Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

california drought

3 posters

Go down

california drought Empty california drought

Post by Guest Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:11 pm

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/the-california-drought-in-pictures-421332547980

Back to top Go down

california drought Empty Re: california drought

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:41 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/the-california-drought-in-pictures-421332547980

These desis - i tell ya...wherever they go they cause this drought and water shortage.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:50 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/the-california-drought-in-pictures-421332547980
>>It is really bad. LA and the Bay Area suck up a lot of water. The farmers in the central valley need water and the water politics on this has been around for a good eighty years at least. I don't understand why there hasn't a HUGE push on sea water desalination all these years. For all the talk of rains and snowpacks, it is not as though it is difficult to do the math on demand and supply and realize that we can't be that beholden to these forces of nature.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:56 am

Kris wrote:
>>It is really bad. LA and the Bay Area suck up a lot of water. The farmers in the central valley need water and the water politics on this has been around for a good eighty years at least. I don't understand why there hasn't a HUGE push on sea water desalination all these years. For all the talk of rains and snowpacks, it is not as though it is difficult to do the math on demand and supply and realize that we can't be that beholden to these forces of nature.

There is a push to recycle sewage and drainage. Technology is all set and tried and ready. It is only a matter of time the Morarji Technology is employed in alleviating your drinking (water) problem.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:06 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kris wrote:

There is a push to recycle sewage and drainage. Technology is all set and tried and ready. It is only a matter of time the Morarji Technology is employed in alleviating your drinking (water) problem.
>>>But what is the problem with desalination of ocean water? Is it a cost issue? It can't be that it does not work from a science standpoint. San Diego I think is trying it. I am seriously stumped on why this solution is taking a back seat.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:08 pm

....Here are some answers to your question.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

....Here are some answers to your question.
>>>Thanks. The gist of all this comes down to short term thinking. As the guy says in the article, recycling and conservation can only happen when you have something to recycle and conserve. Also, it would seem intelligent to store water when the rains come and use desalinated water to meet part of the state's needs on an ongoing basis, instead of tossing it out completely every time there is a sign a drought is receding. It is not as though these droughts are infrequent these days. Some of the kinks may have to be worked out in the technology to make it less expensive and the make the coastal aquatic environment safer, but this is not going to happen if desalination is mothballed evry couple of years.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Arid regions around the world await the results of CA desal experiment.  These experiments can provide a safe and environmentally sound technology at a decreasing cost.  It is a technology lot of asian, middle east and african countries could use.

The high expense of desal plants may do some good to recycling and conservation efforts. These plants demonstrate how wise it is to preserve now than search for water later.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:48 pm

truthbetold wrote:Arid regions around the world await the results of CA desal experiment.  These experiments can provide a safe and environmentally sound technology at a decreasing cost.  It is a technology lot of asian, middle east and african countries could use.

The high expense of desal plants may do some good to recycling and conservation efforts. These plants demonstrate how wise it is to preserve now than search for water later.
>>>TBT,

One of the problems we seem to be having is a 'one step forward- two steps backward' scenario on desal technology. It seems to fade into the background any time we show signs of coming out of a drought in CA, except now in turns out this may not be that short-lived. This prevents the fine-tuning of the technology and working out the bugs. I wish they would tackle the water-problem as a long term issue. I know there are some economic and environmental concerns, but we are not going to solve anything if we just look at it once every few years.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Kris,

Your observation on short shortsightedness of politicos is accurate. But only CA has the need, money, and technology to try something big and then refine it to make it better and cheaper. CA is also a leader in ensuring civic responsibility (environmental impact). What ever amount of time it will take (years/ decades), the solution can only come from a place like CA.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:07 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kris,

Your observation on short shortsightedness of politicos is accurate. But only CA has the need, money, and technology to try something big and then refine it to make it better and cheaper. CA is also a leader in ensuring civic responsibility (environmental impact). What ever amount of time it will take (years/ decades), the solution can only come from a place like CA.
>>>TBT, the political infighting is too much on the overall water issue here. It has come to a head now. I hope you are right something is going to get done. If you get a chance watch the movie Chinatown (Roman Polanski movie -made in 1970 but set in the late 30s I think). It weaves in the story of how LA got its water. There are people in the Central Valley still ticked off about their water being stolen. Yes, if we solve this, it will set a precedent.  I mean that not just on the desal aspect but also water storage/conservation etc. This reliance on the rains and the snowpack in the sierras is like India and the monsoons, except we are in a first world country. That is what I find astounding.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Desalination plants in Tamil Nadu.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down