Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bharat ratna for Atal behari

+2
confuzzled dude
truthbetold
6 posters

Go down

bharat ratna for Atal behari  Empty bharat ratna for Atal behari

Post by truthbetold Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Times of India is speculating that on Aug 15,  Vajpayee may be awarded  Bharat ratna award.  Other names include Netaji and madan mohan malavya. All three deserve the award. In fact they enhance the prestige of the award.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

bharat ratna for Atal behari  Empty Re: bharat ratna for Atal behari

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:50 pm

He doesn't deserve, solely based on this

"Vajpayee's first exposure to politics was in August 1942, when he and his elder brother Prem were arrested for 23 days during the Quit India movement, when he was released only after giving a written undertaking, expressly declaring not to participate in any of the anti-British struggle and naming the underground leaders, leading the 'Quit India Movement'."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atal_Bihari_Vajpayee

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:58 pm

AB surely is more deserving than the other two. Reciting sappy poetry while hugging Pakis even as they were invading Kargil is a historic achievement unparalleled ever since.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:54 am

Sure. Gandhi should not be called mahatma because he slept next to his grand daughter when he was 70.

Look at a person's life's work.  

CD, 

You are quick to pin labels on your ideological opponents but have no sense of shame to support corrupt uncles like YSR. 

I will ignore the stupid comment about kargil.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:17 am

truthbetold wrote:Sure. Gandhi should not be called mahatma because he slept next to his grand daughter when he was 70.

CD, 

You are quick to pin labels on your ideological opponents but have no sense of shame to support corrupt uncles like YSR. 

What body of work, what were his accomplishments on his own?  other than being a reputation as a good orator he didn't do much. Your comparison to Gandhi is irrelevant, in Vajpayee's case he gave other freedom fighters names to British Govt. & got them arrested so he could be released, and you want India to confer highest civilian award to him.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:23 am

truthbetold wrote:Sure. Gandhi should not be called mahatma because he slept next to his grand daughter when he was 70.

CD, 

Let Comrade whine. He has taken over the mantle on this forum from the other die nasty worshipper.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:28 am

Hellsangel wrote:

CD, 

Let Comrade whine. He has taken over the mantle on this forum from the other die nasty worshipper.
You make ZERO sense, what's the relation between this and Congress.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:31 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

CD, 

Ah! Die nasty worshipper did make sense to you, Comrade.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 am

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

CD, 

I gave my reason for opposing; as usual you and your buddies can't focus on the subject you guys have started

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:55 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

CD, 

I gave my reason for opposing; as usual you and your buddies can't focus on the subject you guys have started

Comrade, if Mother Teresa were a member of the BJP, you would find a reason to bash her.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:10 am

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Comrade, if Mother Teresa were a member of the BJP, you would find a reason to bash her.
What nonsense! I see Vajpayee as liberal a leader as one can be in that right-wing nut party.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:13 am

you mean vaj-pee one of the architects of the babri masjid demolition?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 am

Bharat Ratna is a joke anyway. Even M G Ramachandran and Rajiv Gandhi got it.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:20 am

why not rahul dravid? tendulkar got it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:21 am

Why not Kapil?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:27 am

i think a case can be made for both. kapil along with gavaskar, but probably more than him, was the first to instill a sense that indians can win against the toughest competition.

dravid in addition to being a rock solid #3 for india has been a great ambassador for the game, a gentleman whose game and attitude to it personified all the classicism of a bygone era, and is well respected by all opponents.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:31 am

ya, Dravid is a great guy. No question about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:39 am

Ha
mother teresa. right on the money.

cd
i am not comparing gandhi to vajpayee. i am merely pointing your propensity to pick inconsrquential things to clai.m you have supporting evidence.

Vajpayee led his party to victory after quit india movement, babri majid, and kargil war.

those who have a propensity to apply litmus tests to.other people refuse to identify jihadists as a threat despite numerous innocent murders.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:44 am

truthbetold wrote:Ha
mother teresa. right on the money.

cd
i am not comparing gandhi to vajpayee.  i am merely pointing your propensity to pick inconsrquential things to clai.m you have supportin evidence.

Vajpayee led his party to victory after quit india movement, babri majid, and kargil war.

those who have a propensity to apply litmus tests to.other people refuse to identify jihadists as a threat despite numerous innocent murders.
another pointless post; no one is talking about conferring Bharata Ratna to Jihadists or YSR.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:50 am

The truth about RSS's Desh Bhakti:

"In 1942, Vajpayee, officially under 16, was already a dedicated and active member of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and well versed with politics. The RSS as a movement had no association with the freedom struggle - choosing, ideologically and politically, not to oppose the British colonial authority. (See accompanying story in this investigation by Manini Chatterjee.)Frontline's investigation shows that against such a backdrop, contrary to the propaganda of the Sangh Parivar and his own bio-data summary, Vajpayee did not participate in the Quit India movement as a "freedom fighter" in his home village of Bateshwar. "

http://www.frontline.in/static/html/fl1503/15031150.htm

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:55 am

A few excerpts from that frontline article:

There are three noteworthy features of this confessional statement.

The first feature is that the young Vajpayee - who was self-admittedly a member of an "unlawful assembly" out to "break the forest laws" and could quite easily have been prosecuted under Section 149 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), given the harshly repressive approach of the times - dissociates himself from the activity and the intentions of the protestors. He says that although "I along with my brother followed the crowd" and witnessed the event, "I did not cause any damage. I did not render any assistance in demolishing the government building." Vajpayee says, in effect: I was part of the crowd, but I did not share its objectives and I did not participate in any culpable act. This point is of exceptional importance since, half a century later, the Sangh Parivar has sought to lionise its Prime Minister-In-Waiting for the fighting, if not heroic, role he played in 1942 - a role he explicitly denied then and has denied again, in his January 1998 interview to Frontline.

Secondly, the confessional statement describes, in the detail possible in a short statement, the course that the protest took in Bateshwar on August 27, 1942. Although Frontline's investigation has found that Vajpayee's statement was not used by the prosecution in the trial that was to follow, there is no gainsaying the fact that the statement provided the kind of educated description of events around which the police could have built a case against the protestors. (This, in fact, is a specific criticism levelled against Atal Behari by Kakua alias Liladhar Bajpai, one of the instigators of the militant incidents in Bateshwar in 1942.)

Thirdly, the statement names two leaders of the protestors, "Kakua alias Liladhar and Mahuan", both of whom were tried in the case. According to Atal Behari's "truly related" account of the proceedings, these two "came to the Ala and delivered a speech and persuaded the people to break the forest laws." While Mahuan alias Shiv Kumar was given the benefit of doubt and acquitted, Kakua alias Liladhar was convicted and sentenced to three years' rigorous imprisonment.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Who is next, Savarkar? Why not Bhagat Singh, unlike some, he refused to plead for clemency.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Good choices both Vajpayee and Malaviya. They deserve the award.

I'll not speculate who could be next.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down