Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have a degree from Yale

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
confuzzled dude
6 posters

Go down

I have a degree from Yale  Empty I have a degree from Yale

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:22 am

New Delhi: The controversy over HRD Minister mriti Irani's educational qualifications has taken a new turn ith her assertion that she also has a degree from the prestigious Yale University in the US.

Irani (38) made the remark when pressed by a questioner at the India Today Woman Summit 2014 here to clear the "mystery" over her educational degrees.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/140810/nation-current-affairs/article/i-have-degree-yale-university-hrd-minister-smriti-irani-says

-> Like brother like sister... very modest about her accomplishments Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

I have a degree from Yale  Empty Re: I have a degree from Yale

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:11 am

confuzzled dude wrote:New Delhi: The controversy over HRD Minister mriti Irani's educational qualifications has taken a new turn ith her assertion that she also has a degree from the prestigious Yale University in the US.

Irani (38) made the remark when pressed by a questioner at the India Today Woman Summit 2014 here to clear the "mystery" over her educational degrees.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/140810/nation-current-affairs/article/i-have-degree-yale-university-hrd-minister-smriti-irani-says

That makes her inferior to the Harvard-DEGREED Shazada.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:55 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:New Delhi: The controversy over HRD Minister mriti Irani's educational qualifications has taken a new turn ith her assertion that she also has a degree from the prestigious Yale University in the US.

Well, looks like the Gandhi family is not the only one faking educational degrees.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Obnoxious wrote:
Well, looks like the Gandhi family is not the only one faking educational degrees.

Faking degrees is rampant in India and Indians - lying in resume is now a given.everyone wants to be a DOCTORATE and hence PhD is on sale as much as BE or MBBS admission/degrees.

Oh...the desis in US are notorious in claiming to have done M B A after doing an Executive MBA...Razz They NEVER ever mention it and only experienced guys can figure it out on a resume.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:11 pm

why should they specify exec MBA? i think the diploma doesn't have the word 'executive' in it. so when they say they have an MBA, they are speaking the truth. this seems to be more some specific gripe that you have.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:why should they specify exec MBA? i think the diploma doesn't have the word 'executive' in it. so when they say they have an MBA, they are speaking the truth. this seems to be more some specific gripe that you have.

yes.. I have... I have never seen a diploma - be it MBA or Exec MBA. If they are the same, why do they have TWO different types ? Not to mention a part-time MBA, whose students sit along with regular MBAs.

Exec MBA are NOT taught by the regular business school faculty for most part. Does the Exec MBA make them eligible to take CPA and CFA board exams ?..?? I doubt it.

Another major gripe I have is MBBS from India being given an MD on a platter after passing step 2. Why? Why O why ? No otehr ocuntry does it. There is a DO and DNP in US. DO is not given a MD degree and why not give MBBS guys DO or simply DNP - since India has a legit MD program. No Otehr country does this even if the MBBS is employed after passing tehir board exams - in UK and Australia. Funny how these MBBS people look down on the DO guys...when they got their real education from Dr. Thalapathi Stalin Medical Sciences Institute in Aaavudaiyaan palayam. I have nothing against MBBS taking the exam and practicing....but why a free MD degree - even if it is equivalent.

Were you given a BS degree for your B.Tech degree? because US also has B.Tech degrees which has a MUCH lower standing. same way only.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:36 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:

Faking degrees is rampant in India and Indians - lying in resume is now a given.everyone wants to be a DOCTORATE and hence PhD is on sale as much as BE or MBBS admission/degrees.

Oh...the desis in US are notorious in claiming to have done M B A after doing an Executive MBA...Razz They NEVER ever mention it and only experienced guys can figure it out on a resume.  
Wonder if that's a by-product of the system, removing degree requirements for the jobs that don't really need a degree might help curb this problem.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:42 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:

Wonder if that's a by-product of the system, removing degree requirements for the jobs that don't really need a degree might help curb this problem.

this has to do with more than jobs. Every industrialist and politican has a college now and buys a "Doctorate" and everyone is required to address him as "Dr." a PhD who returned to India told me about the ignominy he has to go through addressing the faksters as "Dr." when they dont bother reciprocating although he has a PhD from a top US univ in a highly specialized field. He is a good sportster and he laughs it off.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:44 pm

"George Gollin, a board member of the U.S.-based Council for Higher Education Accreditation, told CNN he estimates that more than 100,000 fake degrees are sold each year in the U.S. alone. Of those, around one third are postgraduate degrees. He added that a bogus degree will typically cost $1,000"

http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/01/11/fake.college.degrees/

in China:
http://www.economist.com/node/21558318

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:"George Gollin, a board member of the U.S.-based Council for Higher Education Accreditation, told CNN he estimates that more than 100,000 fake degrees are sold each year in the U.S. alone. Of those, around one third are postgraduate degrees. He added that a bogus degree will typically cost $1,000"

http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/01/11/fake.college.degrees/

in China:
http://www.economist.com/node/21558318

Why read all these reports?

Just look at the ad above this page "Colorado technical University"

Really ? I was curious and looked at the faculty... the whole frikkin univ has some 4 or 5 guys and only one seemed to have a legit degree - but who knows.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:22 am

lol at this joke going around:

If you don't stop Yale-ing at me, I will show my yell degree! #SmritiIrani

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:38 am

yale offers programs of this kind. you'll find more info about it here. it seems like a worthwhile and interesting program. it's possible that irani attended it or something similar. still, she would not receive a degree, only a certificate of completion.

i searched for irani's name at the program's site but could not find it.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:39 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:lol at this joke going around:

scratch

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:52 am

michelle2 wrote:yale offers programs of this kind. you'll find more info about it here. it seems like a worthwhile and interesting program. it's possible that irani attended it or something similar. still, she would not receive a degree, only a certificate of completion.

i searched for irani's name at the program's site but could not find it.

many of these IVY leagues offer 1 month summer "leadership" courses. She (and Shazada Pappu) probably attended one such course letting them fudge and claim the harvard/Yale tag to their name.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:58 am

michelle2 wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:lol at this joke going around:

scratch

pun of the bhenkatrao kind;

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:39 pm

A 6 day certificate from Yale is now a degree? Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:43 pm

southindian wrote:A 6 day certificate from Yale is now a degree? Smile

There is no law in any country for lying on your degree or qualification. Only if you are a certified professional who is practicing on your own - professional engineer, dotor, PLUMBER, electrician, day care service, etc..

At best an employer may fire you or refuse to hire you if you dont prove your credentials. But, not in politics.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down