Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cry my beloved science, cry my beloved country

+5
pravalika nanda
MaxEntropy_Man
Merlot Daruwala
bw
confuzzled dude
9 posters

Go down

Cry my beloved science, cry my beloved country Empty Cry my beloved science, cry my beloved country

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:03 am

I have been a research scientist for the past 35 years and seen the movement of the country from secular, forward looking nationalist with a slight inferior complex to a disproportionately aggressive country demanding attention out of tune with its demonstrated capabilities in science.

Today, as never before, science in India has reasons to cry. Why this sense of gloom? Under the Nehruvian era that is being systematically removed in today’s India, one of the axioms was that technology and forward outlook to its utilisation was the way to the future.
The ranting of the ultra-nationalists who seem to think that a lie repeated a thousand times becomes truth – does no good to their professed desire to have Indian scientific achievements appropriately recognised. It also does not help the conventional scientists who feel hounded by these fringe elements. Even on forums for rational evaluation of past sciences, they feel squeezed out by some shrill voices.
It is not that Indian achievements were not significant for their own period. Even the most casual visitor to Indian science will feel impressed by the works of Aryabhata and his collaborators or of the zinc smelters of the past, or of the work of Kerala School of mathematics or of the secular approach of a large fraction of literature in Sanskrit with its intricate arguments on the working of the world. But the fringe elements would want everyone to believe that Indians knew of quantum mechanics, genetics, plastic surgery, interplanetary travel and much more without even the scantest of evidence that Indians had climbed even a fraction of all the necessary steps to reach there.

For example, it is known in learned circles that the Pythagorean triplets were also discovered by Indian mathematician and the earliest reference goes back to Sulba Sutra possibly pre dating Pythagoras. But when such an assertion is also mixed with claims of invention of vimanas that could undertake interplanetary journey, the earlier claims and the claimant both get discredited. No one wins. Those who set out to restore the glory of India’s past do more damage to it.
http://www.dnaindia.com/analysis/standpoint-cry-my-beloved-science-cry-my-beloved-country-2049781

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Cry my beloved science, cry my beloved country Empty Re: Cry my beloved science, cry my beloved country

Post by bw Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:13 am

this guy needs a healthy dose of sadhguruism. doesn't he know that one shouldn't question things that you don't know much about? how does he know that they didn't do all that?  

water has memory and the west simply harvested(stole!) all this knowledge out of the water streaming from india to other places. duh!

bw

Back to top Go down

Cry my beloved science, cry my beloved country Empty Re: Cry my beloved science, cry my beloved country

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:17 am

Haha. But try explaining this to sickular fukular Macaulay-putras. They just keep finding fault with ancient Hindu greatness.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:26 am

nice article. points out the dangers of exaggerated and ridiculous claims and how they diminish real achievements of ancient indian mathematicians and scientists.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:53 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:nice article. points out the dangers of exaggerated and ridiculous claims and how they diminish real achievements of ancient  indian mathematicians and scientists.
He also highlighted the immediate threat to the nation from these Sanskrit Scientists
Those who think this is an exaggeration should look at the number of senior scientists who have been forced to vacate their places in recent times which will now be filled by committed scientists or the terms like Sanskrit Science being tossed around. Let it not be said that we were not warned

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:54 am

there are all kinds of nuts in the world and one puts them on ignore and moves on. the only reason secular elites are giving this a mike and playing it up in the media is they delight in this chaddi buffoonery. as if it's actually possible for indian R&D to sink further because of chaddi idiocy.

when given the opportunity all these years how often did secular elite phoneys talk about the true accomplishments of past indina physicians/mathematicians/astronomers? rarely.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:01 am

Self-deprecation is as detrimental to the health of a society as exaggerated and ridiculous clams. 

The claims of DKheads - like Ravan being a Tamil - are as ridiculous as pigs flying. And, they think they are rationalists! 

In any case, looks like Max and Merlot have recovered from their depression from Modi's win in the election. However, the state elections in UP and Bihar are around the corner.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:01 am

pravalika nanda wrote:there are all kinds of nuts in the world and one puts them on ignore and moves on. the only reason secular elites are giving this a mike and playing it up in the media is they delight in this chaddi buffoonery. as if it's actually possible for indian R&D to sink further because of chaddi idiocy.

when given the opportunity all these years how often did secular elite phoneys talk about the true accomplishments of past indina physicians/mathematicians/astronomers? rarely.

you mean other than offering courses and writing books about it? not sure if prof rajeev sarada (thanks carvaka!) is a secular elite phoney, but i like his material on the subject. in case you are interested:

http://www.canisius.edu/mathematics/related-links/new-mathematical-topographies/spring05/rajeev.dot
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:03 am

pravalika nanda wrote:there are all kinds of nuts in the world and one puts them on ignore and moves on. the only reason secular elites are giving this a mike and playing it up in the media is they delight in this chaddi buffoonery. as if it's actually possible for indian R&D to sink further because of chaddi idiocy.

Do you know the names given to the first four satellites launched by India?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:10 am

Indeed!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:21 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Self-deprecation is as detrimental to the health of a society as exaggerated and ridiculous clams. 

The claims of DKheads - like Ravan being a Tamil - are as ridiculous as pigs flying. And, they think they are rationalists! 

In any case, looks like Max and Merlot have recovered from their depression from Modi's win in the election. However, the state elections in UP and Bihar are around the corner.
Self-deprecation? You mean ancient Sanskrit Scientists did fly all over the galaxy on the vimanas built using instruction manuals written in Sanskrit? limp wristed breast-beating induced self-aggrandizement with no proof to show for our [past] accomplishments is the best and fastest way to become a laughing stock in front of the whole world.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:23 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

you mean other than offering courses and writing books about it? not sure if prof rajeev sarada (thanks carvaka!) is a secular elite phoney, but i like his material on the subject. in case you are interested:

http://www.canisius.edu/mathematics/related-links/new-mathematical-topographies/spring05/rajeev.dot

I'm talking about the people on this forum. I'm hearing more about chaddi airplanes in the last 72 hrs  than I have about past or current indian scientists in the last several years from these very same people.

You've provided me with a link to something I do not have the basics to understand and surely you know that. Obviously there are people who have taken the time to study indian advancements in math/science/medicine/art/architecture. I know a little bit of what is related to my field.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:25 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

no. and knowing these random facts will not assist me in any way.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:26 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I'm talking about the people on this forum. I'm hearing more about chaddi airplanes in the last 72 hrs  than I have about past or current indian scientists in the last several years from these very same people.

You've provided me with a link to something I do not have the basics to understand and surely you know that. Obviously there are people who have taken the time to study indian advancements in math/science/medicine/art/architecture. I know a little bit of what is related to my field.
This topic (School of Kerala mathematics) has been beaten to death on this/old forum.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:29 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

no. and knowing these random facts will not assist me in any way.
Then you should watch what you say and those are not random facts; most Indians know the significance of those names.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:31 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

Do you know the names of nuclear capable Indian missiles?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:35 am

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I do. What's your point?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:40 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I do. What's your point?

Can you tell me what they are and what they mean?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:44 am

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I do. What's your point?

You can check for yourself, there is tons information available on the net. If you think I object the use of Sanskrit(religious) names then you got it wrong.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:46 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I do. What's your point?

You can check for yourself, there is tons information available on the net. If you think I object the use of Sanskrit(religious) names then you got it wrong.

No. That was not the point.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:49 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

This topic (School of Kerala mathematics) has been beaten to death on this/old forum.

I heard about it first from max and there really have been no other topics. It's not possible to discuss such a topic to death.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Self-deprecation is as detrimental to the health of a society as exaggerated and ridiculous clams. 

Self-deprecation? You mean ancient Sanskrit Scientists did fly all over the galaxy on the vimanas built using instruction manuals written in Sanskrit? limp wristed breast-beating induced self-aggrandizement with no proof to show for our [past] accomplishments is the best and fastest way to become a laughing stock in front of the whole world.
I didn't say that. Self-deprecation and ridiculous claims - both are bad. I don't take the side of DKheads or fanatics. Science works in spite of both.

However, SuCh scholars (everyone knows who they are) are agenda driven. Anti-Modi, anti-Chaddi, Pro-something, etc. They remind me of Laloo, DK-heads, CONartists, etc.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:20 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Indeed!

when you look at half these people it's obvious that half these guys have had zero math and science education, add to that the heady mix of poverty, religiosity, superstition and mental illness and you get this total rubbish. and these are the guys the indian media wants the world to see. anyone with some sense will take the mike away from them. in a large country like india you're not going to get away from these kind of people. there's no humane way to curb such astounding stupidity.

but the media defines the narrative of a nation and because they are mostly secular elites and it serves a political purpose this is what they are hell-bent on showing to the world and to young Indians. they don't cover the important topics of the day and they don't give balanced reporting, this is the indian media for you. this media that never talks about indian or even other  science, math, or medicine in any meaningful or didactic way and is filled with people who themselves have very minimal knowledge of those subjects is now carrying on a jerry springer show for the world.

the us has so many nuts but the us media definitely does not allow its nuts to define who they are as a nation. the indian media is hugely irresponsible to give these guys this much coverage. a nation of a billion and more cannot be defined by this for any period of time.  it is unfair to those people who need to be educated on what is sensible and it takes away from those who are actually working hard to learn.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:48 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Indeed!

when you look at half these people it's obvious that half these guys have had zero math and science education, add to that the heady mix of poverty, religiosity, superstition and mental illness and you get this total rubbish. and these are the guys the indian media wants the world to see. anyone with some sense will take the mike away from them. in a large country like india you're not going to get away from these kind of people. there's no humane way to curb such astounding stupidity.

but the media defines the narrative of a nation and because they are mostly secular elites and it serves a political purpose this is what they are hell-bent on showing to the world and to young Indians. they don't cover the important topics of the day and they don't give balanced reporting, this is the indian media for you. this media that never talks about indian or even other  science, math, or medicine in any meaningful or didactic way and is filled with people who themselves have very minimal knowledge of those subjects is now carrying on a jerry springer show for the world.

the us has so many nuts but the us media definitely does not allow its nuts to define who they are as a nation. the indian media is hugely irresponsible to give these guys this much coverage. a nation of a billion and more cannot be defined by this for any period of time.  it is unfair to those people who need to be educated on what is sensible and it takes away from those who are actually working hard to learn.

the issue is that the indian science congress has given a forum for them. this is not about the media. the media is only pointing it out. why beat them up over it? in fact prominent BJP people including the PM no less seem to be buying and into this, and in fact contributing to this conversation.  that's the real issue, not the media.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:13 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:nice article. points out the dangers of exaggerated and ridiculous claims and how they diminish real achievements of ancient  indian mathematicians and scientists.

Have you considered that the exaggerated claims could be the result of few decades or even centuries of not suitably acknowledging the genuine contributions and accomplishments? Because the history of whichever field had not given suitable recognition where and when it is due during the rule and regimes of one kind of ideologies the other side when it comes to power will try to exert force to push the pendulum the other way. We can only hope that this process settles down in the vicinity of a sensible balance in a few decades from now and all genuine discoveries and accomplishments find their rightful place wherever they may have originated from.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:18 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

The fact that you think Newton and Leibnitz need to be remembered and mentioned in every Math course but that of Kerala Mathematics is already beaten to death and hence can be discarded already shows your mindset towards Indian contributions to science.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I didn't say that. Self-deprecation and ridiculous claims - both are bad. I don't take the side of DKheads or fanatics. Science works in spite of both.

However, SuCh scholars (everyone knows who they are) are agenda driven. Anti-Modi, anti-Chaddi, Pro-something, etc. They remind me of Laloo, DK-heads, CONartists, etc.
Dear sir, in case it slipped your mind, genius PM Modiji's speech linking genetic science & plastic surgery to Karna & Lord Ganesha gave these dingbats a new lease on life. Please don't practice maha-patriotism on us in order to sweep this insanity under ant-modi/anti-chaddi rug.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:32 pm

smArtha wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

The fact that you think Newton and Leibnitz need to be remembered and mentioned in every Math course but that of Kerala Mathematics is already beaten to death and hence can be discarded already shows your mindset towards Indian contributions to science.
OK thanks for putting words in my mouth Rolling Eyes

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Dear sir, in case it slipped your mind, genius PM Modiji's speech linking genetic science & plastic surgery to Karna & Lord Ganesha gave these dingbats a new lease on life. Please don't practice maha-patriotism on us in order to sweep this insanity under ant-modi/anti-chaddi rug.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but many anesthesiology professors open their new classes with a reference to Genesis 2:21.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:48 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Sorry that was supposed to be your forte.. to put words, read between lines, infer motivations and project future states with such inferences. I acknowledge it now and hopefully you will accept me borrowing a leaf out of your ways as I feel relevant responding to you. Not that I don't have my own ways but somehow you don't seem to get it any other way than your own.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:56 pm

there have been more recent genuine contributions in biology and medicine. instead of wild plastic surgery claims, modi could have mentioned the narayanan flap for reconstruction of the face after excision of cheek cancer. that was truly innovative in the 70s and introduced by dr.m.narayanan of the the adayar cancer institute, a procedure used to this day i hear.  then there's the ramachandran plot to visualize the structure of proteins.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:53 pm

India, in general, has contributed significantly to knowledge related to the development of many pharmacological and therapeutic agents. Cardiac glycosides, neurotropic agents, anti-epileptics, mood-altering agents, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral agents, sympathomimetic and parasympathomimetic agents, adrenergic and cholinergic drugs, a variety of alkaloids (strychnine, for example), drugs that act on ion channels.......

While Max seems to be stuck with some Tamil names (Ramachandran and Narayanan), the majority of the above agents came into therapeutics following original work done in North India.

Just an observation.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:India, in general, has contributed significantly to knowledge related to the development of many pharmacological and therapeutic agents. Cardiac glycosides, neurotropic agents, anti-epileptics, mood-altering agents, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral agents, sympathomimetic and parasympathomimetic agents, adrenergic and cholinergic drugs, a variety of alkaloids (strychnine, for example), drugs that act on ion channels.......

While Max seems to be stuck with some Tamil names (Ramachandran and Narayanan), the majority of the above agents came into therapeutics following original work done in North India.

Just an observation.

Why did you think it would be any other way?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:32 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:India, in general, has contributed significantly to knowledge related to the development of many pharmacological and therapeutic agents. Cardiac glycosides, neurotropic agents, anti-epileptics, mood-altering agents, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral agents, sympathomimetic and parasympathomimetic agents, adrenergic and cholinergic drugs, a variety of alkaloids (strychnine, for example), drugs that act on ion channels.......

Just an observation.

Why did you think it would be any other way?
Do think these people in India believing in the tales in the ancient Hindu texts is worse than some others supporting or engaging in religious conversions on the basis of their religious texts which say that the converter and the converted find salvation and go to heaven, or that it is religiously okay to punish (even kill) people in the name of blasphemy for showing disrespect or causing damage to a religious book?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:32 pm

i know people who work on proteins. the ramachandran plot is actually a huge deal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramachandran_plot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._N._Ramachandran

i mentioned the narayanan flap since one of the things that modi made some silly comment about was plastic surgery. and i don't think dr.devi shetty about whom i posted yesterday is a tamilian. what's that saying in telugu about jaundiced eyes....
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i know people who work on proteins. the ramachandran plot is actually a huge deal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramachandran_plot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._N._Ramachandran

i mentioned the narayanan flap since one of the things that modi made some silly comment about was plastic surgery. and i don't think dr.devi shetty about whom i posted yesterday is a tamilian. what's that saying in telugu about jaundiced eyes....

Sure, which is why you excerpted this part:

says pulmonary critical care specialist Dr. N. Rajagopalan. After 23 years away, he came home to treat his fellow Indians and said goodbye to a $350,000-a-year practice in Miami.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:02 pm

smArtha wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Sorry that was supposed to be your forte.. to put words, read between lines, infer motivations and project future states with such inferences. I acknowledge it now and hopefully you will accept me borrowing a leaf out of your ways as I feel relevant responding to you. Not that I don't have my own ways but somehow you don't seem to get it any other way than your own.
OK Mr. Brahmin Supremacist Vedic Scholar, if you say so Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:12 pm

Just an observation.
So none of these were acknowledged because of our slave mentality and now we're on a mission to get this corrected with chaddi-ness?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:02 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

OK Mr. Brahmin Supremacist Vedic Scholar, if you say so Razz

I'm not the one saying any of those. It is your posts that are shouting out those attributes. You are either too modest or genuinely confuzzled crediting me for the above.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:45 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I heard about it first from max and there really have been no other topics. It's not possible to discuss such a topic to death.
Pravu, just because you are hearing about it for the first time doesn't mean everyone here is as ignorant.

Ironically, the only people who have been highlighting the genuine scientific achievements of ancient Indians have been the "secular elites" as you call them. On the other hand, what do our proud Hindu NRI Patriots obsess about? Muslims, Pakis, Saudis, jihadis, Islamis, ISIS etc.

https://such.forumotion.com/t25268-yuktibhasa-and-tantrasangraha
https://such.forumotion.com/t18822-science-in-the-upanisads
https://such.forumotion.com/t4129-vedic-mathematics-my-trip-to-india-to-uncover-the-truth-alex-bellos-2011
https://such.forumotion.com/t25233-why-we-oppose-sa-nskrit-week-in-cbse-schools
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:00 am

aside from the kerala school, another ancient great was brahmagupta who among other things derived a more general form of what is today known as heron's formula to calculate the area of a triangle, solutions to linear and quadratic equations, pythogorean triples etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmagupta
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down