Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sri Lanka: A passion for Hindi

Go down

Sri Lanka: A passion for Hindi Empty Sri Lanka: A passion for Hindi

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:42 pm

COLOMBO: A passion for Hindi film music and the Hindi language is commonplace in Sri Lanka. But Jaffna, the stronghold of Tamil nationalism, has been an exception to this rule. The Tamil-speaking North is one place in the island nation, where Hindi films are not shown, Hindi soaps are not watched, and Hindi songs are not aired.

But these may well be things of the past, soon. Thanks to the sustained efforts of the Indian Consulate, interest in Hindi is sprouting among Jaffna Tamils.

Over 20 Tamils have so far completed the beginners’ course conducted by the Consulate with a spouse of a staffer functioning as a teacher. On September 14, the Consulate celebrated “Hindi Diwas” with students reciting Hindi poems and singing Hindi songs before an appreciative audience of 80 people.

“It is my love for Hindi songs which drew me to this class. If I know the meaning of the lyrics, I can enjoy the songs even more,” student T Srikanthan told Express.

“There are now people who think it will be useful to know Hindi if they go to north India for studies or pilgrimage,” said Acting Consul General S D Moorthy, who hails from Manaparai. The Hindi Diwas has evoked curiosity among the public and more may join the course, Moorthy said.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/world/Patronage-for-Hindi-Growing-in-Jaffna/2014/09/16/article2433700.ece

Back to top Go down

Sri Lanka: A passion for Hindi Empty Re: Sri Lanka: A passion for Hindi

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:52 pm

>> Over 20 Tamils have so far completed the beginners’ course

Wow, 20 people!

In contrast obver 2 million Eelam Tamils want Indian army decimated.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down