Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Beloved World..and Binders full of Women

3 posters

Go down

My Beloved World..and Binders full of Women Empty My Beloved World..and Binders full of Women

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Yes, it's my beloved world (and love the word "beloved") too..but, really was referring to the wise Latina Lady-

Justice. Sonia Sotomayor's new memoir "My Beloved World"- where she so candidly talks about her life..and Yes, being an Affirmative Action baby.

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/14/167699633/a-justice-deliberates-sotomayor-on-love-health-and-family

Excerpts:

"As much as I know Clarence, admire him and have grown to appreciate him," she says, "I have never ever focused on the negative of things. I always look at the positive. And I know one thing: If affirmative action opened the doors for me at Princeton, once I got in, I did the work. I proved myself. Once at Princeton, Sotomayor struggled mightily at first, in part because she didn't know how to write well in her second language, English. She embarked on a crash program in her first summer, eventually became a star student and graduated summa cum laude, winning Princeton's coveted Moses Taylor Pyne Honor Prize.

It was only when she was close to graduating from Yale Law School several years later that she encountered the kind of stereotyping that Justice Thomas has often written about. At a recruiting dinner, a partner in a large Washington, D.C., firm looked at her and asked, "Did you get into Yale only because you are Puerto Rican?"

She was stunned. "It took me aback to think that someone was actually looking at me that way, " she says, noting that the man apparently knew nothing about her academic successes.

"Now that's the price of affirmative action that Clarence Thomas talks about ... and it's one that can lead to the sense that the benefits might be outweighed by the negative impressions it leaves. But that was my first moment experiencing that kind of overt discrimination."She did not take the stereotyping lying down. She confronted the man the next day, amazed when he seemed to think she had not cared since she did not "make a scene." She viewed the emotional reaction he expected as simply another stereotype — the emotional Latina.

As delighted as I am about her Nomination to the US SC by my "potentially" beloved President..am not happy with this..He could have easily asked for that Binder full of Women..so many of us ridiculed Mr. Romney about it..instead of coming up with the same old excuses.."not qualified enough"..blah, blah..

Obama’s Remade Inner Circle Has an All-Male Look, So Far

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/us/politics/under-obama-a-skew-toward-male-appointees.html?_r=0
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

My Beloved World..and Binders full of Women Empty Re: My Beloved World..and Binders full of Women

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm

positive stereotypes of latinas:
a) fine bulbous backside without the blackwomen face/hair/skin drawback,
b) awesome in bed

note others.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

My Beloved World..and Binders full of Women Empty Re: My Beloved World..and Binders full of Women

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:16 pm

I had a latina boss back in early 2000s who was a buxom sexpot. still remember working myself up into a lather during those monday morning meetings, checking out her filled out side-profile (jutting large breasts, pleasingly plump thighs straining against her skirt material, sexy bulge of her lower abdomen signalling her middleaged sexiness etc etc). lordyyyy

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Thank you for sharing your positive views Mr. DUT. I can add to the positive stereotypes..they are quite vibrant and pretty. And basically you are saying women bosses can have good monday morning meetings, and not too many absentees.

Anything else about the Obama Cabinet, Affirmative action etc..I know you can write some poetic prose about that too (can't fool me)- it can be quite thoughtful and quite a balanced analysis..whether it's intentional or not!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Maria S wrote:Thank you for sharing your positive views Mr. DUT. I can add to the positive stereotypes..they are quite vibrant and pretty. And basically you are saying women bosses can have good monday morning meetings, and not too many absentees.

Anything else about the Obama Cabinet, Affirmative action etc..I know you can write some poetic prose about that too (can't fool me)- it can be quite thoughtful and quite a balanced analysis..whether it's intentional or not!

dont know if I can manage the same level of enthusiasms these days for monday morning meetings with tight skirted aunties - that was over 12 yrs ago and these days my meetings are with old & young guys mostly, and ppl I've never met in stockholm, montreal, indonesia etc

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:15 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
dont know if I can manage the same level of enthusiasms these days for monday morning meetings with tight skirted aunties - that was over 12 yrs ago and these days my meetings are with old & young guys mostly, and ppl I've never met in stockholm, montreal, indonesia etc

You are not alone..from the other side, it's not easy to motivate oneself, energize and sustain the same levels of enthusiasm..ennui seems to set it in sooner- becoming jaded/cynical seems so much simpler- have to constantly fight it! Must be interesting to meet new people.

Speaking of interesting women..where is Tracy? Hope she is still around.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:I had a latina boss back in early 2000s who was a buxom sexpot. still remember working myself up into a lather during those monday morning meetings, checking out her filled out side-profile (jutting large breasts, pleasingly plump thighs straining against her skirt material, sexy bulge of her lower abdomen signalling her middleaged sexiness etc etc). lordyyyy

lordyyyy " lardy" - one word sums it up for you ?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down