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:55 pm

KV you get paid in the same coin. no point calling me half baked and then expecting that i won't say something similar.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:
I proved my position 4 ways.

1) showed you the root of the word
2) showed you it is not used during the time of 3rd Tamil academy
3) sh is not a Tamil letter
4) Opinion of recognized scholars

*much balderdash deleted*

you did nothing of the kind. here are a few pointers on etymological research if you are keen to know how to do this right.

a) find other cognates in your own language.
b) find cognates with similar meanings in other related languages.
c) see if the cognates transform using established and well known rules between languages.

you did none of this. you simply pulled something out of thin air and made tall claims. like i said, rashmun is more your speed.

in this particular case, my own guess (and nothing more) is that the word came from sanskrit vastra, meaning cloth.

edited to add: and it turns out i don't even have to go that far. the word is present as is in sanskrit.

Your argument shows your half-baked knowledge of linguistics or arguing all dogs have 3 legs.

I showed you conclusively vEtti is from vettu, and thus a Tamil word and not derived from Sanskrit.

First you argued that vettu will change to vetti and not vEtti. When I demolished that argument, you say finding roots is not a scientific process. Not true.

Using root words to find origins of words is an established process
https://www.msu.edu/~defores1/gre/roots/gre_rts_afx2.htm

It is interesting that you dispute vettu as the root of vEtti but say vastra as root (origin) for vEtti. which has less morphing?

perfect punctuation and quotes with no typos. way to go, girl!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:03 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:KV you get paid in the same coin. no point calling me half baked and then expecting that i won't say something similar.

I did not call you half-baked. I said that you have half-baked knowledge of linguistics. That is you have some knowledge of linguistics but do not have the breadth.

Your response is not of the same order (caliber) as saying that you have half-baked knowledge of linguistics.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Dhauti (Sanskrit) is becoming fashion again:

Discrimination against the Dhoti - Page 2 3439099-jodhpuri-style-dhoti-sherwani

Just imagine a man in a dhauti with a woman in a saree:

Discrimination against the Dhoti - Page 2 4074-A

Hmm.....

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:35 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:KV you get paid in the same coin. no point calling me half baked and then expecting that i won't say something similar.

I did not call you half-baked. I said that you have half-baked knowledge of linguistics. That is you have some knowledge of linguistics but do not have the breadth.

Your response is not of the same order (caliber) as saying that you have half-baked knowledge of linguistics.

sorry if you were hurt by that. but i don't like stupidity, particularly the pretense of stupidity. i really don't think even you believe what you wrote about the origins of vEshti/vEtti. there was just no basis for it at all. if you really believe that, then we'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:00 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/under-fire-for-turning-away-dhoti-clad-judge-elite-chennai-club-rethinks-dress-code-558498

I have faced snide remarks whenever I went inside those glossy offices in my Veshti. I enjoyed the look on their faces when I usually spoke in English a couple of sentences before I left.
In other words, you readily accept the specious notion that, in the TN of 2014, one must speak in English, even though it may be your familiar "butler english," in order to be respected. how disappointing!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2