Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rajaji, the social reformer

Go down

Rajaji, the social reformer Empty Rajaji, the social reformer

Post by sambarvada Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:37 am

Gandhi Ashram

Tiruchengodu

My dear Devadas

I have been away from my place since 21st and will be there only tomorrow. I am writing this from Salem where I have broken journey for a day. I am returning from Chittoor where I argued a case in court!

(As perhaps you have already read in the papers) you can read a report of this unexpected event in The Hindu of 23 December.

A panchama was convicted by the sub-magistrate of Tirupati because in a fit of devotion and exultation of mind he went inside along with other pilgrims into the famous temple at Tiruchanoor. I read a report of the judgment in the papers with indignation. Later on I was requested to help in the appeal filed by the man and I readily agreed. I went and the gentleman an MLC and Vakil in charge of the case asked me if I would argue the case. I said if I could speak in court as a private gentleman specially requested by the appellant — which procedure is open to every accused person in a criminal case — I would gladly do it but I could not appear as a vakil filing a vakalat. The court agreed to this course and I fired away. Of course the event is a shock to the Non-Cooperator's conscience. But every rule is observed best by breaking the letter of it when the occasion arises in a supremely compelling way. The case of a perfectly devoted and earnest pariah rushing into the temple to see his God and offer worship and the police catching him and prosecuting him took me out of the mechanical groove of doctrine. He was not a satyagrahi, he was not a reformer, nor a hero. But he was a panchama who came year after year to the temple for the last ten years and was content to break his coconut from outside the gate. This year somehow he felt he was also worthy to go nearer. I suppose the pulse of agitation had unconsciously touched his soul and when a crowd of pilgrims came shouting Govinda! Govinda! The Tirupati pilgrims' war cry, he forgot himself and the law imposed on his unfortunate class. And he went in. Surely, I can't stand aside resting on the creed of Boycott of Courts and see this man convicted for "insulting religion"!

I fear the event might be misunderstood and purposely hooked on by designers and enemies. However I have done it and I have obtained an acquittal too of the man. I felt a bit queer when standing and addressing without turban or coat and with only my khadi chaddar over my head and shoulders as at home and was prepared to be objected to and to retire. But the magistrate was all courtesy and felt keenly interested. So I went on as if I had never stopped practice these seven years.

Yours affectionately,

Anna

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mag/2002/12/22/stories/2002122200220100.htm

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Rajaji, the social reformer Empty Re: Rajaji, the social reformer

Post by sambarvada Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:48 am

But every rule is observed best by breaking the letter of it when the occasion arises in a supremely compelling way.

===> Rajaji was a man of towering intellect.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down