Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professor Gift Idea - Updated

4 posters

Go down

Professor Gift Idea - Updated Empty Professor Gift Idea - Updated

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks for all those responses. I bought a $400 Sears gift card he could use for auto repairs since he would need it in his city and as well as in CA. I met him Saturday and had lunch and dinner together with him and his wife. He took the retirement card but refused to even open the gift card packet I gave him. Whats more, he even paid for the food both times and refused to let me even open my wallet. At dinner time I went to the cashier in restaurant and told them to charge to my card but unfortunately, the card was returned and I was told "He already paid for it."

To rub salt into the wound, he even gave a gift to my family. I was aghast and could do nothing. I repeatedly argued with him to allow me to give the gift just "this one time." He and his wife both refused. I had good time with him and seeing the school where I went to, including the lab I worked. Even went to downtown and saw around. But let me say this. NEVER go to your school with your family again. One kid was constantly bothering me with drinks they wanted to buy (rather urgently for being thirsty in 60 def temp!), food they wanted to eat and nothing else. While I was there to recollect my memories, these three who came with me have no clue of anything except drinks, sight seeing and food. It is one mistake I made. Should have gone alone or gone with another classmate. I was like, see my old apartment, see my lab, meet someone and recall those memrories, even felt the urge to knock the old apt and see if any deshi lived there (usually rented only for deshis) and talk about student life.

Anycase came back last night after 7 hour drive. Old age is showing on the professor (he is 71) but he is still sharp and teaching. Wonder how I will be when I get to become his age. He talked about staying in USA or leaving for Taiwan. He said that he could get his Taiwanese citizenship back if he applies and the processing time? Just one hour!! He showed the pics of Taiwan. It looked as good as USA. Desh compares nowhere with this small Island. Frankly speaking, if Taiwan looks meticulously clean, India on comparision looks like a dirty toilet not cleaned in last 20 years.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Professor Gift Idea - Updated Empty Re: Professor Gift Idea - Updated

Post by chameli Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 am

absolute ,

nice to know

your professor is a generous person .forget about the gifts and all

you met up with him he felt happy ...so did u

i agree with u about keeping college ife spearate from the kids

they are not interested and it will make you angry

yeah sigh Taiwan ..the chinese as usual ..so much more efficient

like South Korea no corruption probably

India pales into insignificance

sigh
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:36 am

when i defended my thesis and and went out to lunch with my advisor before i left town, i gave him a simple gift, robert kanigel's "man who knew infinity" the biography of srinivasa ramanujan. we had discussed the book at various times and he had indicated that he might like to read it at some point of time. he loved it and told me later that he thoroughly enjoyed reading it. something simple like that with a personal message might do the trick rather than expensive gifts.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:48 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:when i defended my thesis and and went out to lunch with my advisor before i left town, i gave him a simple gift, robert kanigel's "man who knew infinity" the biography of srinivasa ramanujan. we had discussed the book at various times and he had indicated that he might like to read it at some point of time. he loved it and told me later that he thoroughly enjoyed reading it. something simple like that with a personal message might do the trick rather than expensive gifts.

He does not enjoy reading books. Does not watch TV. Does not go to movies. He does however travel a lot to see places. So my options are really a few.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:00 pm

a professor who doesn't enjoy reading books. what a novel idea!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:55 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:Thanks for all those responses. I bought a $400 Sears gift card he could use for auto repairs since he would need it in his city and as well as in CA. I met him Saturday and had lunch and dinner together with him and his wife. He took the retirement card but refused to even open the gift card packet I gave him. Whats more, he even paid for the food both times and refused to let me even open my wallet. At dinner time I went to the cashier in restaurant and told them to charge to my card but unfortunately, the card was returned and I was told "He already paid for it."

.................................................................................................................................................

Anycase came back last night after 7 hour drive. Old age is showing on the professor (he is 71) but he is still sharp and teaching. Wonder how I will be when I get to become his age. He talked about staying in USA or leaving for Taiwan. He said that he could get his Taiwanese citizenship back if he applies and the processing time? Just one hour!! He showed the pics of Taiwan. It looked as good as USA. Desh compares nowhere with this small Island. Frankly speaking, if Taiwan looks meticulously clean, India on comparision looks like a dirty toilet not cleaned in last 20 years.

>>>>> He probably thought the fact that you visited him was a nice gesture and was gift enough. Taiwan would probably love to have him back and with the pace at which some of the East Asian countries have transformed themselves, the transition back is not that difficult anymore.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down