Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

America criticized Sri Lanka. India silent. Lanka raises tax on Indian product to 73%

Go down

America criticized Sri Lanka. India silent. Lanka raises tax on Indian product to 73% Empty America criticized Sri Lanka. India silent. Lanka raises tax on Indian product to 73%

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:29 pm

http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2012/12/09/jaffna-university-simmering/

Amnesty International (AI) has appealed to the government of Sri Lanka to make an early decision on the three students of the University of Jaffna

“Let us think. Let me say for the sake of argument, I do not accept their political motives? But if the person killed is my father, mother, brother or sister? Can I not remember them by lighting a lamp? That is a right we have as human beings to remember our loved ones. If we cannot do that what basic human rights do we enjoy?”

Whilst this incident was taking place the Editor of the Uthayan newspaper was taking photographs. He was assaulted by a senior police officer

The university students decided to hold a peaceful protest march against this action on the 28th. The intention was to march through the front gate of the university and to re-enter the university premises through the science faculty. This peaceful protest was also set upon by the Police. At least 20 students had to seek treatment at the Jaffna Hospital. Thereafter the TID on the 1st of December arrested four students. One student from the science faculty was released. The other three are being held by the TID at Vavuniya.

America showed concern for the students and asked the government to show restraint.

India is silent over it.

On an unrelate news, sri Lanka raised excise tax on Indian vehicles to 73%.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down