Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

useless (for me) news

Go down

useless (for me) news Empty useless (for me) news

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:54 am

If you can read and write (and of course speak) a foreign language - Hindi - Sanskrit - Telugu - etc., then you can get a full ride in UPenn, as long as you take that subject. Language is a mandatory subject there anyway, and those foreign language courses are easy.

Am too late to utilize this info, but anyone who can use it...

Back to top Go down

useless (for me) news Empty Re: useless (for me) news

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Any links?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:52 pm

I also thought I will look for links myself, but didn't get a chance so far. And lol, I am mixed up if it's UPenn or Penn State, but I am pretty sure it's UPenn given the bigger wow I had in my mind.

Someone I know has kids slightly younger than mine. He apparently met some desi (I think) linguistic prof who gave him this tip. He googled the heck out of this prof, and concluded that if the prof is legit, then the info must be too.

He was telling me that while I can't do much about older now, maybe I can start working on younger. Gave me shudders to just think of it. I lost the Hindi battle with older in 3 years. You would have thunk I will have better strategy, experience and luck with younger, but with him I surrendered in 1.5 years. Trying to talk to him in Hindi, or make him do Rosetta Stone, or taking him to Hindi school every Friday evening when he wanted to watch games on tv... yep that took away a decent chunk out of my otherwise valueless life. Sad because he did well in Hindi school, he just didn't want to go. Every Friday, 'son be ready for the class', and he would react as if it is the first Friday ever that I am asking him to be ready. 'What???? Hindi class???? Why???? But I have to watch [whatever] game today!!!!' And then XH would join in, 'Hindi class is useless, make him do Rosetta Stone. Reading/writing is not important. Speaking is'.  Rolling Eyes Anyway, will have to look for other resources or just pay for college.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:08 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I also thought I will look for links myself, but didn't get a chance so far. And lol, I am mixed up if it's UPenn or Penn State, but I am pretty sure it's UPenn given the bigger wow I had in my mind.

Someone I know has kids slightly younger than mine. He apparently met some desi (I think) linguistic prof who gave him this tip. He googled the heck out of this prof, and concluded that if the prof is legit, then the info must be too.

He was telling me that while I can't do much about older now, maybe I can start working on younger. Gave me shudders to just think of it. I lost the Hindi battle with older in 3 years. You would have thunk I will have better strategy, experience and luck with younger, but with him I surrendered in 1.5 years. Trying to talk to him in Hindi, or make him do Rosetta Stone, or taking him to Hindi school every Friday evening when he wanted to watch games on tv... yep that took away a decent chunk out of my otherwise valueless life. Sad because he did well in Hindi school, he just didn't want to go. Every Friday, 'son be ready for the class', and he would react as if it is the first Friday ever that I am asking him to be ready. 'What???? Hindi class???? Why???? But I have to watch [whatever] game today!!!!' And then XH would join in, 'Hindi class is useless, make him do Rosetta Stone. Reading/writing is not important. Speaking is'.  Rolling Eyes Anyway, will have to look for other resources or just pay for college.
Do they need to have passed a county/state exam for foreign languages or something? Speaking of wasting time on chauffeuring kids to language school, I understand the feeling, I've been through that as well, my kids have completed a 4-year Telugu course and can read and write but they don't speak much telugu.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:09 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I also thought I will look for links myself, but didn't get a chance so far. And lol, I am mixed up if it's UPenn or Penn State, but I am pretty sure it's UPenn given the bigger wow I had in my mind.

Do they need to have passed a county/state exam for foreign languages or something? Speaking of wasting time on chauffeuring kids to language school, I understand the feeling, I've been through that as well, my kids have completed a 4-year Telugu course and can read and write but they don't speak much telugu.

no idea... will ask him more when I talk to him next.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down