Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cricket memories

5 posters

Go down

Cricket memories Empty Cricket memories

Post by doofus_maximus Thu May 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Sorry for this nostalgia driven post and cliched title.

When did you first start watching cricket or listening to commentary? My first memory of watching a cricket match was the India Vs England series in 1984 when Azharuddin made his debut and hit three consecutive centuries on debut. The day we all thought he would score the third ton, I bunked school and watched it with my friend's dad at his house.

Before that I only listened to commentary and of course heard the 1983 WC matches. But only a few of them and not the finals Sad

Like everyone else my age group or who are from India, my first ever match telecast by Channel 9 was the India Vs Pakistan 1985 B&H series match. More than 50 of us sat through matches after matches and watched the entire series.

I distinctly remember the semis between India and NZ when Kapil and DV combined to score 100 odd runs in 15 overs.

So here come the videos...

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Cricket memories Empty Re: Cricket memories

Post by Guest Thu May 17, 2012 2:11 pm

my first tv memory - world cup 83. I remember dad glued to the tv.. then something happened. either they switched it to show news, or our power went off, and dad got all impatient, even though he had assumed that we will lost. Then when the game came back on, we were winning! Thankfully, saw the end. Kapil Dev opening champagne on lords.. can never forget.

another tv [bad] memory is two words - sharjah + sixer. April 18th 1986.

I do remember Azhar's debut. Was awesome.

non tv memory - going too see cricket in stadiums. Dad would watch every match in our hometown, even if of ranji levels. We would get tagged along for main ones. Was a delight to sit in the pavilions, and spot random celebrities. And loved watching players up close. gavaskar, shastri, Kapil Dev, Sandeep Patil, and so on.... One such was with Paki team, and we had lost. Stupid Quadir played up in the end. Forgetting the year.

Another one was Aus-NZ, I think in 1986. Remember crushing on the Wright brothers, and I think Boon was the Aus captain. And that super tall guy... I also remember watching India-england. No recollection of the rest of it.

Remember watching a game of WI tour of India, in 83 (or 84) after world cup. watched this one in open stands with sister's classmates. Man, the beating they gave us. Remember watching another WI game too, from the pavilions. Fell in love with viv richards and one more cricketer, forgetting his name now.

Last edited by Tracy Whitney on Thu May 17, 2012 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu May 17, 2012 2:15 pm

gavaskar's masterclass double ton at the oval (mid 80s), eagerly looking in the newspaper to find out how local hero venkat bowled the previous day; he was in the autumn of his career when i started following the game. those are some of my first memories. this was either just preceded or succeeded (not sure of the order) of the indian team getting demolished by imran & co. especially imran's in-dipper which destroyed many an indian career.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu May 17, 2012 2:57 pm

The best cricket-watching memories I have are from the '90s. I watched every ball of every test in the England tour of India in 1992. After that I started watching test matches intently. I stopped in the last '90s, and have only watched cricket intermittently since.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu May 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:my first tv memory - world cup 83. I remember dad glued to the tv.. then something happened. either they switched it to show news, or our power went off, and dad got all impatient, even though he had assumed that we will lost. Then when the game came back on, we were winning! Thankfully, saw the end. Kapil Dev opening champagne on lords.. can never forget.

non tv memory - going too see cricket in stadiums. Dad would watch every match in our hometown, even if of ranji levels. We would get tagged along for main ones. Was a delight to sit in the pavilions, and spot random celebrities. And loved watching players up close. gavaskar, shastri, Kapil Dev, Sandeep Patil, and so on.... One such was with Paki team, and we had lost. Stupid Quadir played up in the end. Forgetting the year.

Another one was Aus-NZ, I think in 1986. Remember crushing on the Wright brothers, and I think Boon was the Aus captain. And that super tall guy... I also remember watching India-england. No recollection of the rest of it.

Remember watching a game of WI tour of India, in 83 (or 84) after world cup. watched this one in open stands with sister's classmates. Man, the beating they gave us. Remember watching another WI game too, from the pavilions. Fell in love with viv richards and one more cricketer, forgetting his name now.

Lucky you to have watched many matches at the stadium. I have seen only one match in Lucknow in 1994. India Vs SL where Kumble ran through the SL batting. Saw SRT field right next to us.

Other than that I have seen only Kris Srikanth and WV Raman in person. I got an autograph from WV Raman and he said to me in Tamil to go get the autograph from Srikanth. I told Raman that he will surely play for India soon and his autograph will be valuable. He did so the next year. I hope he remembered me when he made the debut for India.

They both played for Madras TVS team and the friendly match was played against Madural TVS team. Kris Srikkanth got out the first ball. The whole crowd knew...but he wasn't given out and he went on to entertain the crowd. If you watch the second video I posted you can see KS's batting in that 1985 finals. Fearless and carefree comes to mind.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu May 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:my first tv memory - world cup 83. I remember dad glued to the tv.. then something happened. either they switched it to show news, or our power went off, and dad got all impatient, even though he had assumed that we will lost. Then when the game came back on, we were winning! Thankfully, saw the end. Kapil Dev opening champagne on lords.. can never forget.

this post is incomplete without the passing mention of sasu, bahu, BFF, BFF's sister's BF, ex, ex's mom's sister that was a kindly aunty and assorted characters.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu May 17, 2012 3:11 pm

You mean the guys who invented airplanes also played cricket in 1980s. wow
I guess you mean the crowe brothers.. Border was the captain. You saw this in a stadium. how??
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Cricket memories Empty '83 World Cup highlights complete with quintessentially Madras English comments

Post by Petrichor Thu May 17, 2012 3:15 pm

New to Chennai and TV at that time...

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17, 2012 4:26 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:

You mean the guys who invented airplanes also played cricket in 1980s. wow
I guess you mean the crowe brothers.. Border was the captain. You saw this in a stadium. how??

I'm going senile. Yep this is the documented proof. Actually, when it comes to names, I always was senile. I remember once I was in late teens and was recommending someone a GREAT grammar practice book by mills and boon. After a lot of puzzled expressions someone suggested to me that I probably mean Wren and Martin. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down