Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mini Musings..

5 posters

Go down

Mini Musings.. Empty Mini Musings..

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:39 pm

National BCS Football Championship game..last night:

So much anticipation..but, The complete collapse of LSU was pathetic to watch..was the most boring one-sided College Championship game in any College sports (that I have watched!)

Roll TideMini Musings.. 459784477

NRIs can vote now:

Good news for those who have been waiting..hope there are not too many voting irregularities.

New Hampshire Republican Primary:

Like a kid want to say.."are we there yet ?" Unless there is something like one of those rare Tebow moments (when the heavens open up - or for non believers..those "ha! nothing but simple coincidences when something happens" moments!)..got to watch the victory speech from Romney. Just hope he does not recite the lines in "America the beautiful" - over and over and over again..it's kind of annoying, imo. And if there is a miracle (well, it can happen!) just hope Huntsman does not blow it by reciting poetry in Mandarin!

Finally..it's been an okay day..will take a break- force myself to drink some tea..and carry on! And hope your day is going well.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Mini Musings.. Empty Re: Mini Musings..

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Seems like there are hardly any responses in most threads from the regulars. Is it because of the chat?
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:15 pm

The silence is strange.

I don't partcipate in private chats, so it's kind of challenging here!

And I am trying to understand the environment here..some kind of acknowledgment- simple pleasantaries, a like/dislike button..would made lively! It's not easy to spend time in silence in a public forum!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Good Morning, Maria!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:28 pm

Good afternoon Angel!

Appreciate the monumental effort:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:34 pm

chat is kind of killing the forum.

Now at least Mulai man and Rashmun are posting some things these days. Just before the break this place was dead.

I saw your post and immediately thought that the word 'musings' has become commonplace because of blogging.

PS: Didn't watch BCS. Don't care about NRIs being able to vote. only mildly interested in GOP primary.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Maria S wrote:Seems like there are hardly any responses in most threads from the regulars. Is it because of the chat?
Chat certainly sucks the oxygen out of the forum. I tried a while ago to implement a like button (like Facebook.) That is the + / - you see next to each post. But this site doesn't give me much flexibility in implementing features like that, and the + / - feature is not very useful as it exists.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Maria S wrote:Just hope he does not recite the lines in "America the beautiful" - over and over and over again..it's kind of annoying, imo.
Haha!

Maria S wrote:And if there is a miracle (well, it can happen!) just hope Huntsman does not blow it by reciting poetry in Mandarin!
I would love to see a Huntsman miracle. Don't think it will happen though.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:50 pm

DM,

Thank you! ("If you know me by now"- you know have to put up with my ways..the endless GMs and thank yous which are part of the deal:)

Seriously, it must be obvious that I came to this forum and am part of any forum..just for the pleasant interactions with folks like you- I genuinely like, and kind of know it's mutual:)

Oh, thought you and some others are into College/Univ FB..but, if the topics (excuses really- to kindle some conversation) were boring, sorry!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Oh, I missed this part of your post, Maria: NRIs can vote now! That's a big exciting development for me. I will call the consulate tomorrow to find out details! I thought GoI would never let this happen, but I guess the NRI lobby is strong enough now.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm

how could I forget Ms. Whitney's absence here in the forum/chat.

That also explains the lack of responses or posts.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Maria S wrote:Good afternoon Angel!

Appreciate the monumental effort:)
Thank you, Maria!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Thank you Carvaka!

I am sure there are others who enjoy private chats..I just don't! Just a personal preference- and I already spend too much time on line!

You have invested so much time and effort in creating this forum for people who post for free like me (!), can't expect/demand anything from you!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Angel Smile!

Thanks to Tracy..I can decode your acknowledgments.

Hope Tracy is doing okay (not sure- why she is not posting).
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Carvaka,

Here is the news link:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/nris-to-get-voting-rights-diaspora-has-much-more-to-contribute-says-prime-minister-164754
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:58 pm

I am not sur eif this is a great idea for NRIs to vote when you are so far away from the reality of day-to-day life.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:02 pm

artood2 wrote:I am not sur eif this is a great idea for NRIs to vote when you are so far away from the reality of day-to-day life.
I pay taxes in India, and I am pretty well informed about the political developments back home. So I think it is only fair I should have representation too.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:03 pm

Hello Artood!

I think that at least NRIs now have the right, and option to vote, if they want to.

Hope that Indians will not take this right lightly- and do their research as much as possible, before casting their votes.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:05 pm

charvaka wrote:
artood2 wrote:I am not sur eif this is a great idea for NRIs to vote when you are so far away from the reality of day-to-day life.
I pay taxes in India, and I am pretty well informed about the political developments back home. So I think it is only fair I should have representation too.

people's reflection of india is limited to what happened in the last visit there. The realities of day-to-day life is lost on us. in general, i think it is more of a feel good thing.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Tax paying does not necessiate voting right. voting right is solely a citizen right. As long as one is a citizen it is good to have that right. I did not go through the details so am not sure if they will allow overseas voting. People in India who travel during elections do not have the same rights.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Maria S wrote:Hello Artood!

I think that at least NRIs now have the right, and option to vote, if they want to.

Hope that Indians will not take this right lightly- and do their research as much as possible, before casting their votes.

Hi Maria,

Right is fine. I think importance of issues is often lost if you have been away for long.

-r2d2
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:15 pm

artood2 wrote:Tax paying does not necessiate voting right. voting right is solely a citizen right. As long as one is a citizen it is good to have that right. I did not go through the details so am not sure if they will allow overseas voting. People in India who travel during elections do not have the same rights.
I am of course a citizen of Indian, and that is why expect to be able to vote, regardless of where in the world I happen to be when it is time to vote. We need an absentee voting mechanism for citizens who are traveling, either within India or overseas. AFAIK, even Indian soldiers can't vote when they are on duty elsewhere.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:16 pm

charvaka wrote:
artood2 wrote:Tax paying does not necessiate voting right. voting right is solely a citizen right. As long as one is a citizen it is good to have that right. I did not go through the details so am not sure if they will allow overseas voting. People in India who travel during elections do not have the same rights.
I am of course a citizen of Indian, and that is why expect to be able to vote, regardless of where in the world I happen to be when it is time to vote. We need an absentee voting mechanism for citizens who are traveling, either within India or overseas. AFAIK, even Indian soldiers can't vote when they are on duty elsewhere.

even the polling officer cannot vote.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Romney takes NH.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:24 pm

artood2 wrote:Romney takes NH.
They already called it for Romney? I hope Huntsman breaks 20%, but may be not.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Predictable..feels like the inevitable.

Watched part of Ron Paul's speech..entertaining and he makes sense to a certain point..after that he drifts away!

The good thing is..it reminds people that age is no barrier for admiration..looking at the age groups of his admirers..think babies who are not born yet- can join the campaign if me and my peers are alive and can run for some little office at his age:)

I see Huntsman is talking.

GN everyone!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down