Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Harvard let her in?

5 posters

Go down

Will Harvard let her in? Empty Will Harvard let her in?

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:15 pm

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/india-decides-9/indian-student-shreya-creates-world-record-in-sat-toefl-scores/240033?vod-mostpopular

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Will Harvard let her in? Empty Re: Will Harvard let her in?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:53 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/india-decides-9/indian-student-shreya-creates-world-record-in-sat-toefl-scores/240033?vod-mostpopular

Depends:

1. Is she a homeless girl from Delhi or other sensational background?

2. How is her resume other than test scores?

3. did she take J E E ? Make it ?

But, she does seem like a level headed girl, and she will do well wherever she goes.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:44 pm

every year, harvard rejects many students - probably hundreds of them - who make 2400 in the sat, and have perfect gpas. so long as one has an sat score of 2250, whether harvard accepts one or not depends on other factors that make one unique.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:41 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:every year, harvard rejects many students - probably hundreds of them - who make 2400 in the sat, and have perfect gpas. so long as one has an sat score of 2250, whether harvard accepts one or not depends on other factors that make one unique.

Those things do go into many desi parents heads...and the kids themselves learn these from schools. They will do just fine, if the NRI parents dont push them on SAT and GPAs.

The kids in India dont have enough opportunities or even aware of these. The test driven school system puts 100% emphasis on test scores and GPAs/marks and they will lose big time trying to get into most good top US schools. A handful pricey schools in mega cities are putting emphasis on other matters - these are schools with kids from NRA families in India, who would/want to send their kids to Amrika (wonly) colleges.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:56 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote: so long as one has an sat score of 2250, whether harvard accepts one or not depends on other factors that make one unique.

or has a parent who attended harvard.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:18 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote: so long as one has an sat score of 2250, whether harvard accepts one or not depends on other factors that make one unique.

Yep...that gives them 20 to 25 points (out of 100) on their application.

P.S. Does Harvard have any age limit - direct or indirect - like say under/over 100.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:over 100.

that would certainly make you unique. your best shot is now thatha.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:41 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

or has zulfikar ali butto, foreign minister, president-in-waiting, pakistan, for a father.

or has won a medal in varsity level soccer/football/rugby/athletics/fussball*

or has narayan murthy, MD, Infosys, patron of the trust, for a father

or, verbatim, Harvard states that here is no formula for gaining admission to Harvard

or has written a remarkable(!) essay in the application form

or it's opaque, whimsical and irrational...leave it yaa(r)

(it makes ample sense -- life is whimsical, irrational and opaque. don't be fooled by some saamiYaa(r)'s who are trying to tame it.)

*my dorm mate in college, who became my best friend, got admitted on the basis of his "running" record in high school. he had an average SAT score. he followed me and switched his major to philosophy. by second year he quit "running" for school and gained some weight. by senior year, he was acing all his papers while i wasn't. he got admitted to harvard law school on merit (or perhaps his old "running" record -- who knows? life is mysterious. boo!).

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:00 pm

HK

Did you do your undergraduate in Amrika?

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:10 pm

yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:16 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:HK

Did you do your undergraduate in Amrika?

He is loaded and super-O-super rich (trying to buy a couple of flats in Bangalore..!!!!!).

Naryanayamurthy's son went to Harvard (ranked 20) for his PhD in comp sci after doing BS at Cornell (ranked 5). He went for the "name" and graduate school is a different story - although not automatic.

Your friend went on his high school track record? where did he do his schooling ? did he go to HARVARD or another school. The fact that this guy did well in his courses show that the Adcom definitely recognized his scholarly potential as well.

Essays from India are looks at skeptically as everyone suspects it was written/corrected/prompted by parents and others. The Adcom has several people on it and all it takes is one nosy Desi like SaamiYaar to smell a rat in the application.

It is easIER to get admission into Berkeley - as it is looking to fill the seats to get the rocketing phoren tuition to balance the budget problems.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:He is loaded and super-O-super rich (trying to buy a couple of flats in Bangalore..!!!!!).
no. let me clear misconceptions. i am not super-rich. and i got carried away in my post earlier. i am only seeking one flat in bangalore in the price range of ~1 crore, no more, for personal reasons to be frank. if i have money to invest, i think i will invest in kolkata (and nowhere else) -- where i will die.

Naryanayamurthy's son went to Harvard (ranked 20) for his PhD in comp sci after doing BS at Cornell (ranked 5). He went for the "name" and graduate school is a different story - although not automatic.
you would have something for benazir bhutto in defence too...?
Your friend went on his high school track record? where did he do his schooling ?
illinois.
did he go to HARVARD or another school.
he went to harvard and is now prosperous. i am much enjoying how you are trying to tame it with your rapid fire koschens.

The fact that this guy did well in his courses show that the Adcom definitely recognized his scholarly potential as well.
aaaah! so there is an algorithm?

Essays from India are looks at skeptically as everyone suspects it was written/corrected/prompted by parents and others.
when i switched majors in my sophomore year (actually i double majored but first i switched), i had to approach my dean with the request. she told me (she was japanese) that she'd knew i'd come to her with this request after she had read my essay in the application form. she was head of the computer science department. i am not trying to brag but only suggesting that arts and science have no nationality. my essay was not the most grammatically correct or well punctuated. stop trying to configure an algorithm to ivy admissions someYaa(r).

otoh, i suspect she had played a significant role in securing my admission.

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:06 pm

HK,

For all the old money you have, you come across as a decent and humble guy unlike the rich Marwadi a$$hole classmate I had back home.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:41 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:HK,

For all the old money you have, you come across as a decent and humble guy unlike the rich Marwadi a$$hole classmate I had back home.

HK is a nice guy - I will say that upfront.

But, in his posts, he starts out something, then his mind races forgetting what he is supposed to focus, deviating, diluting, and then apply a Rashmunesque technique to his discussion and finally arriving at SaamiYaar's conclusion - everything is same. It is fun to watch his 5 posts and see the derailment and track changes. (Of course, most of us do this and I am sure others watch the disconnects in my posts as well.)

First, HK is super rich -compared to the normal Middel middel class of the 80s and 90s. Who could afford to go to Columbia for undergrad from India in the 80s when getting $1000 for a foreign trip was no easy task.

Now, once a person is admitted and is in person, a Dean can easily judge the person vis-a-vis his statement. But, not before that. Hence, the adcoms scan, screen, dissect an application before bringing the applicant in to ensure his/her success.

Like I said Grad and professional school admission is different. So he getting into Harvard law school is not the same as an applicant or an undergraduate program.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:44 pm

i don't have money. here is my summary:

i was born into a rich business family that reaped their gains from indira gandhi's repressive regime (as other marwaris did) in kolkata. when i became an adult everything had been squandered away (unlike marwaris, we did not have the culture to resolve familial/filial issues within closed doors). lost and forlorn, i charted my own way then after (right after my marriage -- for suddenly i had a burden) and right now i earn about as much you expats do (in rupees). if i was so rich i would have sent my older to my US school on an "alumnus quota." but i cannot deny that i have inherited wealth (locked wealth in most cases with litigated properties that have no end in sight). right now i am comfortable. comfortable enough to not struggle (and that is what i always wanted -- nothing more).

next point: assholes are abound in every community. marwaris are no exception.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i don't have money. here is my summary:

i was born into a rich business family that reaped their gains from indira gandhi's repressive regime (as other marwaris did) in kolkata. when i became an adult everything had been squandered away (unlike marwaris, we did not have the culture to resolve familial/filial issues within closed doors). lost and forlorn, i charted my own way then after (right after my marriage -- for suddenly i had a burden) and right now i earn about as much you expats do (in rupees). if i was so rich i would have sent my older to my US school on an "alumnus quota." but i cannot deny that i have inherited wealth (locked wealth in most cases with litigated properties that have no end in sight). right now i am comfortable. comfortable enough to not struggle (and that is what i always wanted -- nothing more).

next point: assholes are abound in every community. marwaris are no exception.

no need to give personal details. But, it is good you did bcz it will be in pCloud (Padre's cloud). You were rich enough to go to Columbia. and rich enough to contemplate buying a flat in Bengaluru (But, I agree that Kris and Mr. T are super richer than you).

As they say, wealth lasts 3 Generations. Hoping idiocy also lasts only 3 Gens. have high hopes for my great grand kids (at least).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:39 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote: But, it is good you did bcz it will be in pCloud (Padre's cloud).
ROFL!
As they say, wealth lasts 3 Generations.
i think this is true.
Hoping idiocy also lasts only 3 Gens. have high hopes for my great grand kids (at least).
LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
no need to give personal details.
nah! the more you share knowledge, the more your knowledge grows (but don't try this with the income tax dept.). here's a full confession: http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/banwarilal-s-son-s-fansy-shmancy-school-1027744.htm#1027983 (income before personal expenses and tax -- obviously)

Rupee has plummeted since so i am poorer in dollars, ha ha.

the only good thing about earning so much is that you will never get raided by the IT dept. you are under their radar. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:12 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
no need to give personal details.
nah! the more you share knowledge, the more your knowledge grows (but don't try this with the income tax dept.). here's a full confession: http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/banwarilal-s-son-s-fansy-shmancy-school-1027744.htm#1027983 (income before personal expenses and tax -- obviously)

Rupee has plummeted since so i am poorer in dollars, ha ha.

the only good thing about earning so much is that you will never get raided by the IT dept. you are under their radar. Razz

making $750K at today's exchange rate is a LOT OF money. only a VERY few on this board make even ONE-THIRD of that before taxes. You are looking at those making 10 cr and multiples... That is on the RICH side be it in India or the US.

You sound like Romney - out of touch with middle class reality.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:48 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:making $750K at today's exchange rate is a LOT OF money. only a VERY few on this board make even ONE-THIRD of that before taxes.
i know. but i don't end up saving as much i'd like to. personal expenses are high. because i am in business, i regularly have to plough money back into business for expansion. my business is very poorly leveraged. from personal history, i have grown a dislike for bank loans. although i grew through bank loans, for the last couple of years i have stopped taking loans.

so i have to consciously buy assets from time to time to ensure something is saved. i guess it is the same story for all of us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:10 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
The fact that this guy did well in his courses show that the Adcom definitely recognized his scholarly potential as well.
i have not told you about my frat friends who got into school through "rugby quote" and who used others' urine to get a job after finishing school.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
i have not told you about my frat friends who got into school through "rugby quote" and who used others' urine to get a job after finishing school.

Urine can get one a job?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:33 am

urine test was mandatory in those days for a job in wall street (to check for dope and drugs).

http://ask.metafilter.com/53955/Do-the-top-investment-banks-in-NYC-drug-test-their-new-recruits

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:02 am

confused x 100

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:36 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i don't have money. here is my summary:...
no need to give personal details. You were rich enough to... (But, I agree that Kris and Mr. T are super richer than you)...
hahaha!

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 am

before this, i had not thought of you as naive.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down