Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Max, did you say Tamil language has 200 alphabets?

3 posters

Go down

Max, did you say Tamil language has 200 alphabets? Empty Max, did you say Tamil language has 200 alphabets?

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:44 pm

seva-lamberdar posted
Re:difference between face book and sulekha on 3 days ago

Some TNers oppose Hindi just for political reasons because Hindi is an outside language to them. They have no qualms about learning and propagating English though even though English is also external to TN; and they might even become proficient in English at the expense of their own language (Tamil). A few years back someone on Sulekha ( Hamsadhwani) posted a thread enquiring about the number of alphabets in Tamil , to which Max (who claims have Tamil as his mother-tongue and opposes the official teaching of Hindi in TN) responded (about ) 200 (as the number of alphabets in Tamil). That naturally (such a high number of alphabets in Tamil?) led to my curiosity about the thread (on Tamil) and the language itself. Anyway, after a bit of investigation I found out that the guy was simply confused about the number of alphabets in his own language (Tamil), which is 30 and not in hundreds (200 or so, as Max mentioned). Incidentally, when I wrote a Sulekha blog on the subject (listed below) and mentioned his and Hamsadhwani’s names in the acknowledgement (which I always do if I write a blog based on another thread or discussion with other people) he made quite a fuss about the mention of his name in the blog (perhaps embarrassed a bit about his answer) and had me remove it (which at that time Sulekha wouldn’t let do easily), http://seva.sulekha.com/blog/post/2006/02/similarities-between-tamil-and-hindi.htm
Hide 1 reply

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/difference-between-face-book-and-sulekha-1136245.htm#1136294

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Max, did you say Tamil language has 200 alphabets? Empty Re: Max, did you say Tamil language has 200 alphabets?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Narayaana Narayaaana.

Uyir Eazhuthukkal = 12

Mei Yezhuthukkal = 18

Conjunction of these = 216

So you can say the total is 216+12 OR 216 + 30 or 30 for simplicity.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Max, did you say Tamil language has 200 alphabets? Empty Re: Max, did you say Tamil language has 200 alphabets?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:09 pm

yeah what saamiyar said. depends on what you want to call a letter. modern thamizh grammarians have chosen to count letters the way saamiyar described. that's how we were taught in grammar classes. actually it's 247; saamiyar forgot the Aitha ezhuththu. i tried explaining it to seva, but in his usual circular and pigheaded argumentation style he didn't want to listen or learn. whatever.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:51 pm

yeah...the ayutha Ezhuthu is more theoretical these days - as it is neither combined with the other ones nor used commonly these days. It has been years since I have come across its use in the tamil media. Try explaining Ayutha Ezhuthu to Naarthies...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down