Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

He did not make it to IIT. Still successful than many IITians

4 posters

Go down

He did not make it to IIT. Still successful than many IITians Empty He did not make it to IIT. Still successful than many IITians

Post by Rishi Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:06 am

http://www.ee.washington.edu/faculty/anant/bio.html

It clearly shows that even though you could get into only a second tier school in India, if you work hard and consistently, you can succeed. He finally made it to a top tier graduate school.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

He did not make it to IIT. Still successful than many IITians Empty Re: He did not make it to IIT. Still successful than many IITians

Post by Petrichor Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 am

How do you know that he wanted to get into IIT or sat for the JEE?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

He did not make it to IIT. Still successful than many IITians Empty Re: He did not make it to IIT. Still successful than many IITians

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:13 am

atcg wrote:How do you know that he wanted to get into IIT or sat for the JEE?

I can say most likely he could not even get into any of the TN engineering colleges.

However, I know of a couple of cases, which turned down engineering seats and went for BSc Applied Sciences.

BTW, TCS CEO N. Chandrasekharan did BSc applied sciences (he did not get admission to any of the TN engineering colleges), then did MSc in REC Trichy after 10 years...before he moved to TCS.

The Applied Sciences is a very unique program with a very strong "applied math, physics, and Chemistry" courses along with engineering drawing, programming, economics, and other topics. it was/is available only in a few engineering colleges, and it was not that easy to get into that program.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:41 am

Rishi wrote:http://www.ee.washington.edu/faculty/anant/bio.html

It clearly shows that even though you could get into only a second tier school in India, if you work hard and consistently, you can succeed. He finally made it to a top tier graduate school.
the p.s.g. college of technology, coimbatore, is not "only a second-tier school" in india; it is one of the best. as far as i know, in t.n., it is second only to the college of engineering, guindy.

in his faculty position and research, anantram may have an advantage over iit grads because he did his bachelor's degree in applied science rather than engineering where he must have received roughly equal doses of chemistry, physics, and mathematics, which is perfect for the materials science in which he is involved now. both pune university, where he did his master's in physics, and purdue, where did his ph.d., are excellent universities.

i suspect that anatram is not merely someone who works "hard and consistently"; he is probably someone who discovered his true interests relatively early and immersed himself in them, disregarding the crowds of seventeen-year-old boys who woke up at four in the morning to attend sundaram's tutorial to learn to solve the seven types of problems in polar coordinates that would appear in the j.e.e.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Rishi wrote:http://www.ee.washington.edu/faculty/anant/bio.html

the p.s.g. college of technology, coimbatore, is not "only a second-tier school" in india; it is one of the best. as far as i know, in t.n., it is second only to the college of engineering, guindy.

in his faculty position and research, anantram may have an advantage over iit grads because he did his bachelor's degree in applied science rather than engineering where he must have received roughly equal doses of chemistry, physics, and mathematics, which is perfect for the materials science in which he is involved now. both pune university, where he did his master's in physics, and purdue, where did his ph.d., are excellent universities.

i suspect that anatram is not merely someone who works "hard and consistently"; he is probably someone who discovered his true interests relatively early and immersed himself in them, disregarding the crowds of seventeen-year-old boys who woke up at four in the morning to attend sundaram's tutorial to learn to solve the seven types of problems in polar coordinates that would appear in the j.e.e.

I think your analysis is correct and close to reality.

But I also suspect that he had a relative or friend of the family who might be a scientist or professor and might have acted as a mentor, instilled interest for the subject.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down