Looks like code coolies will start moving back to India......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looks like code coolies will start moving back to India......

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:43 pm

......Trump seems to be hell bent on curbing H-1B visas........

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/life-and-careers/article-trump-plans-to-restrict-h-1b-visas-hyderabad-says-bring-it-on-1646570?pfrom=home-lateststories

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 5911
Join date : 2012-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looks like code coolies will start moving back to India......

Post by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:27 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/trump-and-sessions-plan-to-restrict-highly-skilled-foreign-workers-hyderabad-says-bring-it-on/2017/01/08/8701e0ca-d2c0-11e6-aa0c-f196d8ef0650_story.html?

Now that they're going to gut the H1B program I'm sure the GOP is more open to massively subsidize college Ed and job retraining programs to meet the new demand for tech workers.  NOT! That'll be too logical to qualify as a GOP policy.

MaxEntropy_Man

Posts : 13300
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looks like code coolies will start moving back to India......

Post by silvermani on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/trump-and-sessions-plan-to-restrict-highly-skilled-foreign-workers-hyderabad-says-bring-it-on/2017/01/08/8701e0ca-d2c0-11e6-aa0c-f196d8ef0650_story.html?

Now that they're going to gut the H1B program I'm sure the GOP is more open to massively subsidize college Ed and job retraining programs to meet the new demand for tech workers.  NOT! That'll be too logical to qualify as a GOP policy.
A college degree is not a necessity for being a tech worker. Now a days "coding boot camps" are gaining popularity among Americans. There are training outfits which given intensive 10-12 week training to candidates with non computer science backgrounds who pass an aptitude test conducted by the trainer. And they even provide placement assistance. My employer(an American company) recently hired one such candidate and even provided him relocation assistance. 
All that being said, I think the subsidy and subservience of indentured H1bs cannot be beat and American corporations won't let go of this option so easily. They might stop hiring locally altogether and just plan entire projects with offshore labor.

silvermani

Posts : 567
Join date : 2014-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looks like code coolies will start moving back to India......

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:44 am

silvermani wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/trump-and-sessions-plan-to-restrict-highly-skilled-foreign-workers-hyderabad-says-bring-it-on/2017/01/08/8701e0ca-d2c0-11e6-aa0c-f196d8ef0650_story.html?

Now that they're going to gut the H1B program I'm sure the GOP is more open to massively subsidize college Ed and job retraining programs to meet the new demand for tech workers.  NOT! That'll be too logical to qualify as a GOP policy.
A college degree is not a necessity for being a tech worker. Now a days "coding boot camps" are gaining popularity among Americans. There are training outfits which given intensive 10-12 week training to candidates with non computer science backgrounds who pass an aptitude test conducted by the trainer. And they even provide placement assistance. My employer(an American company) recently hired one such candidate and even provided him relocation assistance. 
All that being said, I think the subsidy and subservience of indentured H1bs cannot be beat and American corporations won't let go of this option so easily. They might stop hiring locally altogether and just plan entire projects with offshore labor.

Wow..you're employed by an *American* company? That's just awesome. Congratulations!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-06/want-a-job-in-silicon-valley-keep-away-from-coding-schools

Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4981
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looks like code coolies will start moving back to India......

Post by Hellsangel on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:50 am

Why do 'Indian' companies find the need for a Caucasian on their  board of directors?

Hellsangel

Posts : 13702
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looks like code coolies will start moving back to India......

Post by silvermani on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
silvermani wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/trump-and-sessions-plan-to-restrict-highly-skilled-foreign-workers-hyderabad-says-bring-it-on/2017/01/08/8701e0ca-d2c0-11e6-aa0c-f196d8ef0650_story.html?

Now that they're going to gut the H1B program I'm sure the GOP is more open to massively subsidize college Ed and job retraining programs to meet the new demand for tech workers.  NOT! That'll be too logical to qualify as a GOP policy.
A college degree is not a necessity for being a tech worker. Now a days "coding boot camps" are gaining popularity among Americans. There are training outfits which given intensive 10-12 week training to candidates with non computer science backgrounds who pass an aptitude test conducted by the trainer. And they even provide placement assistance. My employer(an American company) recently hired one such candidate and even provided him relocation assistance. 
All that being said, I think the subsidy and subservience of indentured H1bs cannot be beat and American corporations won't let go of this option so easily. They might stop hiring locally altogether and just plan entire projects with offshore labor.

Wow..you're employed by an *American* company? That's just awesome. Congratulations!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-06/want-a-job-in-silicon-valley-keep-away-from-coding-schools

What a shock that you are not too pleased with Americans finding short cuts that can short circuit desi bhadwa agencies, one of which is your employer!

silvermani

Posts : 567
Join date : 2014-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looks like code coolies will start moving back to India......

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:56 am

silvermani wrote:What a shock that you are not too pleased with Americans finding short cuts that can short circuit desi bhadwa agencies, one of which is your employer!

I don't have any first hand knowledge of coding bootcamps to be pleased or displeased with them. I just saw your glowing testimonial based on your *American* employer's experiences and that reminded me of that article I had read a few days ago.

Btw did your *American* employer sponsor your H1B when you first came off the boat?

Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4981
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looks like code coolies will start moving back to India......

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:26 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum