Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wikipedia - Annual Fundraising - Do or Don't?

+4
swapna
bw
MaxEntropy_Man
smArtha
8 posters

Go down

Wikipedia - Annual Fundraising - Do or Don't? Empty Wikipedia - Annual Fundraising - Do or Don't?

Post by smArtha Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:01 pm

For a few years now, I had made it a habit to click on the 'Donate Now' link sent by Jimmy Wales of Wikipedia and send across my 'dutiful' contributions that had never exceeded $10/month. I got the annual request email this afternoon and was about to carry on my solemn obligations but was drawn to the Top 10 Reasons Not to Donate to Wikipedia page on the Google search results. Starting there I had navigated to a few others viz. Six Rotten Pillars of Wikipedia, Wikipedia Point of View and Criticism of Jimmy Wales etc. 

For the first time now I'm hesitant. It is true that I had encountered sub standard, biased as well as at times even uninformed or mis-represented content on Wikipedia. At the same time often Wikipedia did serve my needs being the entry point of information for many things from where I could start my content search/research. What are your views on it? Especially those of you who had consciously chosen to contribute or not.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Wikipedia - Annual Fundraising - Do or Don't? Empty Re: Wikipedia - Annual Fundraising - Do or Don't?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:00 pm

a worthy cause but my year end donation this year is going to sal khan of khanacademy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Wikipedia - Annual Fundraising - Do or Don't? Empty Re: Wikipedia - Annual Fundraising - Do or Don't?

Post by bw Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a worthy cause but my year end donation this year is going to sal khan of khanacademy.

he gets enough and more from bill gates. i deleted that email promptly.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:56 pm

I've been donating to wikipedia and m.s.f.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:59 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a worthy cause but my year end donation this year is going to sal khan of khanacademy.

he gets enough and more from bill gates. i deleted that email promptly.

i thought that was a startup deal. gates is still funding khan? if that is the case, i will make a change to my plans. swapna, i agree - MSF is a very worthy place to give.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:35 pm

I have been donating for the past 4 years. Donate generously. Though most information cannot be trusted without independent verification, it serves as a starting point.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:33 am

smArtha wrote:For a few years now, I had made it a habit to click on the 'Donate Now' link sent by Jimmy Wales of Wikipedia and send across my 'dutiful' contributions that had never exceeded $10/month. I got the annual request email this afternoon and was about to carry on my solemn obligations but was drawn to the Top 10 Reasons Not to Donate to Wikipedia page on the Google search results. Starting there I had navigated to a few others viz. Six Rotten Pillars of Wikipedia, Wikipedia Point of View and Criticism of Jimmy Wales etc. 

For the first time now I'm hesitant. It is true that I had encountered sub standard, biased as well as at times even uninformed or mis-represented content on Wikipedia. At the same time often Wikipedia did serve my needs being the entry point of information for many things from where I could start my content search/research. What are your views on it? Especially those of you who had consciously chosen to contribute or not.
>>I think it is a worthy cause. It does serve as a good starting point.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:14 am

Kris wrote:
smArtha wrote:For a few years now, I had made it a habit to click on the 'Donate Now' link sent by Jimmy Wales of Wikipedia and send across my 'dutiful' contributions that had never exceeded $10/month. I got the annual request email this afternoon and was about to carry on my solemn obligations but was drawn to the Top 10 Reasons Not to Donate to Wikipedia page on the Google search results. Starting there I had navigated to a few others viz. Six Rotten Pillars of Wikipedia, Wikipedia Point of View and Criticism of Jimmy Wales etc. 

yes, it's a worthy cause. i donate every year and get that "you are something!" email from them that tickles me to no end. the science articles in wikipedia are unparalleled in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:29 am

"What are your views on it?" Smartha

>>> it's a worthy cause -- better than contributing to some other well-hyped charities where most of the funds are lost in administrating etc. the charity.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:40 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:"What are your views on it?" Smartha

>>> it's a worthy cause -- better than contributing to some other well-hyped charities where most of the funds are lost in administrating etc. the charity.
i thought your opinion was that wikipedia is all rubbish whereas https:/geocities/seva-lamberdar was the best e-encyclopedia ever?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:47 am

tingu wrote:
Kris wrote:

yes, it's a worthy cause. i donate every year and get that "you are something!" email from them that tickles me to no end. the science articles in wikipedia are unparalleled in my opinion.

ditto for medical related information. they collate stuff very well and the checks and balances that shape an entry are robust (egos and wiki-wars apart). oh i could go on and on for i was once an active contributor in uncyclopedia and wikipedia (both owned by wikimedia). 

if you are searching for obscure stuff or bullshit, be ready to learn more bullshit in wikipedia. example:

we adore our admin in our school's whatsapp group. one day we were bantering about how we should have an admin day for chhabria (our admin). so i stepped up and created an admin day for him in wikipedia. this was 6 months ago and my edit remains: (look under "india") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_Professionals%27_Day#Observation_by_region

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:02 pm

tingu wrote:

if you are searching for obscure stuff or bullshit, be ready to learn more bullshit in wikipedia. example:

we adore our admin in our school's whatsapp group. one day we were bantering about how we should have an admin day for chhabria (our admin). so i stepped up and created an admin day for him in wikipedia. this was 6 months ago and my edit remains: (look under "india") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_Professionals%27_Day#Observation_by_region

Very Happy

• In India it is celebrated on the fourth of August every year to honour the work of Don Bosco School, Park Circus, group's Administrator. The tradition, initiated 6 years ago, is followed all over India now.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks everyone who shared your opinion. I think I'll go ahead with my usual contribution for this year too. khanacademy and msf seem good causes too that I can consider for the future. For this year, I had already maxed out on my contributions.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Wikipedia rocks.
Some one said "good starting point". 
That is an apt description.
I benefit from it and I support it.
Two other charities I support are 'doctors without borders' and npr.
Khan academy is another worthy site.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:38 am

tingu wrote:

i thought your opinion was that wikipedia is all rubbish whereas https:/geocities/seva-lamberdar was the best e-encyclopedia ever?
LOL. Anyway, since I am not seeking contributions to my site, for the time being at least, you can lend the support to wiki.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:26 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
tingu wrote:

LOL. Anyway, since I am not seeking contributions to my site, for the time being at least, you can lend the support to wiki.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down