Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wednesday Trivia

5 posters

Go down

Wednesday Trivia Empty Wednesday Trivia

Post by charvaka Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:41 pm

The other day we were talking about having regular weekly features on the forum. As an experiment, I am going to post a weekly trivia contest on Wednesdays. This particular installment is heavily skewed to my personal interests. If there is demand for other topics, I am happy to try and incorporate those.

Only one rule: absolutely no internet searching of any kind, please. If you'd like a hint on a specific question, let me know. I will post the answers on Monday evening.

Here are the questions...

1. In the time of Gautama Buddha, India was politically organized into a number of kingdoms and republics. The most prominent of these political entities were the 16 mahajanapadas. The territories of how many of those mahajanapadas are now substantially outside modern India?

Bonus: Name it / them.

2. How many of the old mahajanapadas were to the south of the Vindhyas?

Bonus: Name it / them.

3. Founded in the 13th century, this city's German name translates to "King's town." It was the home of renowned philosopher Immannuel Kant, who never traveled more than a hundred miles away from his hometown. What is the current name of this westernmost city of the Russian Federation?

4. The chemistry paper titled On the Influence of Carbonic Acid in the Air Upon the Temperature on the Ground was the first to talk about global warming caused by the greenhouse effect of atmopsheric carbon dioxide. In which year was this paper published?

Bonus: Who wrote the paper?

5. This person has places named after him in 18 countries in six continents. The first permanent English settlement in North
America was named for a king who in turn was named after this person. He is the patron saint of a number of countries, including Guatemala and Nicaragua. His name is spelled and pronounced differently in English, Spanish and Hebrew. Who is this person?

6. Osama bin Laden often referred to this treaty signed in 1648 and vowed to undo its consequences. Formally known as the Treaties of Münster and Osnabrück, this series of treaties is considered to have given birth to the modern concept of nation state. How is this treaty that concluded the Thirty Years’ War (recognized the independence of the Netherlands and Switzerland) commonly known?

7. The repeal of the English Corn Laws was the first major victory bringing this principle into practice. Ulysses S. Grant predicted that “within 200 years, when America has gotten out of protection all that it can offer, it too will adopt” this principle. Karl Marx said tounge-in-cheek that “those who wish for it desire it in order to alleviate the condition of the working class.” Name this economic principle.

8. The world isthmus – which has come to mean any short, narrow stretch of land that connects two large land masses – is derived from the name of this thin four mile stretch that connects the Peloponnesos peninsula to the European mainland. Name this original isthmus.

9. During his three years as a member of the English Parliament, his only recorded comment was to complain about the cold breeze in the chamber and request that the window be closed. He was knighted for his work at the Royal Mint. Although he took no religious vows, he is believed to have died a virgin. Name this well-known mathematics professor.

10. Toyota's popular sedan Camry got its name as the anglicized version of the Japanese word kanmuri. What does this word mean?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Trivia Empty Re: Wednesday Trivia

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:04 am

Wow..too tough.

5. St James
7. Free trade
9. Sir Isaac Newton
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:04 am

2. How many of the old mahajanapadas were to the south of the Vindhyas?

One - Andhra?

5. This person has places named after him in 18 countries in six continents. The first permanent English settlement in North
America was named for a king who in turn was named after this person. He is the patron saint of a number of countries, including Guatemala and Nicaragua. His name is spelled and pronounced differently in English, Spanish and Hebrew. Who is this person?

>>>>St. James?

6. Osama bin Laden often referred to this treaty signed in 1648 and vowed to undo its consequences. Formally known as the Treaties of Münster and Osnabrück, this series of treaties is considered to have given birth to the modern concept of nation state. How is this treaty that concluded the Thirty Years’ War (recognized the independence of the Netherlands and Switzerland) commonly known?

>>>> Treaty of Versailles (wild guess- don't think it is right). The other guess is The Edict of Nantes which I think is religious in nature.

7. The repeal of the English Corn Laws was the first major victory bringing this principle into practice. Ulysses S. Grant predicted that “within 200 years, when America has gotten out of protection all that it can offer, it too will adopt” this principle. Karl Marx said tounge-in-cheek that “those who wish for it desire it in order to alleviate the condition of the working class.” Name this economic principle.

>>>> Free market

8. The world isthmus – which has come to mean any short, narrow stretch of land that connects two large land masses – is derived from the name of this thin four mile stretch that connects the Peloponnesos peninsula to the European mainland. Name this original isthmus.

>>>> Thermopylae?

9. During his three years as a member of the English Parliament, his only recorded comment was to complain about the cold breeze in the chamber and request that the window be closed. He was knighted for his work at the Royal Mint. Although he took no religious vows, he is believed to have died a virgin. Name this well-known mathematics professor.

>>>Newton

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:33 am

Hmm. Tough!!

3. Founded in the 13th century, this city's German name translates to
"King's town." It was the home of renowned philosopher Immannuel Kant,
who never traveled more than a hundred miles away from his hometown.
What is the current name of this westernmost city of the Russian
Federation?

Konigsberg

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:03 pm

4. Don remember the exact year, but it is by end of last century or beginning of the 20th century. Arrhenius is the writer.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:04 pm

5. St. Frances?
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:13 pm

blabberwock wrote:Hmm. Tough!!

Federation?

Konigsberg

>>> I guessed the same, but ruled it out because I didn't think there was a place by this name in the russian federation. It is still possible since there was a substantial etrhnic german presence in these areas. Incodentally, I think this is woody allen's real family name.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:31 pm

1. kamboja and gandhara totally out. Sakya (or maybe kosala) and vanga substantially out. Perhaps the Licchavi republic (forget the name...vranga?) also significantly but maybe not substantially out. Incidentally, another trivia, licchavis were the only ones to use square coins.

2. One. Pandya?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Wow..too tough.

5. St James
7. Free trade
9. Sir Isaac Newton
All three are correct. I will give some hints for the rest.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Kris wrote:2. How many of the old mahajanapadas were to the south of the Vindhyas?

One - Andhra?

>>>>St. James?

>>>> Treaty of Versailles (wild guess- don't think it is right). The other guess is The Edict of Nantes which I think is religious in nature.

>>>> Free market

>>>> Thermopylae?

>>>Newton
2, 5, and 9 are correct. 7 is almost there; I was looking for free trade.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Federation?

Konigsberg
You have the correct city in mind. Its current name though is Russian; the Soviets annexed it after WWII and renamed it after the guy who was Russia's (and later the Soviet Union's) nominal head of state from 1919 to 1946. Anybody know the current Russian name of this city?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:18 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:4. Don remember the exact year, but it is by end of last century or beginning of the 20th century. Arrhenius is the writer.
Perfect! I wasn't looking for an exact year, you are close enough.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Kris wrote:

Federation?

Konigsberg

>>> I guessed the same, but ruled it out because I didn't think there was a place by this name in the russian federation. It is still possible since there was a substantial etrhnic german presence in these areas. Incodentally, I think this is woody allen's real family name.
I was going to use the Woody Allen name as an additional hint Smile.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Comprehensive answer to question 1!

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:1. kamboja and gandhara totally out.
Correct. The bulk of both territories was to the west of the Khyber Pass, in today's Frontier Province, Baluchistan, and Afghanistan.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:Sakya (or maybe kosala) and vanga substantially out.
Yes, a large part of Kosala was in Nepal. A large part of Vanga is in Bangladesh today.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:Perhaps the
Licchavi republic (forget the name...vranga?) also significantly but
maybe not substantially out.
vRji was the Sanskrit name, vajji in Prakrit. Their territory spanned today's West Bengal, Bihar and eastern parts of Nepal.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:Incidentally, another trivia, licchavis
were the only ones to use square coins.
Nice... didn't know that.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:2. One. Pandya?
One is correct. It was the territory between the rivers Godavari and Krishna, known as Ashmaka, corresponding to AP and eastern Maharashtra.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Trivia Empty Wednesday Trivia: update with hints

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:21 pm

The following four questions remain to be answered. I am adding a few additional hints.

3. Founded in the 13th century, this city's German name translates to "King's town." It was the home of renowned philosopher Immannuel Kant, who never traveled more than a hundred miles away from his hometown. What is the current name of this westernmost city of the Russian Federation?

Hint: The German name was Königsberg. The Soviets annexed it after WWII, expelled the German population, and named it after the guy who served as the first Chairman of the Supreme Soviet (an office held later by, among others, Brezhnev, Chernenko and Gorbachev.)

Hint: This set of treaties is commonly known by the name of a region in Germany. In addition to the towns of Münster and Osnabrück where the treaties in question were signed, this region includes the city of Dortmund. This region is now part of Germany's most populous state. The name of the state contains the name I am looking for.

Hint: The isthmus is named for the ancient city-state on its Peloponnese side. Located half-way between Athens and Sparta, this city played a pivotal role as the primary naval power on the Spartan side in the Peloponnesian Wars. The apostle Paul addressed two of his epistles to the Christians of this city. Today, the city is most known for one of the three orders of classical Greek architecture.

10. Toyota's popular sedan Camry got its name as the anglicized version of the Japanese word kanmuri. What does this word mean?

Hint: Over the last five decades, Toyota has named its primary models to mean the same thing. The Japanese word kanmuri means the full-size version of whatever Corolla means.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:29 pm

charvaka wrote:

Hint: Over the last five decades, Toyota has named its primary models to mean the same thing. The Japanese word kanmuri means the full-size version of whatever Corolla means.

Since there is a Toyota "Crown" model in Asia, I am guessing crown.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:29 pm

charvaka wrote:

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:39 pm

[quote="blabberwock"]
charvaka wrote:

You guessed it right. I checked that one long back on Internet when I brought a camry.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:41 pm

blabberwock wrote:
charvaka wrote:

Yes, you got it!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:45 pm

charvaka wrote:

Federation?

Konigsberg
You have the correct city in mind. Its current name though is Russian; the Soviets annexed it after WWII and renamed it after the guy who was Russia's (and later the Soviet Union's) nominal head of state from 1919 to 1946. Anybody know the current Russian name of this city?

That nominal head's name was Kalinin. I do not know the name of city but it going by russian names it is either Kaliningrad or Kalininberg.

This is a tough quiz. Knew only couple that were answered already. St james and Newton. (and Camry).

Q 1 and 2 are really fascinating.

Keep up the good work.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Hint: This set of treaties is commonly known by the name of a region in Germany. In addition to the towns of Münster and Osnabrück where the treaties in question were signed, this region includes the city of Dortmund. This region is now part of Germany's most populous state.

>>> Is it the Treaty of Westphalia? This is driving me nuts. I should know this

Hint: The isthmus is named for the ancient city-state on its Peloponnese side. Located half-way between Athens and Sparta, this city played a pivotal role as the primary naval power on the Spartan side in the Peloponnesian Wars. The apostle Paul addressed two of his epistles to the Christians of this city. Today, the city is most known for one of the three orders of classical Greek architecture.

>>>>.Corinth?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:14 pm

truthbetold wrote:That nominal head's name was Kalinin. I do not know the name of city but it going by russian names it is either Kaliningrad or Kalininberg.
Kaliningrad it is.

truthbetold wrote:This is a tough quiz. Knew only couple that were answered already. St james and Newton. (and Camry).

Q 1 and 2 are really fascinating.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks. I will make the questions a little less obscure next week Smile.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Kris wrote:Hint: This set of treaties is commonly known by the name of a region in Germany. In addition to the towns of Münster and Osnabrück where the treaties in question were signed, this region includes the city of Dortmund. This region is now part of Germany's most populous state.

>>> Is it the Treaty of Westphalia? This is driving me nuts. I should know this

>>>>.Corinth?
Yes, both correct. The quiz is all solved now.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Very nice questions.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:46 am

Charvaka wrote: It was the territory between the rivers Godavari and Krishna, known as Ashmaka, corresponding to AP and eastern Maharashtra.

Interesting! Did not know this. I just googled. I guess the pandya, chera and cholas were not republics. They also find mention a little later.

I knew kant never traveled more than 100 kms from his hometown but that was not the question, ha ha.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:46 am

charvaka wrote:
PseudoIntellectual wrote:4. Don remember the exact year, but it is by end of last century or beginning of the 20th century. Arrhenius is the writer.
Perfect! I wasn't looking for an exact year, you are close enough.
The year was 1896.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Charvaka wrote: It was the territory between the rivers Godavari and Krishna, known as Ashmaka, corresponding to AP and eastern Maharashtra.

Interesting! Did not know this. I just googled. I guess the pandya, chera and cholas were not republics. They also find mention a little later.

I knew kant never traveled more than 100 kms from his hometown but that was not the question, ha ha.
It is likely those states were not known to the chroniclers of Aryavarta at that time.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:14 am

Yes you are right. The antiquity of the chera, chola and pandya kingdoms is not under question. Thanks! this was a nice quiz. I liked the Camry question too for I am a loyal Toyota customer. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down