Why I am not an Atheist Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I am not an Atheist

+14
pravalika nanda
Propagandhi711
ashaNirasha
ashdoc
Nila
Idéfix
southindian
MaxEntropy_Man
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Rishi
Hellsangel
Kris
Petrichor
Maria S
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why I am not an Atheist Empty Why I am not an Atheist

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 am

*From my experiences/perspective:

Having been around- witnessed the beginning of life and end of life a whole lot- in my lifetime, it's quite awesome to imagine/know there is "something" much greater than human awesomeness.

*Do have moments of doubt, frustration and fears/anxiety..but, overcome them and feel liberated..when I have done everything in my human power and accept- "what was meant to be"...and try to let go.

Don't have to listen to anything - anyone else..Pope, Bishop, Pastor, Priest, Brother or Sister says/interprets my "faith-oriented" teachings (like an occasional good sermon/interpretation of the scriptures!). But, I am very capable of interpreting them for myself/gain some understanding. *Some times it leads to the interpretation (sorting out allegory, symbolism)- "I don't know", if it it is, it is what it is.

Like the fellowship with other non-atheists/like some rituals too..some individuals are wise, funny and..their "work" to help others unselfishly..quietly inspires me.

Feel very calm and at peace when I pray- it's physically and emotionally greatly helpful on a human level/my human conditioning.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Why I am not an Atheist Empty Re: Why I am not an Atheist

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:13 am

Calm and peace. That's all I go to temples for. No other belief matters at that point for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:14 am

*Faith oriented- "Scholarly- Well read (know what they are talking about), follow rituals, openly talk about them practicing their faith).
*Beyond that..no one knows what's in their heart! As mentioned above-sometimes I have a hard time remaining faith"ful" myself..and am sure everyone who "tries to" practice their faith sincerely.. tries to do the same.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:25 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Calm and peace. That's all I go to temples for. No other belief matters at that point for me.

I pray silently everywhere:) Especially when I travel by autorickshaws in Chennai!
*I am part of a few Churches (memberships)..in India and the US..but, "Organized Religion"- Is BIG business/BIG time politics (can't deny that!)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:26 am

I have come to see religion, religious practices and rituals as means towards achieving a certain mental state - i.e., a certain state of detached, observer like meditative state. I see all religion as a mind-training regimen.

Once I have this perspective, I am able to appreciate and even respect the 'believers' way of using their faith to calm themselves, or prepare themselves for action.

"Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

Last edited by atcg on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:30 am

Sure atcg..there is that too. But, to me it's more than conditioning of the mind.

I like Jim Carrey, when he is not outrageously silly- which he is most of the time! But, he is so good/shines in serious roles..like Nagesh used to be.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:39 am

Maria S wrote:Sure atcg..there is that too. But, to me it's more than conditioning of the mind.

I like Jim Carrey, when he is not outrageously silly- which he is most of the time! But, he is so good/shines in serious roles..like Nagesh used to be.

Just noticed the .sig - "If it was meant to be, it will find a way" - pretty good line for a therapist!!! or may be i am seeing things as usual.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:50 am

Smile
Is that how you see "therapists"..like believers..every single professional is different..and it could be only a 'very small part' of who they are-what they do!

You know..it's multidisciplinary-multispecialities everywhere, and it's becoming the norm. Resumes are interesting combos these days! *Saamiyaars* certainly know!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 am

atcg wrote:I have come to see religion, religious practices and rituals as means towards achieving a certain mental state - i.e., a certain state of detached, observer like meditative state.

>>>>Pretty much sums up my view on this. One of the reasons I go the temple.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:55 am

Maria S wrote:Smile
Is that how you see "therapists"..like believers..every single professional is different..and it could be only a 'very small part' of who they are-what they do!

You know..it's multidisciplinary-multispecialities everywhere, and it's becoming the norm. Resumes are interesting combos these days! *Saamiyaars* certainly know!

Actually I should have explained a bit more -

Therapists spend most of their waking hours (being charitable here) on deriving "meaning" from the stories they hear. I saw your signature line as signifying a certain stance by the therapist to stay detached and derive "meaning" (or "if it was meant...) it will find a way to be expressed in the stories they hear from their clients.

ps. nothing wrong in therapists being believers Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:06 pm

atcg wrote:[

Therapists spend most of their waking hours (being charitable here) on deriving "meaning" from the stories they hear. I saw your signature line as signifying a certain stance by the therapist to stay detached and derive "meaning" (or "if it was meant...) it will find a way to be expressed in the stories they hear from their clients.

Appreciate you paying attention to that sig.line! That's an interesting interpretation. Nothing wrong in Doctors being believers, most of my colleagues are. Many are well known..and not just doctors..like Dr. Sirkali Sivachidambaram and some are Revs and Rabbis..of course..*many in the US are Senators..Govs..you name it!
Thought I must be trendy and and join the cool crowd here..and have some line under my sig! That's all, and I believe it.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Maria S wrote:That's an interesting interpretation.
Thought I must be trendy and and join the cool crowd here..and have some line under my sig! That's all, and I believe it.

Talk of *therapist neutrality*. Smile
Have a nice rest of day!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Maria S wrote:
atcg wrote:[

Appreciate you paying attention to that sig.line! That's an interesting interpretation. Nothing wrong in Doctors being believers, most of my colleagues are. Many are well known..and not just doctors..like Dr. Sirkali Sivachidambaram and some are Revs and Rabbis..of course..*many in the US are Senators..Govs..you name it!

Here we go again!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:24 pm

I think the reasons why doctors are believers, mostly has to do with their keen sense of their own limitations coupled with an imprecise understanding of how human body works - lot more of it is conjecture than in harder physical sciences.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Calm and peace. That's all I go to temples for. No other belief matters at that point for me.

Then go to Siva Vishnu Temple here in Maryland on the New Year's day when it is totally crowded.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Maria S wrote:*From my experiences/perspective:

Having been around- witnessed the beginning of life and end of life a whole lot- in my lifetime, it's quite awesome to imagine/know there is "something" much greater than human awesomeness.

*Do have moments of doubt, frustration and fears/anxiety..but, overcome them and feel liberated..when I have done everything in my human power and accept- "what was meant to be"...and try to let go.

Don't have to listen to anything - anyone else..Pope, Bishop, Pastor, Priest, Brother or Sister says/interprets my "faith-oriented" teachings (like an occasional good sermon/interpretation of the scriptures!). But, I am very capable of interpreting them for myself/gain some understanding. *Some times it leads to the interpretation (sorting out allegory, symbolism)- "I don't know", if it it is, it is what it is.

Like the fellowship with other non-atheists/like some rituals too..some individuals are wise, funny and..their "work" to help others unselfishly..quietly inspires me.

Feel very calm and at peace when I pray- it's physically and emotionally greatly helpful on a human level/my human conditioning.

Good point.

Emotional well being IS personal well being. Theists or atheists, people forget this important aspect. No analytical brain will be enough to sustain a person through life. Behind every analytical decision, there is a healthy, emotional involvement. Even a dry rationalist follows certain beliefs. Life without beliefs is barren and can even be dangerous to health!

Differences between common people lie in the balance between emotional and analytical aspects. Extremes on either side usually lead to problems. Rationalists who look at music as a useless emotive aspect of life and theists who shun music except for God miss the important contribution of the emotional aspect.

In Indian thinking, hridayam (the heart - the emotional aspect) and manas (the analytical aspect) refer to the mind.

Regards.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:57 pm

atcg wrote:I think the reasons why doctors are believers, mostly has to do with their keen sense of their own limitations coupled with an imprecise understanding of how human body works - lot more of it is conjecture than in harder physical sciences.

That is among the primary reasons.
Have a great day too!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 pm

[quote="Vakavaka Pakapaka"]

Good point.

Emotional well being IS personal well being. Theists or atheists, people forget this important aspect. No analytical brain will be enough to sustain a person through life. Behind every analytical decision, there is a healthy, emotional involvement. Even a dry rationalist follows certain beliefs. Life without beliefs is barren and can even be dangerous to health!

Differences between common people lie in the balance between emotional and analytical aspects. Extremes on either side usually lead to problems. Rationalists who look at music as a useless emotive aspect of life and theists who shun music except for God miss the important contribution of the emotional aspect.

In Indian thinking, hridayam (the heart - the emotional aspect) and manas (the analytical aspect) refer to the mind.

Regards.

Thanks, nice to read Mr. S:)

*I think one can also question "religiousity", being "self-righteous" and other forms of "religion"...esp. organized religion (disagree with many actions of "The Church"- historically and in the present)..but for me at the core..is the simple fact- I am not an atheist.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:30 pm

i don't like loud and noisy people on either side of the belief/non-belief issue. i only get upset with people who believe, when they start pushing their agenda into the public sphere and into legislation that affects everyone. otherwise i see no reason to get in their faces dawkins style.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 pm

I don't like people who quietly stick it in- and pretend they are not pushing their "agenda" they can be just as bad (call it equally annoying and mean!) too!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't like loud and noisy people on either side of the belief/non-belief issue. i only get upset with people who believe, when they start pushing their agenda into the public sphere and into legislation that affects everyone. otherwise i see no reason to get in their faces dawkins style.
I thought, everyone should be fine as long as things don't effect people's private lives.
Public sphere is... public.. Right?
Freedom of speech, expression and all that hoopla ...people speak of day and night here. What happened to that? Just a façade?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:43 pm

southindian wrote:
I thought, everyone should be fine as long as things don't effect people's private lives.
Freedom or speech, expression and all that hoopla ...people speak of day and night here.

LOL!
Funny who always fake the most- accuse others of being fake too!
*Let's face it..everyone has "their self-interests"..and 'grand self-images'..about how they don't push their views on others!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:43 pm

atcg wrote:I have come to see religion, religious practices and rituals as means towards achieving a certain mental state - i.e., a certain state of detached, observer like meditative state. I see all religion as a mind-training regimen.
At its best, that is what religion is. In my opinion, a small minority of people who profess faith in a religion use those rituals as a means to achieving that detached, observer-like meditative state you speak of. For the vast majority, it is, as Russell says, more about addressing ones fears. And for a small minority on the other side of the spectrum, it is a political tool. Because the majority are in it driven by fear, this vocal minority can use the majority to its political ends.

atcg wrote:Once I have this perspective, I am able to appreciate and even respect the 'believers' way of using their faith to calm themselves, or prepare themselves for action.
Yes, I have a lot of respect for people who use their faith to calm themselves and help them through tough choices.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:43 pm

And.....the battle is joined! Smile

Let's see - quick checklist:

1. Contraception
2. Abortion
3. Euthanasia/Right to die
4. Religious prayers in schools
5. Homosexuality
please begin.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:43 pm

southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't like loud and noisy people on either side of the belief/non-belief issue. i only get upset with people who believe, when they start pushing their agenda into the public sphere and into legislation that affects everyone. otherwise i see no reason to get in their faces dawkins style.
Freedom or speech, expression and all that hoopla ...people speak of day and night here.

please don't be so sensitive. nobody is asking anyone to shut up. i think there should be a godwin's law for freedom of speech too.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Who appointed Godwin..the Deity of Freedom of Speech..
Sorry, not his follower..am not abiding by his laws!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Maria S wrote:Having been around- witnessed the beginning of life and end of life a whole lot- in my lifetime, it's quite awesome to imagine/know there is "something" much greater than human awesomeness.
There is. From my perspective, it is quite awesome to imagine the odds of all of us being here in this universe. A series of fantastically unlikely events occurred to produce life, and then for that life to acquire an awareness of itself -- that is beautiful and awe-inspiring beyond belief.

Maria S wrote:*Some times it leads to the interpretation (sorting out allegory, symbolism)- "I don't know", if it it is, it is what it is.
On my fundamental questions, "I don't know" is the atheist's most appropriate answer. Acknowledging the limits of one's knowledge IMO takes courage, and go be a sincere atheist, one has to be able to do that. I find more appeal in being able to say "I don't know" than to advance an answer and say, "I just believe this to be true, so it must be true."

Maria S wrote:Like the fellowship with other non-atheists/like some rituals too..some individuals are wise, funny and..their "work" to help others unselfishly..quietly inspires me.
Yes, the social and cultural aspect of religion is more powerful that commonly acknowledged in intellectual debates about religion.

Maria S wrote:Feel very calm and at peace when I pray- it's physically and emotionally greatly helpful on a human level/my human conditioning.
As I said elsewhere, I think that is religion at its best.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:53 pm

panini press wrote:
atcg wrote:I have come to see religion, religious practices and rituals as means towards achieving a certain mental state - i.e., a certain state of detached, observer like meditative state. I see all religion as a mind-training regimen.
At its best, that is what religion is. In my opinion, a small minority of people who profess faith in a religion use those rituals as a means to achieving that detached, observer-like meditative state you speak of. For the vast majority, it is, as Russell says, more about addressing ones fears. And for a small minority on the other side of the spectrum, it is a political tool. Because the majority are in it driven by fear, this vocal minority can use the majority to its political ends.

I am not too impressed by Russell..his conclusions seem rather simplistic and quite limited.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Good point.

Regards.
Guruvu-gaaru, what about theists who paint all atheists as one-dimensional, emotionless beings? Are they missing any part of the picture?

All the atheists I know well fully recognize the "emotional aspect" as you called it.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:

please don't be so sensitive. nobody is asking anyone to shut up. i think there should be a godwin's law for freedom of speech too.

hahaha. Yes I know.

What's suits me falls in that category of godwin's law

BTW there are different flavors of godwin's law depending on country, religion, caste, color, sex, region, state (US state, India State), local county, east or west side of downtown etc etc etc... the list goes on Smile

Blah! There is no such thing as this baloney.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:56 pm

panini press wrote:
Maria S wrote:Having been around- witnessed the beginning of life and end of life a whole lot- in my lifetime, it's quite awesome to imagine/know there is "something" much greater than human awesomeness.
There is. From my perspective, it is quite awesome to imagine the odds of all of us being here in this universe. A series of fantastically unlikely events occurred to produce life, and then for that life to acquire an awareness of itself -- that is beautiful and awe-inspiring beyond belief.

Maria S wrote:*Some times it leads to the interpretation (sorting out allegory, symbolism)- "I don't know", if it it is, it is what it is.
On my fundamental questions, "I don't know" is the atheist's most appropriate answer. Acknowledging the limits of one's knowledge IMO takes courage, and go be a sincere atheist, one has to be able to do that. I find more appeal in being able to say "I don't know" than to advance an answer and say, "I just believe this to be true, so it must be true."

Maria S wrote:Like the fellowship with other non-atheists/like some rituals too..some individuals are wise, funny and..their "work" to help others unselfishly..quietly inspires me.
Yes, the social and cultural aspect of religion is more powerful that commonly acknowledged in intellectual debates about religion.

Maria S wrote:Feel very calm and at peace when I pray- it's physically and emotionally greatly helpful on a human level/my human conditioning.
As I said elsewhere, I think that is religion at its best.

Carvaka,
I find your responses more interesting than Russell:)
*It is nice that you took the time to read..and responded in a thoughtful way.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:09 pm

For the one and only reason: I couldn't figure out which came first...the egg or the hen.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Maria S wrote:Who appointed Godwin..the Deity of Freedom of Speech..
Sorry, not his follower..am not abiding by his laws!

Maria, do you know what Godwin's law is?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:15 pm

panini press wrote:

atcg wrote:Once I have this perspective, I am able to appreciate and even respect the 'believers' way of using their faith to calm themselves, or prepare themselves for action.
Yes, I have a lot of respect for people who use their faith to calm themselves and help them through tough choices.

Not exactly arguing here, but why do you feel the vast majority is focused on addressing their fears - what kind of fears do you speak of? Fear of uncertainty, Fear of death, Fear of the Other ??

Most people around me seem to be well-off in material sense and many of them seem anxious only about their social and psychological/emotional contexts. In a flippant way, they seem to have the "good problems to have" syndrome. Their worries are about their relationships, the well-being of their close family members etc. I wouldn't necessarily classify them as being afraid. To most of them, it is buffet religion and they partake the elements that will address their anxieties. Is this what you meant by "fears"?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Nope..don't know- don't want to know..even if I know- will not make any difference to me.
Thanks for asking.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Maria S wrote:Nope..don't know- don't want to know..even if I know- will not make any difference to me.
Thanks for asking.

I will tell you anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies[1][2]) is an argument made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2][3] In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Ok.
Why the "anyway".
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Maria S wrote:Ok.
Why the "anyway".

You added the question about the anyway as an afterthought. Anyway:

don't want to know..even if I know- will not make any difference to me.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:30 pm

I see, ok.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Sasthi wrote:For the one and only reason: I couldn't figure out which came first...the egg or the hen.

Sorry, I missed your response Sasthi!
If you figure that out..please let me know:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Good point.

Regards.
Guruvu-gaaru, what about theists who paint all atheists as one-dimensional, emotionless beings? Are they missing any part of the picture?

All the atheists I know well fully recognize the "emotional aspect" as you called it.

And I have seen self-professed atheists becoming emotional when the other side uses the same technique they use against theists. Confrontation of this kind (from theists or atheists) is actually belief in action (on both sides) and Sankara would say, this is reflective of a fanatic attachment to "vasanas". Ashis Nandy would say, the difference between the CH "discussion" and that in my village street fight is - the "sophistication" that CHers use to sugar coat their biases. Just look at this thread and you will see one or two very sophisticated "street fighters".

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:50 pm

atcg wrote:Not exactly arguing here, but why do you feel the vast majority is focused on addressing their fears - what kind of fears do you speak of? Fear of uncertainty, Fear of death, Fear of the Other ??

Most people around me seem to be well-off in material sense and many of them seem anxious only about their social and psychological/emotional contexts. In a flippant way, they seem to have the "good problems to have" syndrome. Their worries are about their relationships, the well-being of their close family members etc. I wouldn't necessarily classify them as being afraid. To most of them, it is buffet religion and they partake the elements that will address their anxieties. Is this what you meant by "fears"?
Exactly -- that's what I meant. These anxieties as you call them are much more common, persistent, and immediate than the fears (of uncertainty, death, or the other) that you listed above.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Good point.

Regards.

And I have seen self-professed atheists becoming emotional when the other side uses the same technique they use against theists. Confrontation of this kind (from theists or atheists) is actually belief in action (on both sides) and Sankara would say, this is reflective of a fanatic attachment to "vasanas". Ashis Nandy would say, the difference between the CH "discussion" and that in my village street fight is - the "sophistication" that CHers use to sugar coat their biases. Just look at this thread and you will see one or two very sophisticated "street fighters".
Guruvu-gaaru, I didn't understand your cryptic message. Perhaps I have to meditate on it full-time for a few days to see the hidden meaning. Unfortunately, I lack the time and patience to do that.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 pm

panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Good point.

Regards.

Guruvu-gaaru, I didn't understand your cryptic message. Perhaps I have to meditate on it full-time for a few days to see the hidden meaning. Unfortunately, I lack the time and patience to do that.

There is nothing hidden. Why I am not an Atheist 3077217049

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Maria S wrote:
southindian wrote:

LOL!
Funny who always fake the most- accuse others of being fake too!
*Let's face it..everyone has "their self-interests"..and 'grand self-images'..about how they don't push their views on others!

I too have a "Freedom of Speech/Expression" On/Off switch and I carry it with me all the time. Smile

I flip it to off for anything not suiting my godwin/gwbush/ceaușescu law. *who cares blimey, it has to suit what I think*

BTW, like "some here" my "Freedom of Speech/Expression" flip is country based, issue based, region (northindian/southindian) based, food (dosa(i)/yellow dhaal) based and almost everything under the sun. Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm

you are fortunate to be a christian which believes in equality for all human beings---so you are free to be a believer .

but if i start believing in my religion then i would have to believe in caste system . i would have to believe that other humans are inferior to me since i was born in a brahmin family . rather than do that i prefer to be atheist .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:24 pm

[quote="Vakavaka Pakapaka"][quote="panini press"]
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:[quot

I read this paragraph 3 times and gave up. I think I understood the sentence with Ashis Nandy a little but I'm not totally sure.

Vakavaka garu, Deepak Chopra in channel chesthunnara?

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Maria S wrote:Nope..don't know- don't want to know..even if I know- will not make any difference to me.
Thanks for asking.

it's actually quite funny and doesn't insult anyone as you seem to be imagining.

edited to add: and i see that HA has just posted an excerpt from the wiki page.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:41 pm

ashdoc wrote:

you are fortunate to be a christian which believes in equality for all human beings---so you are free to be a believer .

but if i start believing in my religion then i would have to believe in caste system . i would have to believe that other humans are inferior to me since i was born in a brahmin family . rather than do that i prefer to be atheist .

Smile

Not sure if you are serious.

Oh, we have "plenty of prejudices"..among ourselves (Christians) too. This thread is just my sincere acknowledgment of something bigger than human power- as I see it and how important it is/part of my life, that's all.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

it's actually quite funny and doesn't insult anyone as you seem to be imagining.

Ok, have some fun at my expense! I find some of your posts- what you imagine and say- very funny too in different ways..I don't post about it.

Enjoy!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next