Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too irritating to ignore

5 posters

Go down

Too irritating to ignore Empty Too irritating to ignore

Post by charvaka Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:38 pm

For years, the Americans have looked the other way as Hafiz Saeed and his terrorist operation targeted India. After major attacks like the ones on Parliament House and Bombay, they pressured the Pakis into making the token house arrest for a couple of months. But this time Saeed is not limiting himself to his anti-India agenda; he is actively supporting the Taliban efforts to cut American supply lines that run from Karachi to Kandahar and Kabul. Saeed seems to have become too irritating for the Americans to ignore -- the US has put a $10 million reward for any information leading up to his capture and arrest. And Saeed has a point:

"We are not hiding in a cave or on a mountain. We
address hundreds of thousands every day. These bounties are placed on
people who are in hiding or cannot be found."

Why does the US need to put a bounty on someone who operates openly within Pakistan? The US has paid many billions to the Paki army; do they need an additional $10 million as service charges for making this arrest?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Too irritating to ignore Empty Re: Too irritating to ignore

Post by truthbetold Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:51 pm

The hope is some foolish but ambitiousl paki will take the bait ans shoot saeed. One can only hope money can lure someone to take the plunge.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 am

truthbetold wrote:The hope is some foolish but ambitiousl paki will take the bait ans shoot saeed. One can only hope money can lure someone to take the plunge.

>>>It is all part of the pretense to oneself that this indeed is an ally and the man needs to be ferreted out from his hiding place and he is as much a nuisance to them as he is to us. yeah, the self-delusion about this would be comical if it weren't for the duplicity and the money being wasted on this charade.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:53 am

just because someone addresses thousands of ppl in pakistan doesnt mean they can drop in some navy seals to capture him or take him out with drones along with a few hundred "innocents" does it? remember they dont have the support of pakistan's army or govt anymore in their hunt for terrorists.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:19 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:just because someone addresses thousands of ppl in pakistan doesnt mean they can drop in some navy seals to capture him or take him out with drones along with a few hundred "innocents" does it? remember they dont have the support of pakistan's army or govt anymore in their hunt for terrorists.
But what "information" leading up to an arrest or conviction do they need? If they need "information" on his whereabouts, all they need to do is watch Geo TV for a few days. And if they need information leading up to a conviction, India is ready to offer that information for free. I guess this reward is an attempt to get some private parties to finish off the dirty work that neither side wants to do.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Saeed taunts the US by appearing at a press conference where says the Americans know where to contact him.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-05/pakistan-militant-taunts-us-over-2410m-bounty/3933914
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:28 am

charvaka wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:just because someone addresses thousands of ppl in pakistan doesnt mean they can drop in some navy seals to capture him or take him out with drones along with a few hundred "innocents" does it? remember they dont have the support of pakistan's army or govt anymore in their hunt for terrorists.
But what "information" leading up to an arrest or conviction do they need? If they need "information" on his whereabouts, all they need to do is watch Geo TV for a few days. And if they need information leading up to a conviction, India is ready to offer that information for free. I guess this reward is an attempt to get some private parties to finish off the dirty work that neither side wants to do.

Sir, I'm confused by your statements. From what I can make out from media reports, his only crime appears to have been exercising his most important freedom of speech. Are you now advocating bounties and drone attacks on people who use their most important freedom of speech to say things which incite others to cause death and destruction??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:32 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
charvaka wrote:

Sir, I'm confused by your statements. From what I can make out from media reports, his only crime appears to have been exercising his most important freedom of speech. Are you now advocating bounties and drone attacks on people who use their most important freedom of speech to say things which incite others to cause death and destruction??
I am not advocating anything. I am just asking why the US is offering the bounty. BTW, Saeed is accused of more than mere speech. He is accused of masterminding terrorist attacks in another country.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:59 am

charvaka wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
charvaka wrote:

I am not advocating anything. I am just asking why the US is offering the bounty. BTW, Saeed is accused of more than mere speech. He is accused of masterminding terrorist attacks in another country.

Accusations, alas, get thrown around freely in this part of the world saar. We routinely provide "evidence" of most-wanted terrorists being sheltered by Pakistan, only to find those individuals merrily living in India. The reason why the bounty is being offered in the first place is because there isn't enough evidence against the man that can stand judicial scrutiny (the GoI's oft-repeated claims notwithstanding). So in the absence of evidence to any more serious crime, you want Saeed to be arrested (again) merely for exercising his most important freedom of speech??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:16 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Accusations, alas, get thrown around freely in this part of the world saar. We routinely provide "evidence" of most-wanted terrorists being sheltered by Pakistan, only to find those individuals merrily living in India. The reason why the bounty is being offered in the first place is because there isn't enough evidence against the man that can stand judicial scrutiny (the GoI's oft-repeated claims notwithstanding). So in the absence of evidence to any more serious crime, you want Saeed to be arrested (again) merely for exercising his most important freedom of speech??
Let me repeat one more time: I am not advocating anything. The State Department spokesman has answered my original question; thanks for posting a link to that story.

PS: It is a fair bet that solely on the basis of existing evidence, he would be convicted in a court, whether in Mumbai or Manhattan. But that is my Personal Subjective Opinion, not an Absolute Opinion.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:37 am

charvaka wrote:Let me repeat one more time: I am not advocating anything.

Ok, I believe you. It's just that your question:"But what "information" leading up to an arrest or conviction do they need?" sounded very similar to Upps' impatience with the due process of law getting in the way of stringing up Ajmal Kasab.

charvaka wrote:PS: It is a fair bet that solely on the basis of existing evidence, he would be convicted in a court, whether in Mumbai or Manhattan. But that is my Personal Subjective Opinion, not an Absolute Opinion.

Is that because the `essence of democracy' rules over cold, hard evidence in Mumbai / Manhattan courts?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down