Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

travel on Rs 500/day

Go down

travel on Rs 500/day Empty travel on Rs 500/day

Post by Guest Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:23 am

this couple beats upps… i know i will never have the guts to do this… will revaluate when i am like 55. 

http://www.storypick.com/couple-that-traveled-india/

What do you do when you have Rs. 500 every day? Spend on a good lunch? Buy a good book?
This couple decided to travel. A lot.

Meet Devapriya Roy and her husband Saurav Jha, who took travelling goals for couples to a whole new level. The couple quit their 9-5 job and took to successfully accomplishing their true passion – traveling.

And not only did they travel the length and breadth of India, but they did it with a meagre Rs.500 for every day.

As told to HolidayIQ, Devapriya says, “As far as Saurav was concerned, travelling the country at length was definitely the first step to understanding what the Preamble to the Constitution calls ‘India that is Bharat’. Clearly, studio discussions were not enough. For me, it seemed that seeing the country is important for anyone with aspirations to writing. Rajashekhara’s Kavyamimamsa tells the apprentice poet to travel the length and breadth of the country.”

Saurav and Devpriya, not only traveled India on a small budget but also wrote a book – The Heat and Dust Project – about their travels. How cool is that?

The couple shared and said, ““India is full of wacky things! Every street corner has something wacky going on. The book documents a whole host of wacky stuff – and also an array of wacky characters, for example, our friends the Israeli twins, Motty, and Zvika Hillel, with whom we spent a lot of time in Rajasthan and in Paharganj, the backpacker hub of Delhi.”

Devpriya and Saurav not only proved that traveling does not require a lot of money, but also proved that traveling together like that was the ‘Ultimate Relationship Test’ – a sub-title they have also used for their book.

Devpriya says, “We joke that the real sub-title of the book is ‘The Ultimate Relationship Test’! The thing is, once one has traveled like that, the very idea of life afterward becomes a contingent thing, a work in progress. So it’s difficult to say how it worked out, as far as the idea of us is concerned. You know? It’s still working out. But one thing I can tell you, the relationship test has lots of incredible after-effects. For example, together, one will have such a mix of bizarre, exhausting and superb moments between the couple, garnered from the journey, that the texture of your relationship too will become more layered than before.”

And the entire journey changed their perspective towards life and traveling. When asked about it, Devpriya says, “You start seeing travel as life itself, not as an interruption of life.”

Well said. And they truly, truly gave us all travel + relationship goals.

Back to top Go down

travel on Rs 500/day Empty Re: travel on Rs 500/day

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:45 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:this couple beats upps… i know i will never have the guts to do this… will revaluate when i am like 55. 

http://www.storypick.com/couple-that-traveled-india/

What do you do when you have Rs. 500 every day? Spend on a good lunch? Buy a good book?
This couple decided to travel. A lot.

Meet Devapriya Roy and her husband Saurav Jha, who took travelling goals for couples to a whole new level. The couple quit their 9-5 job and took to successfully accomplishing their true passion – traveling.

It is not at all difficult - if you are not hung up on Status or have a string of constraints on food, transport, and stay. I went by bus in all 3 cities I traveled - and it cost me Rs 4 to Rs 20. The costliest was Rs 220 from BLR KempeGouda bus stand to the Airport (taxi costs around Rs 1500 to 2000) which I could not avoid. Ate at road side restaurant where 2 idlies were Rs 4 and Paratha Rs 8. Ate "meals" at BLR fast food for Rs 40. drank coffee several times at Rs 10 for a small cup. My Rs 2300 for 10 day trip even included Rs 580 for insulin for a relative and antibiotics for Rs 71 and 57. I avoided all hotels with glass door entrance with a NE watchman opening it for customers - that sure is a sign of a costiER place. I found several roadside temporary roadside dhabas on Tempos in my colony - a new thing - and I would have eaten in those if I had stayed longer. They make things in front of your eyes and I also feel better that it helps small guys who struggle to support the families. As always, I gave my "great advice" to a small road-sider on how to expand and popularize his new "restaurant." I will be sure to visit and see how it does on my next trip. I went through pouring rain with an umbrella to see the changes in the little "old" village next to my colony (this area is 250 to 500 years old). My neighbors were surprised as they had not visited this area for years.

So it all depends on how you view your life and world - there is a whole new other world in India which the Vernas and the Skodas dont even know.

And not only did they travel the length and breadth of India, but they did it with a meagre Rs.500 for every day.

As told to HolidayIQ, Devapriya says, “As far as Saurav was concerned, travelling the country at length was definitely the first step to understanding what the Preamble to the Constitution calls ‘India that is Bharat’. Clearly, studio discussions were not enough. For me, it seemed that seeing the country is important for anyone with aspirations to writing. Rajashekhara’s Kavyamimamsa tells the apprentice poet to travel the length and breadth of the country.”

Saurav and Devpriya, not only traveled India on a small budget but also wrote a book – The Heat and Dust Project – about their travels. How cool is that?

The couple shared and said, ““India is full of wacky things! Every street corner has something wacky going on. The book documents a whole host of wacky stuff – and also an array of wacky characters, for example, our friends the Israeli twins, Motty, and Zvika Hillel, with whom we spent a lot of time in Rajasthan and in Paharganj, the backpacker hub of Delhi.”

Devpriya and Saurav not only proved that traveling does not require a lot of money, but also proved that traveling together like that was the ‘Ultimate Relationship Test’ – a sub-title they have also used for their book.

Devpriya says, “We joke that the real sub-title of the book is ‘The Ultimate Relationship Test’! The thing is, once one has traveled like that, the very idea of life afterward becomes a contingent thing, a work in progress. So it’s difficult to say how it worked out, as far as the idea of us is concerned. You know? It’s still working out. But one thing I can tell you, the relationship test has lots of incredible after-effects. For example, together, one will have such a mix of bizarre, exhausting and superb moments between the couple, garnered from the journey, that the texture of your relationship too will become more layered than before.”

And the entire journey changed their perspective towards life and traveling. When asked about it, Devpriya says, “You start seeing travel as life itself, not as an interruption of life.”

Well said. And they truly, truly gave us all travel + relationship goals.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down