Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chattisgarh sterilizations

+2
Seva Lamberdar
indophile
6 posters

Go down

Chattisgarh sterilizations Empty Chattisgarh sterilizations

Post by indophile Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:47 pm

12 women died on hospital beds because of botched sterilization surgeries. Why women? Why don't they do vasectomies on men? The operations are much simpler, and they can be reversed (if needed) in the future. Is it some macho thing or what?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Chattisgarh sterilizations Empty Re: Chattisgarh sterilizations

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:13 am

indophile wrote:12 women died on hospital beds because of botched sterilization surgeries. Why women? Why don't they do vasectomies on men? The operations are much simpler, and they can be reversed (if needed) in the future. Is it some macho thing or what?

Worse than the macho thing (on the part of husbands, not going for the sterilization themselves) is that this type of life-threatening (even killing) situation for women has arisen due to their surgery / treatment in the "21st" century hospital.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:16 am

The picture is not complete. Something is wrong with the sterilization process or someone was negligent with the equipment used. So, other staff involved in the surgery should also be investigated, not just the surgeon. It was a team work.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:20 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:The picture is not complete. Something is wrong with the sterilization process or someone was negligent with the equipment used. So, other staff involved in the surgery should also be investigated, not just the surgeon. It was a team work.

Good point. There needs to be a thorough investigation.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:34 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:The picture is not complete. Something is wrong with the sterilization process or someone was negligent with the equipment used. So, other staff involved in the surgery should also be investigated, not just the surgeon. It was a team work.

Good point. There needs to be a thorough investigation.
*ahem* https://such.forumotion.com/t28237-reformer-or-typical-politician

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:42 am

if my childhood memories are not that blurred, I remember seeing a lot of chattisgarhi people in my childhood, as labors. Their women are totally bindaas, and perhaps the only tribe in India where a woman would marry one guy after another, live with only the latest one at a time though (I think). I am pretty sure they were chattisgarhi. Excuse my ignorance if I am wrong.

I remember watching/interacting with one group closely when they worked in our house. The leader women openly introduced her kids as - 'this is from my first aadmi (man/husband), these are from the second, and this one from my third one'. She was so pretty, maybe in her early thirties, sitting like she has no care in the world, while smoking a beedi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:48 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:if my childhood memories are not that blurred, I remember seeing a lot of chattisgarhi people in my childhood, as labors. Their women are totally bindaas, and perhaps the only tribe in India where a woman would marry one guy after another, live with only the latest one at a time though (I think). I am pretty sure they were chattisgarhi. Excuse my ignorance if I am wrong.

I remember watching/interacting with one group closely when they worked in our house. The leader women openly introduced her kids as - 'this is from my first aadmi (man/husband), these are from the second, and this one from my third one'. She was so pretty, maybe in her early thirties, sitting like she has no care in the world, while smoking a beedi.

Did the bindaas behavior of the tribal women of Chattisgarh rub off on you? Incidentally they were not marrying one man after another. They were only having multiple male partners--one after another.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:16 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:if my childhood memories are not that blurred, I remember seeing a lot of chattisgarhi people in my childhood, as labors. Their women are totally bindaas, and perhaps the only tribe in India where a woman would marry one guy after another, live with only the latest one at a time though (I think). I am pretty sure they were chattisgarhi. Excuse my ignorance if I am wrong.

I understand what you said. My hometown is barely 20 miles from the Chattisgarh-Orissa border (Jagdalpur (aka Bastar) is the closest Chattisgarh city, about 40 miles). Some adibasi tribes on our side of the border follow the same traditions. I wonder if Chattisgarh still has 36 royal houses.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:38 am

turns out it is due to contaminated or ineffective medications post surgery, not a doctor's error.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:turns out it is due to contaminated or ineffective medications post surgery, not a doctor's error.

Don't the hospitals in India have administrators whose job is to look after everything and make sure that the patients are spared from not just the doctors' oversights and errors, but also from any contaminated and ineffective medicine in / from the hospital and low quality food and cots etc.  for patients in the hospital?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:58 pm

The poor has no other way. They have to rely on govt hospitals.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:23 pm

Tablets linked to the deaths of more than a dozen women who visited a sterilisation camp in eastern India are likely to have contained a chemical compound commonly used in rat poison, a senior official in Chhattisgarh state said on Saturday. Preliminary tests of the antibiotic ciprocin tablets were found to contain zinc phosphide, Siddhartha Pardeshi, the chief administrator for the Bilaspur district told Reuters.
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/chhattisgarh-sterilisation-tragedy-rat-poison-chemical-found-in-pills-given-to-patients/

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down