Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian batsmen's penchant for personal records

Go down

Indian batsmen's penchant for personal records Empty Indian batsmen's penchant for personal records

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Maxwell was right in his assertion that Kohli slowed down as he neared his hundred, though he was slightly off the mark with his figures, as the No.3 went from 84 off 61 to 100 off 84 and took 21 balls rather than 22 to make the 11 runs he needed to reach triple figures.

“I thought about that and I was like, ‘Jeez he did it so easily all the way up until then, and then you just lose a bit of momentum’.

“Then you look on the other hand, when you watch David Warner get into the 90s and he tries to hit Ishant Sharma for a slog-sweep for six. It’s just, to me, that’s two complete different ends of the spectrum. And then you look at the scoreline and you see 4-0. And to me, I’d much rather be 4-0 basically.”
“...The point that I was making, and it related more to when India were setting totals and had plenty of wickets in hand, is that the scoring rate seemed to slow as milestones got close, which can sometimes be the case, especially when teams are batting first.”

In fairness to Kohli, he was still looking to play his shots in the 90s only to hit fielders, and a match earlier at the MCG he moved from 84 to 100 in exactly 16 balls. He also gave up his wicket chasing quick runs in the first ODI at the WACA, caught in the deep for 91 looking to up the run rate.

But in that same game Rohit Sharma took 16 balls to move from 90 to 100, and a game later at the Gabba he went from 94 off 98 to 100 off 112. In both matches the consensus was that India had fallen 30 runs short of what it needed.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/australia-v-india-2016-virat-kohli-criticised-by-glenn-maxwell-for-chasing-century/news-story/0180078f1e7d727d0f30e2f905db7347

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down