Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

it appears that fiscal cliff talks broke down

3 posters

Go down

it appears that fiscal cliff talks broke down Empty it appears that fiscal cliff talks broke down

Post by truthbetold Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:13 pm

The blame game started again. according to ny times talks appear.to have failed. market will take a dive in the half day they are open. may wipe out lot of 2012 gains.
grover norquist wins. what a shame?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

it appears that fiscal cliff talks broke down Empty Re: it appears that fiscal cliff talks broke down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:45 pm

i don't see how grover norquist wins. if nothing happens and the provisions of going over the fiscal cliff take hold, obama pretty much gets what he wants and more. it's the republicans who stand to lose a lot and must compromise.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

it appears that fiscal cliff talks broke down Empty Re: it appears that fiscal cliff talks broke down

Post by truthbetold Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:15 pm

Grover norquist wins because he forced repub not to sign a tax increase. Any deal after jan 1st is for a tax reduction. So repub can sheepishly claim to have not voted for tax increase. It is the fear of him and more likely his type that stopped republicans from compromise when obama offered a rather reasonable deal of entitlement cuts.

I personally would like to see the whole of bush taxes washed away as it does witb no deal. Obama then comes up corporate wrlfare reduction, entitlement caps, defence budget reform and some serious infrastucture spending. May be a housing bill to recover distressed areas.

I think obama handled the negotiations much better thistime around. I hope he can come up with a dramatically better proposal after the cliff.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:26 pm

The senate restarted the negotiations. Other senior repubs recognized that it is foolish to push cuts to seniors for preserving tax cuts rich.

If repub are forced to vote for tax increases, it may not mean much fiscally, it will end a psychological block in negotiations. I am looking forward to that.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:35 pm

Ready, on my hand-glider..ready to glide over the cliff..Crying or Very sad..down we go..go..go..10..9..8..7...as the fireworks are going off all over the world to welcome 2013..nice!

Happy NY- US Congress..
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:26 pm

I hjust read that the jump over cliff is likely to be comforted by a foambed on the other side. Senate , if it reaches a deal, will vote today. House will vote early next year claiming to reduce the taxes.

Deal is possible but not yet done according to reports.

I am not happy that grover norqiist pledge was not brokren.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:12 pm

I am not sure what's going on with all the political moves..but, Superman Joe aka VP apparently is on his way to the Senate..hope all's well that ends well (in the long-term) no matter what it looks like in the short-term..

Anyways..it's good to be home after a very short New Year Eve Mass..and a short stop at a NY party..before everyone got really jolly.."very jolly and spirited"..prefer quiet and peaceful..will relax with family, stay up and watch the ball drop in NY, NY..on TV!

Enjoy your night/morning!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 am

I told you all that Superman Joe is no goofy simpleton..he is a wise and seasoned negotiator..with a lot of goodwill.

*Not that this deal is great..but, any smart negotiator knows..it's one deal at a time..and always about compromises on all sides and applies to family, business, politics..you name it- and goodwill is priceless!

Glad the sensitive Speaker- understood the "Serenity prayer"..and followed it by casting his vote early..good to see him being brave and put his Speakership on the line..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/john-boehner-eric-cantor_n_2395593.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down