Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BEWARE - two scams

+6
FluteHolder
smArtha
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kris
indophile
MaxEntropy_Man
10 posters

Go down

BEWARE - two scams  Empty BEWARE - two scams

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:13 am

i've been at the receiving end of two telephone scams currently running in the US by indians (not sure whether they are from  india or located right here).

1) person calls you at home and in a very stern voice tell you they are from the local county police department or federal bureau (notice the absence of the word investigation at the end) and say there is an arrest warrant in your name and that you should turn yourself in or that you'll be arrested at home within 45 mins (so nice of them to give me a warning ahead of time).  i first asked them what i was being arrested for and the guy got very angry.   i told them to come home to get me and i'll make sure i have hot chai ready for them when they arrive.  later upon googling i found that this is some indian outfit trying to pull a scam.  apparently they'll threaten you and when they soften you up ask for some reasonable sounding amount as a fine to make the warrant go away.  we didn't get to that step.

2) person calls you from a 0-00-000-000 number (that's how it showed up on my phone) and tell you that they are from the "computer department" (haha!) and that your computer has been sending viruses to their engineering department. the first time this happened, i asked the caller which company he was with and he let loose a barrage of swear words -- the whole enchilada - f, mf, sf in hindi.  i politely asked him if he was from haryana, delhi, or punjab.  the second time it was a woman with a strong bengali accent. same conversation, and then when we got to the point where i asked her which company she was employed with, she abruptly disconnected on me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

BEWARE - two scams  Empty Re: BEWARE - two scams

Post by Guest Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:20 am

As a point I don't pick up my phone when I don't recognize the number. Then I google it. If they left a message, I google the message. This is on my cell phone.

At home, I get left messages like, some tax faults and fines, or collection, or credit fraud. I promptly delete the message.

One day XH picked up and talked (or I think he heard the voice mail and actually called back - just to check, that's his explanation). They said something about tax fraud and mailing fine. XH was like, I didn't get anything in mail. They said it was sent out but returned because of wrong address. XH asked for more validations, he got mad and began saying why he doesn't trust him and he will hold him accountable in court for disrespecting an officer and such. XH told him to never call back. They hung up on a bitter note. He then googled the number to hear similar stories.

Edit: Regarding computer virus... now that I think of it, I remember picking up that one a year or so ago. I had laughed and hung up. I read on FB some granny's computer was hacked and after the case resolved, she was paid back the $300 that was scammed out of her.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:26 am

There is this interesting one too (actually two versions of a scam of a somewhat similar nature).

1. You get a call saying you didn't fail to report for jury duty and you must pay a fine. For details call this number....
You would of course say .... "okay buddy, mail me your notice," anf that shuts them up. Courts do not call.

2. Same type of call, but this time it's purportedly from "IRS," for mistakes on your returm which resulted in some penalties. Same response is advised for this one too.... "mail me the notice." IRS does not call about penalties or mistakes. It sends you a notice by mail.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:30 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:As a point I don't pick up my phone when I don't recognize the number. Then I google it. If they left a message, I google the message. This is on my cell phone.

At home, I get left messages like, some tax faults and fines, or collection, or credit fraud. I promptly delete the message.

One day XH picked up and talked (or I think he heard the voice mail and actually called back - just to check, that's his explanation). They said something about tax fraud and mailing fine. XH was like, I didn't get anything in mail. They said it was sent out but returned because of wrong address. XH asked for more validations, he got mad and began saying why he doesn't trust him and he will hold him accountable in court for disrespecting an officer and such. XH told him to never call back. They hung up on a bitter note. He then googled the number to hear similar stories.

Edit: Regarding computer virus... now that I think of it, I remember picking up that one a year or so ago. I had laughed and hung up. I read on FB some granny's computer was hacked and after the case resolved, she was paid back the $300 that was scammed out of her.

>>>The IRS scam guys have strong Indian accents and identify themselves as John Smith or something. Just to piss them off, tell them you want to talk to someone who speaks English and pretend you don't understand. I called back the number and did this a couple of times and never heard back. I thought if they called again, I would pretend they were calling from Domino's and proceed to change my pizza order.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:35 am

Better still, we can act as hearing impaired, and express our joy for winning a lottery, and offer loud kisses to the messenger on the phone.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:47 am

hahaha...

I am glad that these scamsters have not heard Kansas....

But, I already made plans on what I read here.

1. I am going to soften up and make a deal and see where it leads me to.

2. a couple of options: either I can practice my lost skills in cuss words in Tamil - in which I was the king of my class/school, or I can simply say 'Habla no inglees"

right now, it is the number of junk email scams that I get every morning that is a real pain.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:59 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i've been at the receiving end of two telephone scams currently running in the US by indians (not sure whether they are from  india or located right here).

1) person calls you at home and in a very stern voice tell you they are from the local county police department or federal bureau (notice the absence of the word investigation at the end) and say there is an arrest warrant in your name and that you should turn yourself in or that you'll be arrested at home within 45 mins (so nice of them to give me a warning ahead of time).  i first asked them what i was being arrested for and the guy got very angry.   i told them to come home to get me and i'll make sure i have hot chai ready for them when they arrive.  later upon googling i found that this is some indian outfit trying to pull a scam.  apparently they'll threaten you and when they soften you up ask for some reasonable sounding amount as a fine to make the warrant go away.  we didn't get to that step.

I got called from #1 a few times over this year. They start off that I have an arrest warrant on 3 or 5 counts of some crime/violations and they are calling to inform me a day ahead so that I can pay a penalty and get out of those. I treated them like marketing calls from get go and kept insisting that they should unsubscribe me from their program. The caller on the other side kept getting charged up and repeated the threat but I kept to the same tone and content to unsubscribe me from their sales calls and then after a few unsuccessful attempts he hung up. The last couple of times I even tried the technique of mocking their fake accent and claimed that I cannot comprehend what he is talking because it has a strong made up accent. It was so much fun - their unsuccessful attempts to get their threat across while I'm responding only their accent or do-not-call ethics.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:40 pm

I never pick up phone if the no is not known to me. Always google the telephone nos. Google is your modern guru/help. IF it is a scam it will be in google. If it is not in google, try yahoo/bing other search engines and phone no search sites. If they repeated call, you can block those nos.

IF it is NOT, you would get official letters. (no phone calls). 

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:43 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I never pick up phone if the no is not known to me. Always google the telephone nos. Google is your modern guru/help. IF it is a scam it will be in google. If it is not in google, try yahoo/bing other search engines and phone no search sites. If they repeated call, you can block those nos.

IF it is NOT, you would get official letters. (no phone calls). 
What about Sadguru?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:48 pm

You approach only if you cannot find an answer by yourself. You donot use chainsaw to cut an apple.

I have to put a video for this.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:01 pm

FluteHolder wrote:You approach only if you cannot find an answer by yourself. You donot use chainsaw to cut an apple.

I have to put a video for this.

but sometimes it's fun. on another occasion when it was some standard marketing call selling me some indian channel package, i told them i don't want it. then they continued calling multiple times. i got vexed and then hit upon this scheme -- i'd pick up the phone and asked them who they wanted to speak to. when they said my name, i'd say, 'hold on, that's my brother you want to speak to'. after a ten second gap, i'd again ask them who they want to speak to.. rinse and repeat six times or until they hang up. they stopped calling.

the next time, i'm going to open with asking them what they're wearing in a deep husky voice.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:03 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i've been at the receiving end of two telephone scams currently running in the US by indians (not sure whether they are from  india or located right here).

2) person calls you from a 0-00-000-000 number (that's how it showed up on my phone) and tell you that they are from the "computer department" (haha!) and that your computer has been sending viruses to their engineering department. the first time this happened, i asked the caller which company he was with and he let loose a barrage of swear words -- the whole enchilada - f, mf, sf in hindi.  i politely asked him if he was from haryana, delhi, or punjab.  the second time it was a woman with a strong bengali accent. same conversation, and then when we got to the point where i asked her which company she was employed with, she abruptly disconnected on me.
Max, these Hindians are really after you. Looks like some Hindian is upset with you. How can a Hindian call you and speak to you in Hindi? How can they even assume you know Hindi? That's blasphemy.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:04 pm

did the caller say anything about penii, fleshlights, or cleveland steamers?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
the next time, i'm going to open with asking them what they're wearing in a deep husky voice.

Reminds me. Where's Mo these days?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down