Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

interesting take by a patel presumably a gujarati on how he sees the north vs south divide

2 posters

Go down

interesting take by a patel presumably a gujarati on how he sees the north vs south divide Empty interesting take by a patel presumably a gujarati on how he sees the north vs south divide

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:59 pm

interesting take.

i don't agree with all of it and he is self contradicting at times, but still interesting read.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

interesting take by a patel presumably a gujarati on how he sees the north vs south divide Empty Re: interesting take by a patel presumably a gujarati on how he sees the north vs south divide

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:46 pm

i found the article to be extremely superficial. For instance only a superficial person would write the following:

To my mind, the south’s urban culture is more intellectual. My
hypothesis is that this is so because its culture is dominated by the
Brahmin. I like keeping the company of Brahmins, I must admit.
When I
listen to intelligent conversation in Bangalore and look around the
table, they dominate. People like U.R. Ananthamurthy would not be
treasured in another culture as they are in Bangalore. It seems to me
that civic life here is more intellectual, and certainly it strives to
be more intellectual than in Gujarat or Maharashtra.

----
and the following comparison is not NI vs SI but Gujaratis and Marwaris of Malabar Hills vs SI brahmins (if you exclude the wild claim about Baniyas vs SI brahmins) :

The third thing is southern tolerance. Unlike the Baniya’s, the southern
Brahmin’s vegetarianism isn’t oppressive. The intolerant and insular
Gujaratis and Marwaris of Malabar Hill (writer Bachi Karkaria called
them the Malabar Hill Tribes) have banished all meat from their
neighbourhoods.

----
This rambling article, full of errors, is an an insult to one's intelligence.

Back to top Go down

interesting take by a patel presumably a gujarati on how he sees the north vs south divide Empty Re: interesting take by a patel presumably a gujarati on how he sees the north vs south divide

Post by chameli Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:53 pm

poorly written for one ..

he lives in the south probably has an SI girlfriend he is trying to please or the chennai mafia is on his case

didnt get the part where he writes how SIs appreciate music ..clicking lips together etc ?

he he funny
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:55 pm

The fifth observation is the commonly found ability of south Indians to
speak another (southern) state’s language. This comes from proximity
more than from any pressing desire to be multicultural. But it shows the
southerner’s openness...

--> i lived in bangalore for several years myself and interacted with the locals (auto walahs, fruit sellers, small grocers, small restaurants, etc.). it was often possible to have extended conversations with autowalahs and i would invariably ask them which languages they could speak. almost all of them could speak hindi/hindustani, tamil, and telugu and of course kannada. a few could also speak or understand marathi or english. but almost all of them said that they cannot speak malayalam (although many said that they could understand the language). i asked why and the answer was always 'its too difficult a language'.

--> Kannadigas i spoke to complained about the fact that there are many north indians born and brought up in bangalore who are completely ignorant of the kannada language and that this is showing disrespect to the local culture. but they also said that tamils in bangalore insist on communicating with them in tamil. in this respect, the tamilians were no different from the north indians. this is what many kannadigas of bangalore told me.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:26 pm

rashmun, why i thought you'll like this article precisely because it is so superficial and insulting of one's intelligence! just like many of your posts on similar subject matters loaded with sweeping statements.

and i note with considerable pleasure that references to your conversations with rickshaw pullers, grocers, waiters at restaurants, bank security wallahs, household help, plumbers, electricians, bus conductors, cooks, construction workers, peons, and shop keepers are back in your posts. i was missing them.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rashmun, why i thought you'll like this article precisely because it is so superficial and insulting of one's intelligence! just like many of your posts on similar subject matters loaded with sweeping statements.

and i note with considerable pleasure that references to your conversations with rickshaw pullers, grocers, waiters at restaurants, bank security wallahs, household help, plumbers, electricians, bus conductors, cooks, construction workers, peons, and shop keepers are back in your posts. i was missing them.

i have deliberately avoided giving anecdotal evidence in these kind of discussions after you objected on several occasions to my doing so, but i find no other way to demolish the writer's wild statement* other than to bring up my own experiences in Bangalore. After all, the writer is also relying on his own experiences in Bangalore in his arguments.

*The fifth observation is the commonly found ability of south Indians to
speak another (southern) state’s language. This comes from proximity
more than from any pressing desire to be multicultural. But it shows the
southerner’s openness...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down