Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gift for professor - Continued

+2
Merlot Daruwala
The Absolute Zero
6 posters

Go down

Gift for professor - Continued Empty Gift for professor - Continued

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:58 am

Well I do not want to dig the old post and continue but this is the new development.

After I met him with family in Nov, I told you all, that he refused my gift and I am now stuck with two Sears cards that I cannot refund because Sears does not take cards back. Instead of accepting the gift, he refused but gave my wife another gift (A fruit holding plate made in Taiwan, brought from Taiwan). As ashamed as I was, the gift came to us anyway because he handed it to wife/kid. Now the shock part.

He ordered an iPad2 to my daughter (along with a case and he even got the iPad2 engraved with our/his last name "from.... to..... I guess total would be more than $550 for this 16GB unit, cover and engraving) from apple store and he says "It was my wife's idea and please do not get upset with me." [$%!@#$%^&* I am now not able to know where to hide my face and rocking my brains why he is bahaving this way. Guess what? I know where he lives in the Univ area he teaches but he is now on vacation in CA and I do not know even his address to send a thank you card.

I want to cancel this order but cannot becuase he made the order. My idea now is to keep quiet, let a card go to his Univ address, written by my daughter, and then after a couple of months send some Airline credit card to him, from an airline that flies from his city to CA because he flies regularly between those cities.

My fear: What if he sends the card back? Then I will be stuck with yet another credit/gift card that I cannot/do not want to use. He mentioned that he goes to Firestone for auto repairs. Should I send Firestone card? If he returns it, I will be stuck with the same dilemma. Opinions please?

The - Really mad now - Absolute(ly) - not able to choose what to do - Zero

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Gift for professor - Continued Empty Re: Gift for professor - Continued

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:37 pm

My theory: he saw your $2.99 shirt, Rs 299 pair of quo-vadis and that winter hat that covered your neck and was so moved by your state, he decided to take care of you financially. Soon you may discover that he's set up a college fund for your daughter as well.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:39 pm

LOL...this is getting hilariouser

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:46 pm

TAZ, give me the Sears cards... heard they going OOB soon. So might take advantage of some killer sales.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:42 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:Well I do not want to dig the old post and continue but this is the new development.

After I met him with family in Nov, I told you all, that he refused my gift and I am now stuck with two Sears cards that I cannot refund because Sears does not take cards back. Instead of accepting the gift, he refused but gave my wife another gift (A fruit holding plate made in Taiwan, brought from Taiwan). As ashamed as I was, the gift came to us anyway because he handed it to wife/kid. Now the shock part.

He ordered an iPad2 to my daughter (along with a case and he even got the iPad2 engraved with our/his last name "from.... to..... I guess total would be more than $550 for this 16GB unit, cover and engraving) from apple store and he says "It was my wife's idea and please do not get upset with me." [$%!@#$%^&* I am now not able to know where to hide my face and rocking my brains why he is bahaving this way. Guess what? I know where he lives in the Univ area he teaches but he is now on vacation in CA and I do not know even his address to send a thank you card.

I want to cancel this order but cannot becuase he made the order. My idea now is to keep quiet, let a card go to his Univ address, written by my daughter, and then after a couple of months send some Airline credit card to him, from an airline that flies from his city to CA because he flies regularly between those cities.

My fear: What if he sends the card back? Then I will be stuck with yet another credit/gift card that I cannot/do not want to use. He mentioned that he goes to Firestone for auto repairs. Should I send Firestone card? If he returns it, I will be stuck with the same dilemma. Opinions please?

The - Really mad now - Absolute(ly) - not able to choose what to do - Zero

May be he is compensating for the low assistantship he paid during your student days.

Although retired, he might still take students. Can you put in a word for me and recommend me as his grad student. Tell him, I also belong to the Quo Vadis Club.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:My theory: he saw your $2.99 shirt, Rs 299 pair of quo-vadis and that winter hat that covered your neck and was so moved by your state, he decided to take care of you financially. Soon you may discover that he's set up a college fund for your daughter as well.

LOL!!! prof. has a third world sympathy gene for taz.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:TAZ, give me the Sears cards... heard they going OOB soon. So might take advantage of some killer sales.

If you are not kidding, send me a note and we can see where we end up. I have about $310 on two cards. :-)

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:02 pm

None of these replies answers my actual question of what to do. :-(

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:25 pm

if it will assuage your conscience, make a year end donation for an equivalent amount for a charity of your choice.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:39 pm

absolute ,

forget ur losses

all i can do is marvel at this gem of a man .

.are u sure he didn't double up as head of the mafia during his hey days ?
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down