Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An amazing story of H-M synthesis: My name is Khan and I am a Hindu

4 posters

Go down

An amazing story of H-M synthesis: My name is Khan and I am a Hindu Empty An amazing story of H-M synthesis: My name is Khan and I am a Hindu

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:02 am

AGRA: If there is one place in India that just doesn't get the idea of 'Love jihad', it is Khera Sadhan in Agra. And that's because of its peculiar history. During the rule of Aurangzeb (1658-1707), villagers there were asked to either convert to Islam or leave their homes. Faced with such a threat, almost all of them had changed their religion at that time. After Independence, a group of local leaders exhorted the townsfolk to go back to Hinduism. Some did, others didn't. But religion since then hasn't mattered to the people here.

"Why should it?" asks Vikram Singh, a Thakur in the village of about 10,000 roughly 50 km away from Agra. "That's why I don't understand this 'love-jihad' nonsense. My mother Khushnuma is a Muslim, my father Kamlesh Singh a Thakur. My sister Sita is married to Inzamam and my wife Shabana is thinking of naming my newborn Santosh."

The tolerance of each other's faith and an inherent secularism that has to be seen to be believed has endured. Today in Khera Sadhan, it is common to have a family of four brothers with two of them Hindu, two Muslim. Or have a husband who doesn't care about the religion of his wife, or her children for that matter. Here, Muslims worship in temples and Hindus go to the dargah. Eid and Diwali are both sacrosanct.
Ask 55-year-old Shaukat Ali and he will tell you that he recently arranged for his youngest brother Raju Singh to marry Lajo, daughter of Sunil Thakur and Reshma. The wedding ceremony will be attended by Shaukat's brothers Rizwan Ali and Kishan Singh. The nikah will be held at a temple.

"We are amazed when we hear stories of people fighting about inter-faith unions," says Salim Thakur, a Geeta and Quran by his bedside. "My neighbour and first cousin Love Kush Singh has been offering Eid prayers in the village mosque for as long as I can remember. Yet, like everyone else in this village, he also celebrates Holi and Diwali."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/My-name-is-Khan-and-I-am-a-Hindu/articleshow/42323558.cms

Back to top Go down

An amazing story of H-M synthesis: My name is Khan and I am a Hindu Empty Re: An amazing story of H-M synthesis: My name is Khan and I am a Hindu

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:09 am

This great story of H-M synthesis has been unfortunately given a communal color by the writer's claim, based simply on hearsay ( as she confirms later in the article), that the villagers converted to Islam on the orders of Aurangzeb. Too many holes in this theory. First, why did Aurangzeb order only people in this village to convey en masse to Islam, and not everyone in his empire ( not even the neighboring villages); and secondly why was Aurangzeb content with the villagers only accepting some Muslim customs but holding on to many Hindu customs?

Back to top Go down

An amazing story of H-M synthesis: My name is Khan and I am a Hindu Empty Re: An amazing story of H-M synthesis: My name is Khan and I am a Hindu

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:24 am

What will be more amazing are Shiia-Sunni, Shingalese-LTTE, Wahabi-Ishmaili synthesis so that the rest of the world can live in peace.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:57 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:What will be more amazing are Shiia-Sunni, Shingalese-LTTE, Wahabi-Ishmaili synthesis so that the rest of the world can live in peace.

Do you want me to start giving links to articles depicting atrocities on Dalits in India by OBC hindus and upper caste hindus? Also, why is it that upper caste hindus and OBC hindus by and large do not want to marry Dalits? They should do so in the interest of the country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:55 am

The origin of the surname "khan" was tribal in the Afghanistan region long ago and not religious (especially Islamic). Even though many people in that area (Afghanistan) became Muslims in the past 1000 yrs. or so and the surname Khan came to be identified with Muslims (Islam), Hindus etc. there were also continuing to use the surname khan for themselves.   

Thus there is hardly any Hindu-Muslim synthesis based on the use of surname khan.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:48 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:The origin of the surname "khan" was tribal in the Afghanistan region long ago and not religious (especially Islamic). Even though many people in that area (Afghanistan) became Muslims in the past 1000 yrs. or so and the surname Khan came to be identified with Muslims (Islam), Hindus etc. there were also continuing to use the surname khan for themselves.   

Thus there is hardly any Hindu-Muslim synthesis based on the use of surname khan.

Read the article given in the original post in this thread before commenting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:21 am

Rashmun wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:What will be more amazing are Shiia-Sunni, Shingalese-LTTE, Wahabi-Ishmaili synthesis so that the rest of the world can live in peace.

Do you want me to start giving links to articles depicting atrocities on Dalits in India by OBC hindus and upper caste hindus? Also, why is it that upper caste hindus and OBC hindus by and large do not want to marry Dalits? They should do so in the interest of the country.
Ok, add dalit-OBC, dalit-UC, Ahmadiya-Sunni synthesis to the list.

You might as well add PolPot-Wahabi, Commie-fundamentalist Christian, Amazon Adivasi-European Urbanite, Racist German-entrapreneurial Jew, Shiv Sena-Bihari coolie and capitalist-Naxalite synthesis.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:23 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Ok, add dalit-OBC, dalit-UC, Ahmadiya-Sunni synthesis to the list.

You might as well add PolPot-Wahabi, Commie-fundamentalist Christian, Amazon Adivasi-European Urbanite, Racist German-entrapreneurial Jew, Shiv Sena-Bihari coolie and capitalist-Naxalite synthesis.

LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:26 am

Rashmun wrote:

Since you claim to be not married even though you are in your forties why don't you marry a dalit woman in the interest of the country?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:38 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Since you claim to be not married even though you are in your forties why don't you marry a dalit woman in the interest of the country?

I would have surely married a Dalit girl if I would have fallen in love with such a person. My point is that if an OBC or upper caste person falls in love with a Dalit they should try to take it forward towards marriage as if the Dalit is of their own caste and not let the mental block conditioned through thousands of years of treating Dalits as doormats stop them in this endeavor. Also they should not listen to their parents and relatives who try to dissuade them from such a marriage since most people , especially those of the older generation, are casteists.

I have not disclosed my age on this forum so your speculation about my age can only be an instance of a shot in the dark. I urge you to remain within the limits of propriety and stop making guesses about people's age lest you should be considered a rude person who delights in offensive behavior.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I would have surely married a Dalit girl if I would have fallen in love with such a person. My point is that if an OBC or upper caste person falls in love with a Dalit they should try to take it forward towards marriage as if the Dalit is of their own caste and not let the mental block conditioned through thousands of years of treating Dalits as doormats stop them in this endeavor. Also they should not listen to their parents and relatives who try to dissuade them from such a marriage since most people , especially those of the older generation, are casteists.

I have not disclosed my age on this forum so your speculation about my age can only be an instance of a shot in the dark. I urge you to remain within the limits of propriety and stop making guesses about people's age lest you should be considered a rude person who delights in offensive behavior.
If they are in love, nothing stops them. They'd do all that you wrote above. What you said previously is that ppl shld marry for the sake of 'synthesis' and when you were asked to do the same, you are backing out.

PS: weren't you on Sulekha since 1998, more than 15 yrs? It's easy to guess how old one is.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The prevailing condition in India is how the local communities respond to an OBC or Brahmin marrying a dalit. Unless the couple moves far away from their respective families or communities, both the husband and wife get treated badly. This is particularly true in rural areas in India, from north to south. Yes, ideally there shouldn't be such prejudice but it will take several generations before such marriages become common.

If I were to point at someone who delights in offensive behavior, it is you. Your continuing posts in Tamil fonts (without your understanding the nuances of our beautiful language) is a classic example of such behavior. Kindly refrain from posting things written in Tamil with your own twist and agenda.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:14 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The prevailing condition in India is how the local communities respond to an OBC or Brahmin marrying a dalit. Unless the couple moves far away from their respective families or communities, both the husband and wife get treated badly. This is particularly true in rural areas in India, from north to south. Yes, ideally there shouldn't be such prejudice but it will take several generations before such marriages become common.

If I were to point at someone who delights in offensive behavior, it is you. Your continuing posts in Tamil fonts (without your understanding the nuances of our beautiful language) is a classic example of such behavior. Kindly refrain from posting things written in Tamil with your own twist and agenda.

With respect to the second para in your post: here I comment on the actual story published in the tamil article demonstrating that I know the content of the article:

https://such.forumotion.com/t26385-3#173292

Here I comment on the aesthetic beauty and complexity of tamil characters:

https://such.forumotion.com/t26417-topic

---
With respect to the first para you are talking of small town India and villages only. What you are saying is not applicable at all if the couple is living in a cosmopolitan city like Bangalore or Bombay or Delhi or Calcutta or Chennai or Hyderabad. What you are saying is perhaps partially applicable--depending on the families--if the couple is from a big city like Lucknow or Cochin or Ahmedabad but the couple would not be killed or tortured; at most the families would break relations with the couple and this period of estrangement would last till they have a child after which there would typically be a reconciliation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:33 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

If they are in love, nothing stops them. They'd do all that you wrote above. What you said previously is that ppl shld marry for the sake of 'synthesis' and when you were asked to do the same, you are backing out.

PS: weren't you on Sulekha since 1998, more than 15 yrs? It's easy to guess how old one is.

It is true that I was on Sulekha since 1998 but I could have been 15 at the time or 80. So, again, stop speculating about my age like an old aunt.
With respect to the first para, the mental block ( developed through conditioning) associated with marrying an 'inferior' person may stop them. The person might think that the Dalit is good enough for sex but not good enough for marriage. What I am saying is applicable to the cosmopolitan cities and big cities in India. I have to let village people and even small town people be as they are because such inter-caste marriages can lead to death of the couple. But in every such death, death penalty or at least life imprisonment ( in prison all your life with no chance of payroll) should be given to the perpetrators of such murders.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:The origin of the surname "khan" was tribal in the Afghanistan region long ago and not religious (especially Islamic). Even though many people in that area (Afghanistan) became Muslims in the past 1000 yrs. or so and the surname Khan came to be identified with Muslims (Islam), Hindus etc. there were also continuing to use the surname khan for themselves.   

It's about the misleading nature of the title, "An amazing story of H-M synthesis: My name is Khan and I am a Hindu"

Btw are you surprised that some Muslims in India now have the surnames Patel and Bhat which originally were used exclusively by the Hindus?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

It is true that I was on Sulekha since 1998 but I could have been 15 at the time or 80. So, again, stop speculating about my age like an old aunt.
With respect to the first para, the mental block ( developed through conditioning) associated with marrying an 'inferior' person may stop them. The person might think that the Dalit is good enough for sex but not good enough for marriage. What I am saying is applicable to the cosmopolitan cities and big cities in India. I have to let village people and even small town people be as they are because such inter-caste marriages can lead to death of the couple. But in every such death, death penalty or at least life imprisonment ( in prison all your life with no chance of payroll) should be given to the perpetrators of such murders.

Don't fret. When it comes to maturity you are still at 15. You get into a tizzy just at the mention of being in the forties as though it is offensive, yet you have no trouble calling someone an old aunty.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

It's about the misleading nature of the title, "An amazing story of H-M synthesis: My name is Khan and I am a Hindu"

Btw are you surprised that some Muslims in India now have the surnames Patel and Bhat which originally were used exclusively by the Hindus?

The title of this thread is directly taken from the TOI article. And no I am not surprised by Muslims having a Hindu surname like Bhatta. I am surprised, however, by the existence of this village in UP which the article describes where mixed Hindu Muslim marriages are the norm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:01 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Don't fret. When it comes to maturity you are still at 15. You get into a tizzy just at the mention of being in the forties as though it is offensive, yet you have no trouble calling someone an old aunty.

As the old saying goes "Physician heal thyself". You displayed that your own maturity is that of a three year old when you claimed to have attended St. Stephens College, New Delhi, on an exchange program and yet you misspelled St. Stephens as St. Stevens. Do you expect anyone to believe that you really went to St. Stephens when you can't even spell the name of the college correctly?

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Rashmun wrote:

They run a payroll in prison too?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:03 pm

smArtha wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

That should have been parole.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

As the old saying goes "Physician heal thyself". You displayed that your own maturity is that of a three year old when you claimed to have attended St. Stephens College, New Delhi, on an exchange program and yet you misspelled St. Stephens as St. Stevens. Do you expect anyone to believe that you really went to St. Stephens when you can't even spell the name of the college correctly?

Hahaha, what a lame attempt! If misspelling the college means I didn't attend it, so be it, based on your indisputable logic. Very mature of you indeed. Very Happy

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:18 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Hahaha, what a lame attempt! If misspelling the college means I didn't attend it, so be it, based on your indisputable logic. Very mature of you indeed. Very Happy

You are the first person I have come across who does not know the spelling of a college he claims to have attended.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:20 pm

Rashmun wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Gosh, just when I thought you were above making spelling mistakes! Really disappointed.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:24 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Gosh, just when I thought you were above making spelling mistakes! Really disappointed.

I make spelling mistakes all the time. Moreover I always say thanks to anybody who corrects my mistake and gives the correct spelling of the word.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:27 pm

GC if you would like me to develop more respect for you, you should consider correcting the spelling and grammar of my posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

You are the first person I have come across who does not know the spelling of a college he claims to have attended.
If one's credibility hangs on your approval this would be a very sad world indeed.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Rashmun wrote:GC if you would like me to develop more respect for you, you should consider correcting the spelling and grammar of my posts.

That job must never be outsourced from your guru.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:32 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

If one's credibility hangs on your approval this would be a very sad world indeed.

Very true. I think we should adopt the philosophy of live and let live to everyone including those who suffer from inferiority complexes and superiority complexes.Would you agree?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:33 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:GC if you would like me to develop more respect for you, you should consider correcting the spelling and grammar of my posts.

I don't have any guru here. Would you like being my guru?

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:35 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

I don't have any guru here. Would you like being my guru?

I applaud your sense of humor! clap

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down