Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sindu beats world's No.2 to reach badminton semis

+8
Idéfix
garam_kuta
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
Vakavaka Pakapaka
swapna
silvermani
truthbetold
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sindu beats world's No.2 to reach badminton semis Empty Sindu beats world's No.2 to reach badminton semis

Post by truthbetold Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:26 pm

In a closely fought game, tall Indian pulled off a major upset by defeating world no. 2 badminton player.  She needs to win one more to ensure at least a silver.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Sindu beats world's No.2 to reach badminton semis Empty Re: Sindu beats world's No.2 to reach badminton semis

Post by silvermani Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:11 pm

How about a bronze? Is she assured of it already?
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Sindu beats world's No.2 to reach badminton semis Empty Re: Sindu beats world's No.2 to reach badminton semis

Post by truthbetold Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:50 pm

two wins - Gold.

One loss followed by win - bronze.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:16 am

is there any special reason why you omit the 'h' when you spell sindhu's name? could it be because you are a saambaar-slurping, souththindian bigot? have you always been a badminton enthusiast? or is your current excitement over the sport due to telega nationalism?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:25 am

truthbetold wrote:In a closely fought game, tall Indian pulled off a major upset by defeating world no. 2 badminton player.  She needs to win one more to ensure at least a silver.
100 times:

the tall indian
the tall indian

the tall indian

Last edited by swapna on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:30 am

is sindhu's caashTu the same as yours? her sub-caashTu? her gothram?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:39 am

swapna wrote:is sindhu's caashTu the same as yours? her sub-caashTu? her gothram?
She is not a Syrian Christian Iyer. So, her chances of winning a medal are slim.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:10 pm

swapna wrote:is sindhu's caashTu the same as yours? her sub-caashTu? her gothram?

Has it escaped your attention that sindhu is actually present day sindh in pakistan? Now, why would a southndian be named as sindhu? Did her forefathers migrate from there?
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:07 pm

silvermani wrote:

Has it escaped your attention that sindhu is actually present day sindh in pakistan?

** maNi, I would never think that a badminton player is "actually" a place in pakistan. it takes your kind of genius to teach an entire geographical area of pakistan to play world-class badminton, dress it in female clothes, and get it to represent india in the olympics.

** all of sindh - arid land, rivers, scrub vegetation and all - disguised as a woman playing badminton! imagine that!
----
Now, why would a southndian be named as sindhu? Did her forefathers migrate from there?

** I wouldn't know. ask sindhu's parents, or sindhu herself; my guess: many telegas seem to believe that it's more prestigious to be one of the northpeepals than themselves. I think it's a matter of (an acute shortage of) self-respect.

** tragically, the northpeepals constantly kick the telegapeepals in the teeth, despite the latter's sycophancy. I think these telegas are flattered - flattened? - by that kind of attention.
** see my.comments above.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:22 pm

Sindhu is also a form of poetry in Tamil, e.g. kavadi sindhu. I'd have no problem naming a girl child sindhu. There's a Carnatic raga called sindhu bhairavi. There's nothing northindian about it. The river in Punjab and the province surrounding it is Sindh not Sindhu.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Sindhu is also a form of poetry in Tamil, e.g. kavadi sindhu. I'd have no problem naming a girl child sindhu. There's a Carnatic raga called sindhu bhairavi. There's nothing northindian about it. The river in Punjab and the province surrounding it is Sindh not Sindhu.

The Indus river is also known as the Sindhu river, not as Sindh river.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Nevertheless the word has a meaning independent of any northindian antecedents at least in one southern Indian language. That was more my point, not potential variants of Sindh.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:51 pm

Irony alert - when you look up d's name on Wikipedia.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:54 pm

swapna wrote:
silvermani wrote:

Has it escaped your attention that sindhu is actually present day sindh in pakistan?

** maNi, I would never think that a badminton player is "actually" a place in pakistan. it takes your kind of genius to teach an entire geographical area of pakistan to play world-class badminton, dress it in female clothes, and get it to represent india in the olympics.

** all of sindh - arid land, rivers, scrub vegetation and all - disguised as a woman playing badminton! imagine that!
----
Now, why would a southndian be named as sindhu? Did her forefathers migrate from there?

** I wouldn't know. ask sindhu's parents, or sindhu herself; my guess: many telegas seem to believe that it's more prestigious to be one of the northpeepals than themselves. I think it's a matter of (an acute shortage of) self-respect.

** tragically, the northpeepals constantly kick the telegapeepals in the teeth, despite the latter's sycophancy. I think these telegas are flattered - flattened? - by that kind of attention.

Bringing up the Sindh-Pak connection is as meaningless as your questioning about her cashtu and the OP's cashtu.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Sindhu is also a form of poetry in Tamil, e.g. kavadi sindhu. I'd have no problem naming a girl child sindhu. There's a Carnatic raga called sindhu bhairavi. There's nothing northindian about it. The river in Punjab and the province surrounding it is Sindh not Sindhu.
except for the last sentence, your post is irrelevant. this thread is about an indian badminton player called sindhu, not about music.

I had questioned:

1. tbt's spelling of the badminton player's name as "sindu", while her name is clearly "sindhu" (note the 'h').

2. maNi's claim, "sindhu is actually present-day sindh in pakistan." (it is not; the first is a river, esp if preceded by a "the," a female's name, or other things associated with the region, while the latter is a specific geographic region.)

you confused this thread in your eagerness to talk about music, but in your last sentence, confirmed what I had said about sindh.

I suspect that the word "sindhu" is an adjective, or is adjective-like, meaning, "of sindh," and similar to descriptions like "himalayan" and "hellenic."

while the music you refer to may be southern indian, the "sindhu" that's in its name ("sindhu bhairavi?") almost surely refers to the sindh region of pakistan, which is northindian. to my knowledge, there is only one sindh. I still wonder why it's called "sindhu bhairavi."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:22 pm

swapna wrote:
except for the last sentence, your post is irrelevant. this thread is about an indian badminton player called sindhu, not about music.

I had questioned:

1. tbt's spelling of the badminton player's name as "sindu", while her name is clearly "sindhu" (note the 'h').

2. maNi's claim, "sindhu is actually present-day sindh in pakistan." (it is not; the first is a river, esp if preceded by a "the," a female's name, or other things associated with the region, while the latter is a specific geographic region.)

you confused this thread in your eagerness to talk about music, but in your last sentence, confirmed what I had said about sindh.

I suspect that the word "sindhu" is an adjective, or is adjective-like, meaning, "of sindh," and similar to descriptions like "himalayan" and "hellenic."

while the music you refer to may be southern indian, the "sindhu" that's in its name ("sindhu bhairavi?") almost surely refers to the sindh region of pakistan, which is northindian. to my knowledge, there is only one sindh. I still wonder why it's called "sindhu bhairavi."

Sindhu Bhairavi is also a raga in Hindustani classical. The name is probably meant to convey and evoke the majesty and beauty of the Sindhu (Indus) river.

Sindhu Bhairavi is said to have it’s origin from Hindustani, and is a morning Raga according to the North Indian Musical tradition . The raaga Sindhubhairavi evokes very happy and pleasant emotions. This raga is one of its kind were all the 16 swaras in Carnatic system are used. It is a colourful raga and soothes the nervous system. It is said that the Raga can cure Headache, back pain and chest pain and can give freshness to the mind.

https://anuradhamahesh.wordpress.com/carnatic-raga-appreciation/3-sindhubhairavi-a-blend-of-folk-and-classical-touch/

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Rashmun wrote:
swapna wrote:

I had questioned:

Sindhu Bhairavi is also a raga in Hindustani classical. The name is probably meant to convey and evoke the majesty and beauty of the Sindhu (Indus) river.

Sindhu Bhairavi is said to have it’s origin from Hindustani, and is a morning Raga according to the North Indian Musical tradition . The raaga Sindhubhairavi evokes very happy and pleasant emotions. This raga is one of its kind were all the 16 swaras in Carnatic system are used. It is a colourful raga and soothes the nervous system. It is said that the Raga can cure Headache, back pain and chest pain and can give freshness to the mind.

https://anuradhamahesh.wordpress.com/carnatic-raga-appreciation/3-sindhubhairavi-a-blend-of-folk-and-classical-touch/

Sindu beats world's No.2 to reach badminton semis Bash-head

take a break, hofosho! What a Face
Propagandhi711 wrote:douchemun is just the heinous1's concubine. he likes to wear frilly lehangas and feed the constipated1 prune juice in pimp chalise ....

garam_kuta wrote:folks - we have quite a few trump wannabe here:
while rashmun has adequately confessed that his other favorite is sapna, who is a certified casteist that spews hatred on brahmins, the same rashmun posts this today
Rashmun wrote:the website given in my earlier post, from which the Bhagwan article is extracted, has a picture of Periyar. i would like to clarify that i am opposed to Periyar since i believe Periyar preached (among other things) caste hatred which needs to be opposed...
indeed a potential material for medical research, i tell ya!

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:34 pm

silvermani wrote:
swapna wrote:
silvermani wrote:

----

Bringing up the Sindh-Pak connection is as meaningless as your questioning about her cashtu and the OP's cashtu.
maNi, look above. you asked, "has it escaped your attention that sindhu is actually sindh in present-day pakistan?" 

you are the one who brought up the sindh-pakistan connection!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:37 pm

http://ilakkiyam.com/sindhupadal
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 pm

swapna wrote:
truthbetold wrote:In a closely fought game, tall Indian pulled off a major upset by defeating world no. 2 badminton player.  She needs to win one more to ensure at least a silver.
100 times:

the tall indian
the tall indian

the tall indian
Last edited by swapna on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

mbwahahah.. you edited 2 times in posting those 4 words...the decay is near complete  Sad

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:48 pm

I am reasonably certain that the Sindhu in Sindhu Bhairavi is of Tamil provenance. The ancient paNNs of the Tamils are closely related to some major Carnatic scales. Sindhu is one type of paNN. Some musically inclined families have a tradition of naming their girl children after Carnatic ragas.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:58 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I am reasonably certain that the Sindhu in Sindhu Bhairavi is of Tamil provenance. The ancient paNNs of the Tamils are closely related to some major Carnatic scales. Sindhu is one type of paNN. Some musically inclined families have a tradition of naming their girl children after Carnatic ragas.

boys, as well - mohan, kalyaN, ranjan, rAmapriyan, sahAn etc.,

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:38 pm

swapna wrote:I suspect that the word "sindhu" is an adjective, or is adjective-like, meaning, "of sindh," and similar to descriptions like "himalayan" and "hellenic."
That is quite unlikely. Sindhu is the name of the river that flows from the Himalayas to the Arabian Sea, and the word sindhu is used as a synonym for the word "river" in several Indian languages including Telugu. The word Sindh is a result of the typical northindian practice of dropping the last vowels in some Sanskrit words.

swapna wrote:
It is far more likely that the name of the raga refers to the name of the river, or any generic river, than to the region where that river forms a delta.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:24 pm

Idéfix wrote:
swapna wrote:I suspect that the word "sindhu" is an adjective, or is adjective-like, meaning, "of sindh," and similar to descriptions like "himalayan" and "hellenic."
That is quite unlikely. Sindhu is the name of the river that flows from the Himalayas to the Arabian Sea, and the word sindhu is used as a synonym for the word "river" in several Indian languages including Telugu. The word Sindh is a result of the typical northindian practice of dropping the last vowels in some Sanskrit words.

swapna wrote:
It is far more likely that the name of the raga refers to the name of the river, or any generic river, than to the region where that river forms a delta.

interesting that in thamizh, "sindhi.."  refers to, and generally means flow of/fall of, like water or any fluid, including sambar Wink - mostly liquid forms. of course, there is much more to it, but the direct association is interesting.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:04 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

swapna wrote:

interesting that in thamizh, "sindhi.."  refers to, and generally means flow of/fall of, like water or any fluid, including sambar Wink - mostly liquid forms. of course, there is much more to it, but the direct association is interesting.
Sindhu can stand for a river, an ocean, a sea, a large body of water and even a handful of water! In ancient India, worship can be through fire and/or water. Agni and Varuna, thus, became prominent in rituals.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:27 pm

if there's nothing northindian about the carnatic raga, why is it called sindhu bhairavi, sindhu being a distinctly northindian, pakistani river? were the composers tamil brahmins, and were they expressing their admiration for northpeepals? have northpeepals heard of these tamil brahmins?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:26 am

swapna wrote:
if there's nothing northindian about the carnatic raga, why is it called sindhu bhairavi, sindhu being a distinctly northindian, pakistani river? were the composers tamil brahmins, and were they expressing their admiration for northpeepals? have northpeepals heard of these tamil brahmins?

actually it's your humble, dedicated maid rashmun who named it sindhu bhairavi in your honor, all due to your unparalleled fascination with fluids, their dynamics, phase transitions etc.,

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:43 am

garam_kuta wrote:
swapna wrote:

actually it's your humble, dedicated maid rashmun who named it sindhu bhairavi in your honor, all due to your unparalleled fascination with fluids, their dynamics, phase transitions etc.,

Sindu beats world's No.2 to reach badminton semis Funny-dog-with-a-bone-4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:58 am

swapna wrote:

i think Max's point is that the same word can have a different origin (and meaning). for instance, naayi means dog in tamil but in hindi it means a barber.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:54 am

swapna wrote:

Why so much hostility over so trivial a matter? Ever heard of homonyms? The classification of Tamil poetry and melodies (paNNs) pre dates any knowledge of Pakistan.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:32 am

Here listen to this song:

The lyrics of the song go, "nAn oru sindhu, kAvadichchindu..." etc. The woman is describing herself as a sindhu, a kAvadi sindhu, which doesn't make sense if the reference is to the Pakistani river, a proper noun. And thus my conclusion that Sindhu is one of those names which started life as a common noun and much later also became a proper noun.

Rashmun -- drawing conclusions from the mere existence of similar raga names in Carnatic and Hindustani music is perilous. One never knows which direction the names went. For one, the southern Indian system is more ancient and is thought to be the forerunner of both modern classification systems, so name commonality is natural, but there have also been more recent borrowings going both ways. For another, ragas whose names sound similar often sound completely different and bear no resemblance to each other. For example Ragas Hameer of Hindustani music and Hameer Kalyani of Carnatic music (which is closer to the Hindustani raga Kedar), sound totally different and are of completely different scalar origin.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:15 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:

Why so much hostility over so trivial a matter? Ever heard of homonyms? The classification of Tamil poetry and melodies (paNNs) pre dates any knowledge of Pakistan.
Because Thomas is an idiot. That's why. Always been one.

Some Northindian must have inappropriately touched him when Thomas was growing up and see what we got as a result.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:02 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_River wrote:

Etymology and names[edit]

This river was known to the ancient Iranians in Avestan as Hindu, in Sanskrit as Sindhu, to Assyrians (as early as the 7th century BC) as Sinda, to the Persians as Ab-e-sind, to the Greeks as Indos, to theRomans as Indus, to the Pashtuns as Abasind, to the Arabs as Al-Sind, to the Chinese as Sintow, and to the Javanese as Santri.[citation needed] In Pali, Síndhu means "river, stream" and refers to the Indus River in particular.[1]
The word "Indus" is the romanised form of the ancient Greek word "Indós" (Ἰνδός), borrowed from the old Persian word "Hinduš" which is in turn borrowed from the Sanskrit word "Sindhu".
Megasthenes's book Indica derives its name from the river's Greek name, "Indós" (Ἰνδός), and describes Nearchus's contemporaneous account of how Alexander the Great crossed the river. The ancient Greeks referred to the Indians (people of present-day northwest India and Pakistan) as "Indói" (Ἰνδοί), literally meaning "the people of the Indus".[2][clarification needed] The country of India and the Pakistani province of Sindh owe their names to the river.[3][clarification needed]

Rigveda and the Indus[edit]

Rigveda also describes several mythical rivers, including one named "Sindhu". The Rigvedic "Sindhu" is thought to be the present-day Indus river and is attested 176 times in its text – 95 times in the plural, more often used in the generic meaning. In the Rigveda, notably in the later hymns, the meaning of the word is narrowed to refer to the Indus river in particular, as in the list of rivers mentioned in the hymn ofNadistuti sukta. The Rigvedic hymns apply a feminine gender to all the rivers mentioned therein but "Sindhu" is the only river attributed with a masculine gender. Sindhu is seen as a strong warrior amongst other rivers which are seen as goddesses and compared to cows and mares yielding milk and butter.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:11 am

Hellsangel wrote:

This river was known to the ancient Iranians in Avestan as Hindu, in Sanskrit as Sindhu, to Assyrians (as early as the 7th century BC) as Sinda, to the Persians as Ab-e-sind, to the Greeks as Indos, to theRomans as Indus, to the Pashtuns as Abasind, to the Arabs as Al-Sind, to the Chinese as Sintow, and to the Javanese as Santri.[citation needed] In Pali, Síndhu means "river, stream" and refers to the Indus River in particular.[1]
The word "Indus" is the romanised form of the ancient Greek word "Indós" (Ἰνδός), borrowed from the old Persian word "Hinduš" which is in turn borrowed from the Sanskrit word "Sindhu".
Megasthenes's book Indica derives its name from the river's Greek name, "Indós" (Ἰνδός), and describes Nearchus's contemporaneous account of how Alexander the Great crossed the river. The ancient Greeks referred to the Indians (people of present-day northwest India and Pakistan) as "Indói" (Ἰνδοί), literally meaning "the people of the Indus".[2][clarification needed] The country of India and the Pakistani province of Sindh owe their names to the river.[3][clarification needed]

Rigveda also describes several mythical rivers, including one named "Sindhu". The Rigvedic "Sindhu" is thought to be the present-day Indus river and is attested 176 times in its text – 95 times in the plural, more often used in the generic meaning. In the Rigveda, notably in the later hymns, the meaning of the word is narrowed to refer to the Indus river in particular, as in the list of rivers mentioned in the hymn ofNadistuti sukta. The Rigvedic hymns apply a feminine gender to all the rivers mentioned therein but "Sindhu" is the only river attributed with a masculine gender. Sindhu is seen as a strong warrior amongst other rivers which are seen as goddesses and compared to cows and mares yielding milk and butter.

That is still tangential to the point I was making. Briefly, the word sindhu has a meaning aside from "river" in Tamil and possibly other Dravidian languages. One of them being a type of poem and a related one, a type of melody. It is likely that the southern Indian given name Sindhu has its origins in these meanings and not necessarily related to the river Sindhu of the Rig Veda. As an aside, it is more than likely that the Sindhu of the raga name Sindhu Bhairavi has a Dravidian provenance given that poetry and music are so closely related in the southern Indian tradition. Ancient Tamils always referred to Iyal (literature), Isai (Music), Nadakam (Drama) as one entity.

When I first heard the badminton player's name, I must say that the first thoughts that occurred to me about her name were the Tamil poetic and musical meanings and not the river Sind (Indus).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:26 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

That is still tangential to the point I was making. Briefly, the word sindhu has a meaning aside from "river" in Tamil and possibly other Dravidian languages. One of them being a type of poem and a related one, a type of melody. It is likely that the southern Indian given name Sindhu has its origins in these meanings and not necessarily related to the river Sindhu of the Rig Veda. As an aside, it is more than likely that the Sindhu of the raga name Sindhu Bhairavi has a Dravidian provenance given that poetry and music are so closely related in the southern Indian tradition. Ancient Tamils always referred to Iyal (literature), Isai (Music), Nadakam (Drama) as one entity.

When I first heard the badminton player's name, I must say that the first thoughts that occurred to me about her name were the Tamil poetic and musical meanings and not the river Sind (Indus).

It is interesting that Sindhu is considered to be a male river in the Rigveda.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:25 am

http://www.flashscore.com/badminton/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:43 am

Rashmun wrote:
swapna wrote:

i think Max's point is that the same word can have a different origin (and meaning). for instance, naayi means dog in tamil but in hindi it means a barber.

yo chompissky,
please spare us the pain, and just stick to copy-pasting..
it is naai, 'நாய்', NOT naayi, 'நாயி'. Rolling Eyes
you and sapna are the most incorrigible; and compared to you two, trump is a saint, i tell ya No

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:51 am

Closely fought, but she won!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:09 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
swapna wrote:

yo chompissky,
it is naai, 'நாய்', NOT naayi, 'நாயி'.  Rolling Eyes  
you and sapna are the most incorrigible; and compared to you two, trump is a saint, i tell ya No

what is relevant here is not the spelling of the word but its pronunciation. Here:

Sindu beats world's No.2 to reach badminton semis Dog-with-cucumber-graphic

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:15 am

Idéfix wrote:Closely fought, but she won!
Next is the gold medal match?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:51 am

Rashmun wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
swapna wrote:

yo chompissky,
it is naai, 'நாய்', NOT naayi, 'நாயி'.  Rolling Eyes  

what is relevant here is not the spelling of the word but its pronunciation...
rrr...right! mbwahahaha...bite me chompissky, bite me...loser! like i said before, just stick to copy-pasting; that way, you can call yourself joLcopier...hahaha! that's right, joLcopier rofl

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Idéfix wrote:Closely fought, but she won!
Next is the gold medal match?
Yes, tomorrow morning against the top-ranked player in the world.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:

discussion is not (an expression of) hostility. when you post, there is always a risk that someone will post a different opinion. 

given the number of words you've posted here on the use of the word sindhu, it's apparently not a trivial matter to you.

I don't know what you mean by "predates any knowledge of pakistan." there were many references to the sindhu river in the rig veda, which dates back to about 1500 b.c., and that predates carnatic music. did the tamils, most likely brahmins, make up the name "sindhu" independently and by chance?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:12 pm

swapna wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:

discussion is not (an expression of) hostility. when you post, there is always a risk that someone will post a different opinion. 

given the number of words you've posted here on the use of the word sindhu, it's apparently not a trivial matter to you.

I don't know what you mean by "predates any knowledge of pakistan." there were many references to the sindhu river in the rig veda, which dates back to about 1500 b.c., and that predates carnatic music. did the tamils, most likely brahmins, make up the name "sindhu" independently and by chance?

please read what i have posted before on this thread. i am not aware that the word sindhu was used to mean a type of poem or a type of melody in the rig veda. and i am also not sure why you are fixated on tamil brahmins. i don't know the caste of the folks who wrote the first verses classified as sindhus or the melodic scale which eventually came to be known as sindhu bhairavi. regardless of the modern history of CM, brahmins were not the only people engaged in music as a profession in ancient times-- there were the isai pANars and the isai veLLAlars to whom you'll find copious references in literary history who were engaged in music making and singing.

IMO this rigvedic river reference is a red herring since it has nothing to with the proper noun under discussion. consider that in light of the wiki entry that HA posted which makes the claim that the rigvedic river in question was considered masculine.

about whether tamils independently make up the word sindhu -- that is the point of homonyms -- yes they can and do arise independently and of course by chance.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:24 pm

swapna - look here (i know you read tamil):
http://www.projectmadurai.org/pm_etexts/utf8/pmuni0263.html

in tamil literature, marabuppA or traditional poetry has a strict grammar. look at sections 4 and 5 titled sindhuppA and sindhuppA peyarkAraNam which discuss the grammar of the sindhus and the reason for their name.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:42 pm

Haha, glad to see the eminent scholars of SUCH dissect and discuss the sindhi - paki issue with so much passion!
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:14 pm

achchachO! love's labor's lost, eh? after all the buildup of an insidious entrapment, tch, tch, tch..someone got smarter, and it slipped through the cracks! hahaha...

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Thomas,

Don't fuss too much. This "Sindhu thing" is beyond you. And Sindhu word was not born after 1947. It didn't come with Jesus either or Assad's Syria.

This is from a region familiar to you, called India.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:36 pm

southindian wrote:Thomas,

Don't fuss too much. This "Sindhu thing" is beyond you. And Sindhu word was not born after 1947. It didn't come with Jesus either or Assad's Syria.

There was no India before 1947 either. And I wonder why the national anthem hasn't deleted reference to sindh after 1947. It still has the line "punjab sindhu gujarat maratha".
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:48 pm

silvermani wrote:
southindian wrote:Thomas,

There was no India before 1947 either. And I wonder why the national anthem hasn't deleted reference to sindh after 1947. It still has the line "punjab sindhu gujarat maratha".

you don't dare! georgy wouldn't have liked it, don't you think? Laughing

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next