Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Republican Primary in S.C

+3
charvaka
MaxEntropy_Man
Maria S
7 posters

Go down

Republican Primary in S.C Empty Republican Primary in S.C

Post by Maria S Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:19 am

Looks like it there may be a few changes afterall..with all the political news today- making it a little more suspenseful (used up "interesting" for today!)..

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/19/breaking-perry-to-drop-out-thursday/?hpt=hp_t1

*Santorum wins the Iowa recount (feels like he is poor Mr. Gore though..may be it's too late)

*Perry leaves the race..Sad ..

*Ex. Mrs. Gingrich- 2 ..talks about sexy Newt wanting an open marriage..

*Romney releasing his tax returns (maybe, could be, likely as he says)..such a hypocrite paying at the 15% rate..while many of us can't find so many loop holes..

Will watch the debate this evening!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Republican Primary in S.C Empty Re: Republican Primary in S.C

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:06 pm

i love what's happening in the republican primaries. that's what happens when your choices are between hypocrites, idiots, and religious nut jobs and you kick the one sane guy to the curb and he drops out.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Max, I agree Smile!

At least..the next few days- politically speaking, will not be dull.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Maria S wrote:Max, I agree Smile!

At least..the next few days- politically speaking, will not be dull.
As an Obama supporter, I couldn't have asked for a better nominating process at least in the early states. I was hoping the clusterfuck (to use Jon Stewart's apt description) would continue for a few more weeks thanks to the new proportional delegate allotment rules. Now all the comedians (and the one serious good candidate) have left the race. I guess we will have to count on the two sincere candidates (Paul and Santorum) for jokes here on out.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Sure Carvaka.

Can't make up the comedy and drama (spicing it up with sex- thanks to Mrs. Newt2 who is making sure that's part of it now)..which is unfolding today!

I can't use the word like..but, I do think Santorum is at least not a complete hypocrite and can be a serious candidate..and too bad he was robbed of the win- benefits of winning in Iowa (just due to apparent human errors in counting, don't think it was rigged).
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Maria S wrote:I can't use the word like..but, I do think Santorum is at least not a complete hypocrite and can be a serious candidate..and too bad he was robbed of the win- benefits of winning in Iowa (just due to apparent human errors in counting, don't think it was rigged).
God clearly doesn't want him to win. Why doesn't he take the hint? I am kidding, but I do wonder how someone who wears his religion on his sleeve like he does squares events like this. Is he thinking, "god is testing me"?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i love what's happening in the republican primaries. that's what happens when your choices are between hypocrites, idiots, and religious nut jobs and you kick the one sane guy to the curb and he drops out.

not that much better on the dem side with one lame duck prez that promised "change", didnt deliver shit, is mobbed up with banks, and has no achievements to date after 3 years in power other than capturing bin laden.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Smile

I can't speak for Santorum (I have not heard him say God directly speaks to him..like Bush and others used to say!)

But, since we are discussing this..if I may, the psyche of a believer is obviously different (and I will include me in that part of it!)..can somewhat relate to the feelings of being constantly tested, pray and we somehow accept whatever the results may be..are we disillusioned at times? Absolutely..but, we also return to the core belief that there is something greater than ourselves..guiding us.

*Will I vote for him? NO.

And I completely disagree with him on women's reproductive rights..am pro-choice in the first two trimesters..but, I have empathy for parents who have lost children, have children with disabilities like Santorum..and are/become hard core against terminations..and know clinging to faith comforts them and helps them to cope with life.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Maria S wrote:Sure Carvaka.

Can't make up the comedy and drama (spicing it up with sex- thanks to Mrs. Newt2 who is making sure that's part of it now)..which is unfolding today!

I can't use the word like..but, I do think Santorum is at least not a complete hypocrite and can be a serious candidate..and too bad he was robbed of the win- benefits of winning in Iowa (just due to apparent human errors in counting, don't think it was rigged).

That is irrelevant. both of them get 25% of the delegates. so win does not amtter.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:11 pm

artood2 wrote:

That is irrelevant. both of them get 25% of the delegates. so win does not amtter.
The Iowa caucuses were not for awarding delegates anyway. I heard the delegates would be awarded at a state convention in spring / early summer. The value is all promotional -- if the headline out of Iowa was "Santorum wins," Romney's momentum would have been a lot less today.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:15 pm

charvaka wrote:
artood2 wrote:

The Iowa caucuses were not for awarding delegates anyway. I heard the delegates would be awarded at a state convention in spring / early summer. The value is all promotional -- if the headline out of Iowa was "Santorum wins," Romney's momentum would have been a lot less today.

yes it is done at a state convention but as the process is defined it will roughly entitle them 25% of the delegates each. Yes the value is promotional and I think it is stupid to drop out too early based on Iowa s Carolina. If you have the money and a good base you should continue. you may catch wind at the right time.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:26 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i love what's happening in the republican primaries. that's what happens when your choices are between hypocrites, idiots, and religious nut jobs and you kick the one sane guy to the curb and he drops out.

I demand that our great leader Palin enter the race.

NOW

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:32 pm

In politics- so much is about appearances and psychological perceptions..seen as winners and losers.

If Santorum would have been declared and seen as a winner- on the national scene, that would have had different perceptions.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:19 am

The debate last night in S. Carolina was quite entertaining (as expected).

Funny to see how the audience reacted to the Newt's - fiery reactions to the question about his ex ..apparently Nikki Haley's alleged affairs..made her get a lot of sympathy and soar in the polls. Although he went after Mr. Clinton and was a hypocrite, they did work and accomplish some things together, and he was not the force behind the effort to dethrone Pres. Clinton...they actually share some things in common.

But, wonder why Romney looks so awkward and stumbles when asked about tax returns..the nervous laughter does not help, wonder why he was not better prepared for such a predictable question.

Rick Santorum seems to be coming into his own as a debater, perhaps it's too late.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:45 am

if i agreed with his politics, which i don't (other than foreign policy), i'd vote for ron paul. i like his unbending stances based on conviction.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:06 pm

He certainly has conviction and I too like his stances when it comes to some matters..but, is a little detached from reality, when it comes to Health Care in this country.

For a doctor, in one of the debates, when Blitzer asked him about a hypothetical scenario (which is reality is a common scenario), how he would deal with a 30-yr old uninsured man, by choice ends up in a hospital in a coma..who will pay for it..he came up with some something about freedom and taking risks, Churches helping in the good old days was strange.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20105190-503544.html

It may be politically right to talk about freedom, but in reality without regulations and laws..this country would be in bigger mess- than it already is, imo.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:19 pm

yes maria -- i watched that debate and was revolted by some people in the audience saying "yes" to the question of turning someone who is about to die, away. easy to say yes except when it hits home. one would have to be mentally ill to say yes to a question like that. there's something perverse about a developed country not making health care a basic human right. i firmly believe in that and for that reason can never call myself a republican even though i do buy into the ideas of reducing the size of government and making it more efficient.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks Max, for agreeing with me on this one!

I agree with everything you say in your post too.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:12 am

It was about time.

Catholic Leaders Call On Gingrich And Santorum To ‘Stop Perpetuating Ugly Racial Stereotypes’ about Poverty:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/01/20/408144/catholic-leaders-call-on-gingrich-and-santorum-to-stop-perpetuating-ugly-racial-stereotypes-about-poverty/
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Using code words was common in politics.

States rights - South has a right to restrict coloured people and mistreat them.

Individual responsibility - Coloured are lazy and do not take work hard enough to develop their own future.

Welfare queen, food stamps are more direct code words

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Maria S wrote:It was about time.

Catholic Leaders Call On Gingrich And Santorum To ‘Stop Perpetuating Ugly Racial Stereotypes’ about Poverty:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/01/20/408144/catholic-leaders-call-on-gingrich-and-santorum-to-stop-perpetuating-ugly-racial-stereotypes-about-poverty/

I think Nutty with his loose canon wil shoot himself many times over once he is nominated.

Why is it that it is always a democratic presidents who is the ALL-FAMILY, and once married men?

Kennedy, carter, Clinton, Obama.....isn't it funny?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:55 am

Yes, and funny..how big PAC money does not seem to be overwhelming the masses..while simple one-on-one open debates and simple messages seem to work.

Although what Newt says and does is a little disturbing (a little Marlon Brandoish!), he has certainly..grabbed the stage and made it fascinating to watch- all this unfold!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Wonder how this may or may not affect the political future of Nikki Haley.

I wonder why she did not show up and stand next to Mitt Romney last night- when things did not go well, it's always revealing to see who stands by someone when things are not going well.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71777.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down