Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dalit woman in Gurgaon: "How do i tell my son that his father was killed over a cow?"

Go down

Dalit woman in Gurgaon: "How do i tell my son that his father was killed over a cow?" Empty Dalit woman in Gurgaon: "How do i tell my son that his father was killed over a cow?"

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:31 pm

The five Dalits — Virender, Dayachand, Totaram, Raju and Kailash — had been lynched at the Dulina police post near Jhajjar town, in the presence of police officers and district officials. The mob, that witness accounts say included anywhere between 400 and 5,000 men, accused the five of slaughtering a cow.

Laxmi Devi was 22 when her husband Virender was killed. Accusing police of being responsible, she asks why no action has been taken against them. “The vehicle he was in was transporting cattle hide to Karnal. Police arrested them because they refused to pay a bribe on the way, brought them to the Dulina post, thrashed them and told villagers returning from Dusshera celebrations that the men had killed a cow. The crowd got agitated and lynched them. Yehi sachayi hai (That is the truth),” she claims.

Following her husband’s death, Laxmi was given a peon’s job at a local government school and now lives with her two sons and mother-in-law in Badshahpur village. “My youngest was just a year old when they killed Virender. I still don’t know how to tell him his father was killed over a cow,” she says.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/cow-vigilantes-dalits-flogged-in-una-gujarat-dalit-protests-dalits-thrashed-2960562/

Back to top Go down