Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

workplace behaviors of men and women

Go down

workplace behaviors of men and women Empty workplace behaviors of men and women

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:51 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/opinion/sunday/sheryl-sandberg-and-adam-grant-on-women-doing-office-housework.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

** above from a series in the nyt called "women at work" and the title was absolutely fantastic, otherwise I normally don't read this section.

** thankfully for me, we have two secretaries, both of them take care of organizing lunches, meetings, and ordering in-between snacks. my people sometimes pack lunch for me to take home at night for me if I don't get a chance to eat. there is one woman who works with me who always brings in something to eat (something purchased like madelines or chocolate, not home-cooked). she works part-time.

** I do recall that there was an instance where one guy on my team did suggest that I bring in something home-made cuz I never bring in anything. And I was thinking of doing it but I never did cuz I don't actually cook. After reading this article, I will most certainly not bring anything. He never got anything as far as I can remember but I don't really notice this kind of thing so can't be sure.
**A few times I have gone to inter-departmental meetings, there is one dept headed by an older woman and when I look back on it, she was demonstrating these feminine, maternal behaviors which I think will in the long run be detrimental for her. She probably sees a lot of opposition from junior men who work for her. Yikes, don't want to be like that. glad I read the article.

**how do you behave in the workplace? do you find yourself behaving the way it describes men and women behaving at work?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

workplace behaviors of men and women Empty Re: workplace behaviors of men and women

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:39 pm

i have not volunteered for anything related to any non-technical event at any work place, coz i simply suck at it. people know me as the nerdy techie, so they leave me alone usually, men and women both. i participate, but don't organize. i don't think people have trusted me with even small things like cutting a cake (for serving) or pouring drinks at any event (except for my own self). as luck would have it, have always had excellent people, mostly men, who did all this pretty well. at one of the work places i used to be commended frequently for keeping my desk spotless clean, perhaps that's as womanly as I have gotten. i don't think any of that has affected my promotions or performance.

Back to top Go down