Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey Tomato

3 posters

Go down

Jersey Tomato Empty Jersey Tomato

Post by Guest Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:51 am

ya well, I don't exactly know if it's a thing (google it). But XH and I were driving home, and saw the signs of tomatoes and eggs, and since I needed to cook at home and we were out of groceries at home, I was like - let's just take tomatoes from here and we will have dinner tonight. XH wanted to check out their eggs, so he turned the car into the farm. Well, they had run out of eggs. They also had sweet corn and onions, but we went straight to tomatoes, and we see these big boys laid out on a table  (my hands are larger than usual for a desi aunty btw):

Jersey Tomato ZkJQanV

I was like whoa what did they do to make them so big. And I automatically doubted their taste, coz I thought they used artificial means to increase their size, so they have to be tasteless. @ $2/lb, we picked up 3 for $5. Since I never remember the prices, XH said it's at par with superstore rates. Came home and made potato curry. Once I ran the tomato in my food processor, so much pulp came out that it was enough to make the gravy for 4 big potatoes (no onions)! And the taste, omg the taste. I don't remember the last time I had such tomato taste. Just the right kind of ... dunno how to explain it... but just the right kind of tomato taste? And so very fresh! I had to adjust masalas in it to make it taste like a desi sabzi. And I instantly began dreaming of making pasta with the other 2 I have in my fridge.

Anyhoos, god knows what is Jersey tomatoes, but I am so gonna venture more into buying from farms. Feels like we missed out on a lot over the years.

Back to top Go down

Jersey Tomato Empty Re: Jersey Tomato

Post by smArtha Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:41 pm

I don't know about the jumbo sized variants but Jersey Tomatoes do taste good. Almost like the tomatoes we got back home in the 80s. My simple test to verify  quality of tomatoes is to make split moong dal with just tomatoes and tadka (jeera, peppercorn crushed, ginger sliced and kari patta with pinch of turmeric) for seasoning (no garlic or onions). If it tastes heavenly devoid of any dominating spices/masala then you got good tomatoes.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Jersey tomato? Are they available on the West coast?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:53 pm

good idea @ split moong daal with tomatoes. will make it tonight!

Sandilya, I dunno much about jersey tomatoes accept that's what I see written on the farms here in NJ (I live in sorta rural area, although sadly it's soon changing into more and more suburban as most farmers are selling out). I do know our local shoprite keeps jersey tomatoes or farm tomatoes during season, but I have never had them so good before. From what I read, they are close in taste to beefstock tomatoes, or whatever they call slicer tomatoes (for sandwiches), but I am also reading the seeds in tomatoes found here are slightly different, hence different taste and are much juicier. I will find out more and update here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:05 pm

t w wrote:good idea @ split moong daal with tomatoes. will make it tonight!

Sandilya, I dunno much about jersey tomatoes accept that's what I see written on the farms here in NJ (I live in sorta rural area, although sadly it's soon changing into more and more suburban as most farmers are selling out). I do know our local shoprite keeps jersey tomatoes or farm tomatoes during season, but I have never had them so good before. From what I read, they are close in taste to beefstock Beefsteaks tomatoes, or whatever they call slicer tomatoes (for sandwiches), but I am also reading the seeds in tomatoes found here are slightly different, hence different taste and are much juicier. I will find out more and update here.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Sandilya, I dunno much about jersey tomatoes accept that's what I see written on the farms here in NJ (I live in sorta rural area, although sadly it's soon changing into more and more suburban as most farmers are selling out). I do know our local shoprite keeps jersey tomatoes or farm tomatoes during season, but I have never had them so good before. From what I read, they are close in taste to beefstock tomatoes, or whatever they call slicer tomatoes (for sandwiches), but I am also reading the seeds in tomatoes found here are slightly different, hence different taste and are much juicier. I will find out more and update here.
cryptics expert? sure lol!!!

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 pm

Thanks. May be, they are local to NJ. We buy different heirloom tomatoes from local growers. Some are good for tomato "pacchadi" and others, for moong daal "pappu" or "rasam".......

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down