Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman

Go down

H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman Empty H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:20 am

Festival has origin in city's composite culture
TNN May 13, 2009, 06.52am IST
LUCKNOW: The festival owes its origin to Lucknow's Ganga-Jamuni tehzeeb. It is said that Janab-e-Aalia, the second wife of Nawab Shuja-ud-Daula, got the old Aliganj Hanuman temple constructed. History says that she dreamt of Lord Hanuman who ordered her to get a temple constructed. Based on her dream she ordered quarrying of the area she saw in the dream. The idol was found after which it was transported on the back of an elephant to the city. The elephant, however, did not step forward after a point (the place where the temple is situated). Therefore, it was decided that the temple be constructed at this place. Since then, Bada Mangal is celebrated with festive gaiety in the city to mark the belief of the Muslim begum over the deity.

Naming her son as Mirza Mangloo after the deity, though later he was known as Nawab Saadat Ali Khan, Begum Aalia started the tradition of an annual fair which continues till date. As time passed by, the fair became a symbol of Hindu-Muslim congeniality. The tolerant fabric exists even today. Muslims too contribute wholeheartedly in making arrangements for the Bada Mangal.

Bada Mangal is special for devotees too. "It is said that Lord Hanuman blesses all those who offer him prayers and prasad during Bada Mangal. Members of the family, especially the eldest son and daughter should pay a visit to the deity. In case that is not possible, at least the head of the family should bow his head before Lord Hanuman," said Sri Ram Shukla, priest in a prominent Hanuman temple in the city.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2009-05-13/lucknow/28188578_1_bada-mangal-aliganj-hanuman-temple-prayers-and-prasad

Back to top Go down

H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman Empty Re: H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:28 am

Lucknow: Hum Ishq Key Bandey Hain/Mazhab Sey Nahi Waqif --- Gar Kaba Hua tou Kya/Butkhana Hua tou Kya. Justifying the spirit of above couplet penned by Nawab of Awadh, Wajid Ali Shah, the Muslim community of Lucknow extended a helping hand in organising water stalls to mark Bada Mangal festivities on Tuesday.

As per the traditions, Muslims had set up water stalls at prominent places in the city while they also queued up to have prasad and cold drink from various stalls in the city. Lucknow celebrates Bada Mangal as a reverence to Lord Hanuman wherein people from all walks of life set up stalls offering water, cold drink and sweets to the denizens. The trend continues for all the four Tuesdays in the month of Jyestha in Hindu calendar.

Praising the ganga-jamuni tehzeeb of Lucknow, historian Roshan Taqui opined that Muslims and Hindus have always been in forefront in celebrating and extending a helping hand in each other's festivities. The Nawabs of Awadh gave land and finances to build temples while Hindus participated in the mourning during the month of Muharram. "The most visible example is the Purana Hanuman Mandir in Aliganj. A crescent over its dome symbolises Hindu-Muslim unity," he said. It is believed that the temple was built after the mother of Nawab Saadat Ali Khan, Janab-e- Alia had a dream for its construction and devoting it to Lord Hanuman. Later she fulfilled her dream and the temple came into existence. "Still today we can find Muslims putting up stalls of flowers used for offerings outside various temples of the city," said Taqui. The Hanuman Setu Mandir is a living example where Muslims students of Lucknow University also frequent it along with their students. "I still follow it which I had developed during my student days at LU. Visiting Hanuman Temple on Tuesday is a routine for me and I did this even this Tuesday," said a former student Faheem Ahmed Siddiqui.

Over the tradition of water stalls, Hindus also do not lag behind. The stalls, which are akin to sabeels put up during the month of Muharram, do not discriminate between any religion. Hindus also set up sabeels during Muharram to offer their reverence for Imam Hussain. "We support the water stalls on Bada Mangal and our Hindu brethren put up sabeels during Muharram. It is the spirit and tradition of Lucknow. There is no religious discrimination. Our religion also stresses on offering water to the thirsty," remarked spokesperson, All India Shia Personal Law Board (AISPLB), Maulana Yasoob Abbas. Abbas, who is a regular contributor in organising these water stalls, even inaugurated one last year. However, he could not accomplish this time. "It was an occasion of Yaume Wiladat of Prophet's daughter and we were busy in the functions. My greetings and best wishes are there for everyone who offered water to the thirsty," said Abbas.

http://twocircles.net/2011may25/muslims_put_water_stalls_during_lord_hanuman_puja.html

Back to top Go down

H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman Empty Re: H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:33 am

May 25, 2011, 05.52pm IST
LUCKNOW: Devotees thronged the Hanuman temples on Bada Mangal on Tuesday. They waited patiently in queues to seek the Lord's blessings. Temples reverberated with bhajans since early morning. "Bada Mangal reflects city's tradition of benevolence. There will be no dearth of food for poor on these days," said a devotee Madhukar Verma.

Bada Mangal is a symbol of Hindu-Muslim unity. The tradition owes its origin to Janab-e-Aalia, second wife of Nawab Shuja-ud-Daula, who got the old Aliganj Hanuman temple constructed. "Lord Hanuman appeared in her dream and ordered her to get a temple constructed. Based on the dream, quarrying was undertaken at the spot and an idol of Lord Hanuman was found. The idol, placed on an elephant's back, was brought to the city. The elephant, however, didn't step forward after a point where the temple building was raised," Ajay Sharma, a sweet seller near Aliganj temple, shared the legend. The temple was far from the city centre. So, the Nawab's administration ordered organizing a fair to draw people. Tuesdays in the Hindu month of Jeshtha were chosen for the fair and kiosks serving juice and eatables were set up by the locals. The tradition continues till date.

Another tradition which has survived is that of offering 'shaashtang pranaam' to Lord Hanuman. "People follow this ritual to thank the deity for fulfilling their wish," said Radhey Sharma, a volunteer at the Hanuman Setu temple. "I have never seen such enthusiasm in any other city," Alankrita T Srinivas, a native of Tamil Nadu, said.

The Nawabs of Avadh nurtured the tradition. During the reign of Nawab Asaf-ud-Daula, killing of monkeys was a cognizable offence. An anecdote reveals that a person was awarded death penalty for opening fire at a monkey. Muslims too contribute whole-heartedly in making arrangements for Bada Mangal. Siraj and Ahmed are among the Muslim sevaks who enthusiastically participate in making preparations for Bada Mangal.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-05-25/lucknow/29580886_1_bada-mangal-hanuman-setu-temple-devotees-queue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 am

I just finished reading my Hanuman book. My Chinese astrological sign is the year of the monkey, and I love monkeys of all sorts. In Ubud, Bali, I visited the Monkey Forest, where I met these 3 cuties eating fresh fruits and all raw foods: leaves and fruits.

Hanuman, the white monkey, is sometimes represented in blue, as at this Hindu temple in Singapore.

The film Avatar, which I loved, made me ponder if the beings on Pandora were related to Hanuman. The blue monkeys were connected to all of nature, had respect for all life forms, and listened to their ancestors. For me, Pandora was a beautiful representation of Eastern culture evolved from Hindu and Buddhist religions.

Hanuman embodies virtue, bravery, wisdom, knowledge, mercy, power, humility, and all that’s good including good health, modesty, altruistic deeds, and overall positive energy. A reminder that one way to feel happier is by eating more raw food, thinking positive thoughts, continuing to grow and acquire knowledge, practicing humility, and making time to give back to our communities and to help others.

H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman Hanuman1

http://aniphyo.com/blog/hanuman-the-white-monkey/

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:29 am

Rashmun wrote:In Ubud, Bali, I visited the Monkey Forest, where I met these 3 cuties eating fresh fruits and all raw foods: leaves and fruits.
Not much of a forest, but a nice place nevertheless. For the record, Monkey Forest Road isn't much of a road either.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:33 am

H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman Pbaac038_hanuman_bring_sanjeevani

H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman Hanuman-brings-gandhamadan-parvat-to-revive-lakshmana-CH50_l

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 am

H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman 95-%20(14)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:46 am

H-M synthesis:Bada Mangal and Lord Hanuman 95-%20(16)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:07 am

This thread covers Uttar Pradesh. I shall attempt to give one example from each Indian state.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down