Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pakistani hero charged with treason. very sad

4 posters

Go down

pakistani hero charged with treason. very sad Empty pakistani hero charged with treason. very sad

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:00 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/28/world/asia/pakistan-panetta/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

pakistani hero charged with treason. very sad Empty Re: pakistani hero charged with treason. very sad

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Panetta said Pakistan can discipline Afridi in whatever manner it deems appropriate but the doctor should be released.

===> That is what they are doing now. What is Panetta thinking?

The Pakistanis deemed an appropriate way to discipline this man is to put him behind bars.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

pakistani hero charged with treason. very sad Empty Re: pakistani hero charged with treason. very sad

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:48 pm

====> If Pannetta is a man of integrity, he would have ordered the release of Private Manning and drop all charges against him.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:53 pm

As Sara says, don't see any reason for Panetta to give interviews about this doctor on TV. They don't have to highlight his role in the operations and be low key about it- if they want to protect and help him. They can always use quiet influence over Pakistani forces (as they always do)..and negotiate some deal to help him, (which they may be doing), which will not be surprising to anyone.

*While I can obviously understand what he did/why he did it..from the Medical Ethics perspective- there is a always a conflict between what a doctor does to collect patient samples/use patients - "WITHOUT explicit INFORMED consent"..as a part of some govt.operation/national interest..or simply for research purposes. You are really using the sacred trust of a patient-manipulate them in ways they don't expect you to do. However- as in this case..it is always explained and justified as "being patriotic- saving lives". Every Doctor knows the consequences of what can happen when they don't disclose what they are doing with "samples/data" collected, when they become involved and take on the role of an active- secret informant of the Govt (s), and has to be willing to face whatever comes, imo- am sure this doctor knew the risks very well.

*On a different note- if you want to..you can always join Facebook or Twitter under a screen name and participate. I joined Fb- for ONLY for general interactions/read general stuff as in Sulekha and other places- don't see the need to be on line to reveal anything- share anything personal. It's working out! People respect my privacy- and I certainly respect theirs.

Last edited by Maria S on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:56 pm

he weighed the risks of violating privacy issues versus saving the lives of thousands of innocent people.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:05 pm

I am sure he did- and it's easily understandable in this case. In other cases, it may not be.

(Added some stuff about joining Fb in my previous post)- you really can read a lot of direct stuff from people who are in the news stories/items without layers in between.

Last edited by Maria S on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a line)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Maria S wrote:As Sara says, don't see any reason for Panetta to give interviews about this doctor on TV. They don't have to highlight his role in the operations and be low key about it- if they want to protect and help him. They can always use quiet influence over Pakistani forces (as they always do)..and negotiate some deal to help him, (which they may be doing), which will not be surprising to anyone.

*While I can obviously understand what he did/why he did it..from the Medical Ethics perspective- there is a always a conflict between what a doctor does to collect patient samples/use patients - "WITHOUT explicit INFORMED consent"..as a part of some govt.operation/national interest..or simply for research purposes. You are really using the sacred trust of a patient-manipulate them in ways they don't expect you to do.
[i]

Really??? In India and PakiSatan???? patients simply do what the docs say.... If ever a patient talks about right and rights, he/she will be thrown out within the hour.

P.S. this applies only to the vast majority of unconnected and not greatly educated.

BTW, Panetta, a liberal with a good heart, as a congressman used to be somewhat of a loose canon.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:41 pm

There used to be a time- when whatever a Doctor said or did was accepted with no questions in India. Not anymore- many are quite skeptical and wary about what doctors say and do (and with good reason in some cases) and put up with it..only when they have to. You know that:)

And you also know- The Americans Govt is often seen as using people in other countries, and dumping them as soon as they are done- and sometimes they do have a loose tongue..and boast about it too! While the Chinese..do all kinds of stuff- but do it with lips locked:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:49 pm

Maria S wrote:There used to be a time- when whatever a Doctor said or did was accepted with no questions in India. Not anymore- many are quite skeptical and wary about what doctors say and do (and with good reason in some cases) and put up with it..only when they have to. You know that:)

I knew you would say this. That is why I put the disclaimer. What you say only applies to the educated, moneyed, and anyone the doctor "fears" or respects. Not the common man. They are still refused admission and have to deliver babies on the streets.

And you also know- The Americans Govt is often seen as using people in other countries, and dumping them as soon as they are done- and sometimes they do have a loose tongue..and boast about it too! While the Chinese..do all kinds of stuff- but do it with lips locked:)

You mean the doctors don't tell the patients/guinea pigs? You mean the docs in India/pakisatan don't respect the doc-patient confidence? That is exactly what I said in my earlier post.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Oops..Saamiyar it is..said Sara by mistake;)

Yes, that is part of what I meant.

*I think Max's post is really about his concern for what may happen to this doctor (he can correct me if I am wrong).

*My responses are about looking at the bigger picture and a few other other angles (Medical ethics- patient/doctor confidentiality- how one govt can use a doctor in other country to collect data-info, Trust in the American govt- and people like this doctor helping them) all with good intentions.

Alright..will carry on with my Sat schedule.

Have a good day!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down