Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'I am the idiot'

Go down

'I am the idiot' Empty 'I am the idiot'

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 am

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/extraordinaryissue/entry/i-am-the-idiot

Back to top Go down

'I am the idiot' Empty Re: 'I am the idiot'

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:36 am

From the article at the link:

But then, merit has never been of much value in our society. There are usually three ways to make good. One: Nepotism. This means you use your family name or social connections to get where you want to be. Some of the brightest people in politics and business have successfully leveraged the accident of their birth to reach where they are. It’s also called crony capitalism. But that’s being cynical and idiots like me are not allowed to be cynical. Two: Crime. It’s the charming short cut for those who have no access to family riches. This way you get to hang around the power elite and share a bit of the loot. You need to build muscle for this, on your biceps and forearms as well as in your brain. The power elite detest clever people hanging around them. They are not building successors; they are building an army of thugs. You have to fit in there. So learn the art of being faceless. Most criminals are. That’s why no one can easily catch them. The third way to make good is by State patronage: Reservations, in short. The way things are going, we will soon have reserved categories for dolts, one-armed bandits, pickpockets and rapists. Their numbers have grown so large they can now negotiate for reservations in jobs, legislatures, schools and colleges. Even seats on trains.

Back to top Go down