Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foe's list

+4
Rekz
artood2
charvaka
CroMagnon
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Foe's list - Page 2 Empty Re: Foe's list

Post by CroMagnon Fri May 20, 2011 1:03 am

charvaka wrote:Maria is genuinely complimentary to people

Ahem!
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri May 20, 2011 1:11 am

CroMagnon wrote:

Ahem!
What? Do you disagree? No matter what you may say about her, you gotta admit that she won't get tired of being nice to others.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Fri May 20, 2011 12:20 pm

charvaka wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:

Ahem!
What? Do you disagree? No matter what you may say about her, you gotta admit that she won't get tired of being nice to others.

I disagreed with the word in bold. I do agree she won't get tired of being complimentary to others - but there is nothing genuine about it.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri May 20, 2011 12:26 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
charvaka wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:

Ahem!

I disagreed with the word in bold. I do agree she won't get tired of being complimentary to others - but there is nothing genuine about it.

cro - the world is going to end tomorrow. you are running behind on a lot of things. a) the yatch party b) questionable ungerdog activities c) stock picks for the c dude

why can't i sense urgency?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri May 20, 2011 12:29 pm

CroMagnon wrote:I do agree she won't get tired of being complimentary to others - but there is nothing genuine about it.
Here's how I look at it... I am not generous with compliments; neither are you. To us, it might seem odd that someone might be routinely complimenting others. So it makes us wonder, "is there a vested interest behind all that complimenting?" But it is quite possible that others who enjoy giving and receiving compliments more than we do genuinely want to give a lot of compliments. As the shloka that Indophile posted yesterday says, there's no reason (apart from personal preference) to be stingy with compliments or appreciation.

To put it in other words: it is impossible for me (and you) to be genuine if I had to be as generous with compliments as Maria is. It is quite possible for Maria to be genuine doing what she does, and I think she is.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Fri May 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Impedimenta wrote:cro - the world is going to end tomorrow. you are running behind on a lot of things. a) the yatch party b) questionable ungerdog activities c) stock picks for the c dude

We had a beach party (next best thing to a yacht party) which was scheduled for y'day but didn't happen because of cold weather :-(

I'm hiking up in the mountains tomorrow which will protect me from flood and radiation - that covers 2 doomsday scenarios. If the world does manage to survive, I'll take a tour of the universal studios on Sunday.

What are your plans for the weekend?

BTW, did you read my reply to your original question?
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri May 20, 2011 12:38 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:cro - the world is going to end tomorrow. you are running behind on a lot of things. a) the yatch party b) questionable ungerdog activities c) stock picks for the c dude

We had a beach party (next best thing to a yacht party) which was scheduled for y'day but didn't happen because of cold weather :-(

I'm hiking up in the mountains tomorrow which will protect me from flood and radiation - that covers 2 doomsday scenarios. If the world does manage to survive, I'll take a tour of the universal studios on Sunday.

What are your plans for the weekend?

BTW, did you read my reply to your original question?

god, you guys have managed to scare me into retiring into a cave of sorts. where are you hiking? surely not njtp:-) weekend, i am growing a year older. so, it might be a good thing that the world ends.

it is hard to follow answers. i'll dig up to see your reply. i forgot my question as well. this is not a sign of aging. its lack of sleep.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Fri May 20, 2011 12:44 pm

charvaka wrote:To put it in other words: it is impossible for me (and you) to be genuine if I had to be as generous with compliments as Maria is. It is quite possible for Maria to be genuine doing what she does, and I think she is.

I agree with the first part. I cannot genuinely compliment most people because I do not find them worthy of compliments. But I have no problem dishing out compliments to people who I think are worthy of them.

I have made my opinion about Maria based on my observations which are yet to be refuted by counter arguments/observations. Like I said earlier, she is like Sathya Sai Baba - many people revere her and they will scold you, mock you or collectively ostracize you if you say anything against her, but no one ever comes out with a rational argument in her defense.

PS: Enough on Maria. There was a good reason why I didn't read her posts for a year or so. I should stick to it.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Fri May 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Impedimenta wrote:where are you hiking? surely not njtp:-)

Big Santa Anita Canyon.

Impedimenta wrote:weekend, i am growing a year older. so, it might be a good thing that the world ends.

Happy B'day in advance. Are you going to a NYC club for b'day bash?

Impedimenta wrote:this is not a sign of aging. its lack of sleep.

Don't worry we are all losing our gray (grey?) cells :-)
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri May 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Happy birthday Impy.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri May 20, 2011 12:59 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
charvaka wrote:To put it in other words: it is impossible for me (and you) to be genuine if I had to be as generous with compliments as Maria is. It is quite possible for Maria to be genuine doing what she does, and I think she is.

I agree with the first part. I cannot genuinely compliment most people because I do not find them worthy of compliments. But I have no problem dishing out compliments to people who I think are worthy of them.

I have made my opinion about Maria based on my observations which are yet to be refuted by counter arguments/observations. Like I said earlier, she is like Sathya Sai Baba - many people revere her and they will scold you, mock you or collectively ostracize you if you say anything against her, but no one ever comes out with a rational argument in her defense.

PS: Enough on Maria. There was a good reason why I didn't read her posts for a year or so. I should stick to it.

isn't it only your loss? ..as I recall she mentioned you having the potential in your early days : Neutral

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri May 20, 2011 1:00 pm

charvaka wrote:Happy birthday Impy.

shouldn't it be sleepy birthday Twisted Evil

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri May 20, 2011 1:46 pm

thanks Cro, carvaka. i am confused if i should thank garam masala.

cro - nyc is going to happen....

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri May 20, 2011 3:33 pm

charvaka wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:I do agree she won't get tired of being complimentary to others - but there is nothing genuine about it.
Here's how I look at it... I am not generous with compliments; neither are you. To us, it might seem odd that someone might be routinely complimenting others. So it makes us wonder, "is there a vested interest behind all that complimenting?" But it is quite possible that others who enjoy giving and receiving compliments more than we do genuinely want to give a lot of compliments. As the shloka that Indophile posted yesterday says, there's no reason (apart from personal preference) to be stingy with compliments or appreciation.

To put it in other words: it is impossible for me (and you) to be genuine if I had to be as generous with compliments as Maria is. It is quite possible for Maria to be genuine doing what she does, and I think she is.

Smile You remind me of that image with 3 little monkeys - 'hear no evil, see no evil, talk no evil' or something like that.
I've upgraded her to LW's category long time ago. I agree with cro on this one. PI once called her something and I was initially taken aback by it, but now I think there's no other word that describes her better than that. It's just surprising that she's managed to maintain at least a little bit of credibility for so long on a board that is harsh, and mostly treats its posters appropriately.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2