Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my cooking

4 posters

Go down

my cooking Empty my cooking

Post by Guest Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:19 pm

sucks even more after coming from india. Sad Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

my cooking Empty Re: my cooking

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:27 pm

making baingan bharta. usually it turns out well. let's see how it goes today. will be eating it with TJ's garlic nAn.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:making baingan bharta. usually it turns out well. let's see how it goes today. will be eating it with TJ's garlic nAn.

cool, I like baingan bharta. what recipe do you follow? do you roast it over open flame?

I make decent baingan bharta, when I am in a good mood. Rather, I make it only when I am in mood for cooking. This past week, I have just been throwing stuff together on stove (chhole today), and then make my own face while eating it. Absolutely no taste in anything. Maybe with time will get used to the tastes here, and get more interested in cooking too.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:35 pm

I attempted to make pizza and the result was not good. Only the cheese/spinach/vegetables were good as well as the sauce which I made it from tomatoes/ginger/oregano/basil. May be I didnot give enough time to prepare the dough.

I am looking for options to reduce cooking and eating/including more of raw veggies/fruits/nuts. I was surprised to note that the yoga teachers(Most of them are non-Indians) in Sadhguru's ashram who are there for a 6 month course are having only 2 meal per day (Lunch and early dinner), and yet they are all healthy besides doing rigorous yoga practices.

I tried steaming vegetables instead of boiling. Apart from nutrient retention it does retain the color/texture/taste more. Just few more utensils to clean but the cooking was faster (just 10-12 minutes to steam).

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:49 pm

I totally doubt I will ever attempt pizza. 

I have seen quite a few naturally thin people who eat 3 BIG meals a day and no snacking. have also seen naturally skinny people who take small meals/snacks every two hours, but this kind are fewer (in my data sampling). 

I got two small pressure cookers from desh this time. For 2-3 years we were using amrikan ones that don't do whistles (seetee) like desi ones. Is such a delight to hear those strong whistles on the desi ones. Son had forgotten those, so he screams out loud e'time the whistle goes off.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:01 pm

My wife makes all veggie pizza with cauliflower crust, it tastes alright.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:24 pm

BK -- we moved a few years ago and i lost access to a gas range regrettably. so no open flame. i just roast two big eggplants in the oven until they collapse. i then remove the skin and mash it up. separately sautée lots of garlic and ginger, add one big tomato chopped very fine, finely chopped green chillies, lots of cumin and coriander powder, a bit of turmeric, that dried mango powder (forgot the hindi name for it) and make a base. when it becomes nice and pasty, i add the mashed up baingan and some water and cook in reduced heat for twenty mins with salt added to taste. at the end i squeeze a lemon and add finely chopped cilantro. done.

i miss the smokiness which the open flame imparts so much. our heating is gas heating. I got a quote to change to a gas range after the necessary plumbing changes. it was some $2500 bucks. a bit low on my priority list, but hope to get it done some day.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:31 pm

oh i use extra virgin olive oil for this dish.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:33 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I attempted to make pizza and the result was not good. Only the cheese/spinach/vegetables were good as well as the sauce which I made it from tomatoes/ginger/oregano/basil. May be I didnot give enough time to prepare the dough.

I am looking for options to reduce cooking and eating/including more of raw veggies/fruits/nuts. I was surprised to note that the yoga teachers(Most of them are non-Indians) in Sadhguru's ashram who are there for a 6 month course are having only 2 meal per day (Lunch and early dinner), and yet they are all healthy besides doing rigorous yoga practices.

I tried steaming vegetables instead of boiling. Apart from nutrient retention it does retain the color/texture/taste more. Just few more utensils to clean but the cooking was faster (just 10-12 minutes to steam).

I eat twice a day. Any cooking has to be less than 10 min. And, I am gooood. Sadhguru has to learn from this Saadhaguru.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:BK -- we moved a few years ago and i lost access to a gas range regrettably. so no open flame. i just roast two big eggplants in the oven until they collapse. i then remove the skin and mash it up. separately sautée lots of garlic and ginger, add one big tomato chopped very fine, finely chopped green chillies, lots of cumin and coriander powder, a bit of turmeric, that dried mango powder (forgot the hindi name for it) and make a base. when it becomes nice and pasty, i add the mashed up baingan and some water and cook in reduced heat for twenty mins with salt added to taste. at the end i squeeze a lemon and add finely chopped cilantro. done.

i miss the smokiness which the open flame imparts so much. our heating is gas heating. I got a quote to change to a gas range after the necessary plumbing changes. it was some $2500 bucks. a bit low on my priority list, but hope to get it done some day.

slightly different than mine. i have onions in the base, and i don't think i have put amchur. But will try it this way too. Less work to bhuno onion.

maybe in summer you can make them on grill that have stoves too.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:54 pm

i use finely chopped red onions too and add it right after the ginger and garlic. forgot to mention.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down