Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trump's New America

+4
MaxEntropy_Man
Hellsangel
Idéfix
gult_girl
8 posters

Go down

Trump's New America Empty Trump's New America

Post by gult_girl Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:41 am

Be safe everyone, many of them are actually happening in blue states
https://www.facebook.com/shaunking/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED
https://news.fastcompany.com/there-have-been-more-than-80-hate-incidents-since-trumps-victory-says-watchdog-group-4024699
https://twitter.com/i/moments/796417517157830656

gult_girl

Back to top Go down

Trump's New America Empty Re: Trump's New America

Post by Idéfix Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:48 am

I have lived in the Bay Area for 12 years now. About a month ago, someone told me to "go back to your country." First time it happened to me here. As I drove away from the scene, I saw the Trump sign on that person's truck. So not surprised that many of these incidents are happening in the blue states. Remember that racists in the Bay Area -- few and far between as they are -- have been feeling powerless and victimized for a long time, this is their moment of vindication and re-empowerment.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:53 am

Idéfix wrote:I have lived in the Bay Area for 12 years now. About a month ago, someone told me to "go back to your country." First time it happened to me here. As I drove away from the scene, I saw the Trump sign on that person's truck. So not surprised that many of these incidents are happening in the blue states. Remember that racists in the Bay Area -- few and far between as they are -- have been feeling powerless and victimized for a long time, this is their moment of vindication and re-empowerment.
Ha ha! After mocking anecdotal posts, you want to make your own now?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by gult_girl Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:58 am

Idéfix wrote:I have lived in the Bay Area for 12 years now. About a month ago, someone told me to "go back to your country." First time it happened to me here. As I drove away from the scene, I saw the Trump sign on that person's truck. So not surprised that many of these incidents are happening in the blue states. Remember that racists in the Bay Area -- few and far between as they are -- have been feeling powerless and victimized for a long time, this is their moment of vindication and re-empowerment.
wow this is sad to hear happening in Bay Area, Adults might be able handle better but I am more worried about that is happening more in schools

gult_girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:08 am

Hellsangel wrote:
You lost me there. I am talking about an experience I had about 4 weeks ago, not sure what you are upset about.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:08 am

gult_girl wrote:
wow this is sad to hear happening in Bay Area, Adults might be able handle better but I am more worried about that is happening more in schools

That's my biggest worry. However, we can't insulate them from it completely. This is everyday reality for black kids, especially boys in this country every single day. Maybe we'll learn to develop much more empathy for them. And god forbid if our kids do encounter crap like this I hope after recovering from the initial shock, it will motivate them to get even more politically involved. That will be the silver lining.

Amidst all this doom and gloom, we can at least celebrate Kamala H's win.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:09 am

My kids have heard this in school all the time (daughter all her life, and son only began recently). To the point that they just add it up to be stupid ignorance more than any real threat. They just come up with equally quippy comebacks based on the person's ethnicity or looks.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:10 am

Scarlet O'Hara wrote:

My kids have heard this in school all the time (daughter all her life, and son only began recently). To the point that they just add it up to be stupid ignorance more than any real threat. They just come up with equally quippy comebacks based on the person's ethnicity or looks.

Are you serious? Really? In NJ! Wow, we do live in the most insulated liberal bubble ever.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:18 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Scarlet O'Hara wrote:

Are you serious? Really? In NJ! Wow, we do live in the most insulated liberal bubble ever.

**you most certainly do. i have grown up with racist remarks in the heart of NYC all teh time. And take you medication before you read further:  even from Jewish kids.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:19 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Amidst all this doom and gloom, we can at least celebrate Kamala H's win.
My few highlights from the worst election defeat since I moved to the US:
Kamala Harris will be the junior Senator from California!
California passed a lot of the ballot initiatives I was rooting for: more money for schools, extension of tax surcharge on high-income earners, tobacco tax increase, adjustments to mandatory sentencing rules for nonviolent felons, background checks for purchasing ammo, recreational marijuana, ban on single-use bags. The only one I wanted that didn't pass was the price caps on prescription drugs at the level that the VA pays. Big Pharma won that by spending more than 100 million on ads.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:21 am

you know what, i want to be a super secular-elite: i want to be protected from everything, i want to have a good life and a good salary and not encounter any racism or poverty or idiocy or anything up-close. i want to observe it from afar and fill up my posts with moral superiority. i just want to know what that's like, just curiosity.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:25 am

pravalika nanda wrote:you know what, i want to be a super secular-elite: i want to be protected from everything, i want to have a good life and a good salary and not encounter any racism or poverty or idiocy or anything up-close. i want to observe it from afar and fill up my posts with moral superiority. i just want to know what that's like, just curiosity.
You are clubbing very different things together. It is a reasonable expectation to not want to deal with racism. It is not a reasonable expectation to not want to deal with poverty, or with idiocy.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:26 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Scarlet O'Hara wrote:

You must be living in a pretty affluent neighborhood with high levels of literacy (of the parents), max.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:45 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
You lost me there. I am talking about an experience I had about 4 weeks ago, not sure what you are upset about.
That's OK. When it's your experience, it is the truth. Everyone else makes up stories. Typical Libby arrogance.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:37 pm

All immigrants face:
Why are you here?

When are gong back?

Why don't you go back to your country?

etc.  

Some of this is due to ignorance, difficulty in dealing with new people, culture shock for those who came to a university from a rural area, sheer lack of social skills and personal arrogance.  We have to learn to work with them and all most all of them will learn to be respectful over a period of time. But a few will go beyond normal behaviour and act out. Some could even become physical.  

The election may have emboldened some of the radical right wing elements to go out and act out. We have to continue to deal with tact as most encounters are non events but learn to spot indicators for few events that could turn into real trouble.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:00 pm

my mom and I were just talking and she said: "nuvvu trumpu trumpu depression ani malli nannu call chesthe neeku nalugu vaayistha. either look for a guy or do your work."

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:04 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
That's OK. When it's your experience, it is the truth. Everyone else makes up stories. Typical Libby arrogance.
We get it! we get it! Resident republicans who didn't vote for Trump but enjoy Hillary's loss are never judgmental.

Last edited by confuzzled dude on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:09 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:my mom and I were just talking and she said: "nuvvu trumpu trumpu depression ani malli nannu call chesthe neeku nalugu vaayistha. either look for a guy or do your work."
manchi salaha Smile Things will settle down in a few days, and remember Trump won't last that long, his temperament is way too great to waste his time as POTUS doing mundane stuff.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:15 pm

most of these reports turned out to be hoaxes.
this reminds me so much of the intolerance and award-waapasi drama.
the libbies/leftists are same everywhere.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:20 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:my mom and I were just talking and she said: "nuvvu trumpu trumpu depression ani malli nannu call chesthe neeku nalugu vaayistha. either look for a guy or do your work."

adhenti? Someprofile mom, nee mom okaru kaadha?

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Haha, she sounds wise.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:57 pm

the pravalika nanda wrote:my mom and I were just talking and she said: "nuvvu trumpu trumpu depression ani malli nannu call chesthe neeku nalugu vaayistha. either look for a guy or do your work."
Naa stithi kooda alane undi. The whole election season has been pretty trying. I think after this night, i want to put everything behind and focus on other things.
Trump's New America Img_7220

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:23 pm

http://wgno.com/2016/11/10/police-lafayette-student-lied-about-being-robbed-of-wallet-hijab-by-trump-supporters/

http://www.fakehatecrimes.org/

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:26 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Scarlet O'Hara wrote:

It's not that bad an experience, to be honest. It's a perfect mix of open and ignorant. Most of her classmates, all races, have traveled extensively, so it's not like they are living in a well or rural bubble. Eventually everybody learns. This kind of mix also used to give me a chance to instill some sense of reality in them. e.g. I tell them right on their face, 'you can criticize these people all you want, but they are the ones doing all volunteering services. Going out for street cleaning, clothing drive, food drive, and what not. How many brown skins do you see there? How many of us join armed services? Yes, we contribute in other ways, but need to also see what they do, and try to bring out the best in each other.'

It educated my kids enough to call out any sign of racism on my part as well. Like the other day I didn't take decent flight deals just coz they had stop overs in Moscow or any middle eastern country. I would look the details, and say 'Moscow?' or 'Qatar?' and then gasp and say, 'no way'! And pat come the comment - mommy u r so racist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down