Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cyber crime charges against Professor who posted cartoon on Mamata

4 posters

Go down

Cyber crime charges against Professor who posted cartoon on Mamata Empty Cyber crime charges against Professor who posted cartoon on Mamata

Post by FluteHolder Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:36 am

http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/other-states/article3311017.ece?homepage=true

A professor of chemistry of the Jadavpur University was arrested on Friday along with his neighbour for allegedly posting a cartoon on a popular social networking site involving Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Railway Minister Mukul Roy and former Railway minister Dinesh Trivedi.

DCP (south suburban division) Sujay Chanda said that Professor Ambikesh Mohapatra was arrested along with a neighbour residing in east Jadavpur for spreading derogatory messages against “respectable persons.” They would be produced in a court, he added.

The cartoon in question, which was also sent by e-mail, showed chief minister and the railway minister apparently exchanging dialogues from a popular Bengali film Sonar Kella, a detective masterpiece by Satyajit Ray, which alluded to the replacement of Trivedi by Roy as Railway minister.

The arrests triggered reaction from various circles with State Labour Minister Purnendu Bose justifying the police action. Mr. Bose argued that it was not a cartoon, but real pictures, which was “nothing but an insult,” adding that “Law will take its own course.”

Arrest ridiculed

Rebel Trinamool Congress MP Kabir Suman slammed the police for making the arrests.

“What has been forwarded in the website is an innocent expression and it is difficult to accept that a person can be arrested on the basis of this,” he said.

Educationists Sunanda Sanyal, who has parted ways with Ms. Banerjee in recent time, condemned the arrest and said it was made “on a flimsy ground.”

Noted writer Sunil Gangopadhyay said that the arrests were a pointer to the dictatorial attitude of the ruling party “which is ominous.”

“I fail to understand how arrests can be made over cartoons which are natural expressions in a democracy and want to know when politicians will learn to ignore cartoons,”

The writer demanded immediate release of the professor.

“The arrest is a clear assault on the democratic right of freedom of expression. It is like very much what happened during Emergency,” CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat said.

Keywords: Mamata cartoon, cyber crime, political arrests, Railway minister change

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Cyber crime charges against Professor who posted cartoon on Mamata Empty Re: Cyber crime charges against Professor who posted cartoon on Mamata

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:54 am

FH, Are you in Chennai?

Will you please investigate about the airport sign I posted in another thread. Make sure toi look into inside the airport office also (may not be accessible to public but ask employtees about it.)

Cyber crime charges against Professor who posted cartoon on Mamata 0301a

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Cyber crime charges against Professor who posted cartoon on Mamata Empty Re: Cyber crime charges against Professor who posted cartoon on Mamata

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:58 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:FH, Are you in Chennai?

Will you please investigate about the airport sign I posted in another thread. Make sure toi look into inside the airport office also (may not be accessible to public but ask employtees about it.)

Cyber crime charges against Professor who posted cartoon on Mamata 0301a

lol!

So what happens if it is a false info? Your credibility and reputation will be "ruined?"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:00 am

FluteHolder wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/other-states/article3311017.ece?homepage=true
Keywords: Mamata cartoon, cyber crime, political arrests, Railway minister change

Trust the Indian politicians to subvert any law and abuse it for personal use.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:04 am

?? So what happens if it is a false info? Your credibility and reputation will be "ruined?"

I am 100% true that there is a sign in airport. My questrion is where.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:09 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:?? So what happens if it is a false info? Your credibility and reputation will be "ruined?"

I am 100% true that there is a sign in airport. My questrion is where.

>>>No point taking others' words for it. I think this requires a trip right away from you and a direct report. Emirates has afternoon flights from SFO. Go ahead, show 'em Hindians! Godspeed.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down