Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Qostin

2 posters

Go down

Qostin Empty Qostin

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Reading about Smriti Irani, the Yale-educated minister, a thought occurred to me.

People, especially desis, are known to exaggerate their qualifications sky-high and blatantly lie about their degrees and claim degrees and now routines claim (MBA), (PhD) behind their names.

But, is it lying if one does not mention their degrees or exaggerate their job position?

I have four different (at least) business cards and only one has true credentials - ironically that is the one I have never used. If at all, I use only the other 3 cards. When in India, I never tell what I do for a living - be it govt office, police, banks or airlines. Mostly, I will be a a high school teacher or a shop floor supervisor or work in IBM...depending on the situation and whether I am in a Veshti, lungi or jeans/pants. Of course, the only agenda here is to protect information about myself from unnecessary people.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Qostin Empty Re: Qostin

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:20 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
People, especially desis, are known to exaggerate their qualifications sky-high and blatantly lie about their degrees and claim degrees
If you mean exaggerating on the resume, that's just not Desi trait everyone in the US does it
and now routines claim (MBA), (PhD) behind their names.
must be one of those lingering colonial habits.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:26 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
People, especially desis, are known to exaggerate their qualifications sky-high and blatantly lie about their degrees and claim degrees
If you mean exaggerating on the resume, that's just not Desi trait everyone in the US does it
and now routines claim (MBA), (PhD) behind their names.
must be one of those lingering colonial habits.

It is worse with desis bcz they have an inherent inferiority complex and realize late the importance and "status" degrees "supposedly" offer. No wonder Smirti Irani mentioned BA seond year (correspondence) and all that crap. Just mention what is COMPLETED. It clearly shows their mindset. reminds me of a movie where the comedian always says he was 8th grade fail (notice I claim only 10th grade fail).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:31 pm

An interesting blog on claiming credentials on business cards in the US.

In India, they list everything from fifth grade and all society memberships after their name. Silly at best.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down