Amrtya Sen is shown his place by BJP Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amrtya Sen is shown his place by BJP

+3
Merlot Daruwala
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
7 posters

Go down

Amrtya Sen is shown his place by BJP Empty Amrtya Sen is shown his place by BJP

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:01 pm

......he should stick to Atheism, Communism, and economics...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Amrtya Sen is shown his place by BJP Empty Re: Amrtya Sen is shown his place by BJP

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:19 pm

......he should stick to Atheism, Communism, and economics....

.....instead of sikular fukularism.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Amrtya Sen is shown his place by BJP Empty Re: Amrtya Sen is shown his place by BJP

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:27 am

Amartya Sen expressed a personal preference. So the chaddis are now attacking him for that, proving him right in the process. It is precisely this fascist intolerance for others' opinions that makes the chaddis (and NaMo) so unsuited to lead India.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:12 am

Oh really...and congress just politely agrees with everyone that criticizes them and that makes them eminently suited to govern India?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:14 am

I'm afraid he sounds like an apologist for congress - that sounds like fascist intolerance?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:15 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:I'm afraid he sounds like an apologist for congress - that sounds like fascist intolerance?

Funny to watch Propa froth at the mouth just because Sen indicated a particular political preference.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:05 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:Oh really...and congress just politely agrees with everyone that criticizes them and that makes them eminently suited to govern India?

Columnists and talking heads routinely question the suitability of Rahul Gandhi aka Pappu for the top post, but I've not seen CONgoons or their followers pounce on them and question their right to express their views (as is the case here).

That's not any reflection on the Congress' ability or eligibility to govern, but at the very least, it's not a party of intolerance.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:36 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:Oh really...and congress just politely agrees with everyone that criticizes them and that makes them eminently suited to govern India?

Columnists and talking heads routinely question the suitability of Rahul Gandhi aka Pappu for the top post, but I've not seen CONgoons or their followers pounce on them and question their right to express their views (as is the case here).

That's not any reflection on the Congress' ability or eligibility to govern, but at the very least, it's not a party of intolerance.

the way most of these statements come about is when someone says something and a press guy asks the accused "what's your response to xyz when he said so and so about you & your party". then the said accused shoots of his mouth and in some cases over reacts. as long as there isnt an explicit or implicit threat made, I dont see why you'd label them fascist...reveals a certain bias.

everyone is allowed to defend themselves, yes even against accomplished sacred cows such as the ex-communisto intellectual sen.

I've read several congress douches making worse statements unprovoked, fwiw. it's a reason for normal ppl to worry anytime a political party purports to be defenders of a religion as BJP does, but the "secular" congress isnt exactly blameless or a better alternative, even. their leaderless, indecisive, shitty politics & policies are one of the main reasons for india's rapid descent back into the hindu rates of growth instead of building on the rare strokes of good luck that country had over past 20 yrs. bad economy sparks rivalries and unrest more than any 'incendiary statements' made by 'communal parties' and congress will do much more damage in that regard

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:44 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Brilliant! So, it doesn't matter if prince Rahul becomes the next PM. Better yet, MT can appoint anyone as the PM (just like she does in the case of CMs for AP). How about randomly selecting someone from a Mumbai dance/drinking/something else club? At least, the guy will most likely be a CONman and can bring money bags to Delhi on a weekly basis.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

I don't like the personal attacks on Sen focusing on his marrying a foreigner, but I think this particular response to Sen's comments (from Saamiyaar's link above) is entirely valid. I don't think this response is intolerant or fascist. If Sen wants to avoid answering questions about Rahul Gandhi, while criticizing Narendra Modi, he should be prepared for questions about why he did that. 

The personal attacks from BJP focused on Sen's marital history reminded me of what the Congress did to Anna Hazare, Arvind Kejiriwal, etc. in the recent past. I don't think Congress has the moral high ground to question those tactics.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:37 am

Idéfix wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

I don't like the personal attacks on Sen focusing on his marrying a foreigner, but I think this particular response to Sen's comments (from Saamiyaar's link above) is entirely valid. I don't think this response is intolerant or fascist.

Ok, let's go over the conversation once again:

Sen: "I don't want Modi as my Prime Minister"

Below is a sampling of the responses:
1. "Professor Sen had better focus on research into problems of poverty amidst plenty in the world rather than worry too much about a politician's qualification to be prime minister." - Spokesperson
2. "Is Sen even a voter in India? Next NDA government must strip him of Bharat Ratna" - Chandan Mitra
3. "Amartya Sen is not Indian. He had lost his Indian-ness after he left his Bengali ex-wife and married two foreign females. He has lived abroad and only visits the country for a couple of months, which cannot make you Indian" - S Swamy
4. Sen is 'meddling' into the political affairs of the country to bail himself out of the corruption charges against him at Nalanda University. - S Swamy

You really believe these are "valid" responses, reflecting deep maturity and much tolerance, to a very respected thinker's personal preference??

Idéfix wrote:If Sen wants to avoid answering questions about Rahul Gandhi, while criticizing Narendra Modi, he should be prepared for questions about why he did that.

Modi has a record in public administration that provides some basis for an assessment. Rahul Gandhi is a cipher. In the link above, Sen makes that very point, but that is clearly insufficient for you. Your stance here is no different from Upps Aunty's belief that those who don't loudly condemn terrorists must be their supporters.

Even if for a moment, we agree that Sen is a partisan supporter, why should that be grounds for questioning his right to express himself? Why should he lose his Bharat Rathna for this crime? Doesn't he have a right to express his feelings and preferences? It is one thing to disagree with his preference and a different thing altogether to coerce him into silence. Please explain to me how the chaddi attacks on Sen do not smack of intolerance.

Idéfix wrote:I don't think Congress has the moral high ground to question those tactics.

I don't know if the Congress has said anything about this. The point about intolerance and fascism was entirely mine. And I genuinely believe that the BJP is headed the fascist way under Modi. Since you are a defender of the most important freedom of speech (in most other contexts), you might like to see this.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:03 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Modi has a record in public administration that provides some basis for an assessment.

Yep! The assessment is that for over a decade, Muslims in Modi's Gujarat have been safer than Muslims in so-called Muslim-friendly states like UP where it is routine for nearly 100 riots to happen in a single year, every year. Muslims are so secure in Gujarat that BJP wins elections in Muslim majority areas. Muslims from other states move to Gujarat. So, Sen's claims of Muslims feeling insecure with Modi is not based on the reality of the experience of Muslims who have first hand knowledge of Modi's administration.

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I genuinely believe that the BJP is headed the fascist way under Modi.

It is not fascist to want inclusive development and security for everyone in the country regardless of their caste or religion. That is what Modi has facilitated in Gujarat. That is what he wants to facilitate in all of India.

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Since you are a defender of the most important freedom of speech (in most other contexts), you might [url=http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/website-mocking-narendra-modi-shuts-down-with-an-i-quit-message-393584]like to see this.[/url]

The fake drama-baazi claims of the person who ran that website was questioned and thoroughly debunked here. To date, that person has not been able to show any proof of harassing messages or tweets that made him take down his website.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:09 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Ok, let's go over the conversation once again:

Sen: "I don't want Modi as my Prime Minister"

Below is a sampling of the responses:
1. "Professor Sen had better focus on research into problems of poverty amidst plenty in the world rather than worry too much about a politician's qualification to be prime minister." - Spokesperson
This is the only one that I was characterizing as valid. Sen is clearly not an informed political analyst, as he is unable to offer any opinion on Rahul Gandhi's qualifications, but is happy to offer one on Narendra Modi. So it is valid to suggest that he is more qualified to address problems in his area of expertise. That is not an attempt to shut Sen up, but putting Sen's comments into context from the BJP's perspective.

Merlot Daruwala wrote:2. "Is Sen even a voter in India? Next NDA government must strip him of Bharat Ratna" - Chandan Mitra
3. "Amartya Sen is not Indian. He had lost his Indian-ness after he left his Bengali ex-wife and married two foreign females. He has lived abroad and only visits the country for a couple of months, which cannot make you Indian" - S Swamy
4. Sen is 'meddling' into the political affairs of the country to bail himself out of the corruption charges against him at Nalanda University. - S Swamy
All these are personal attacks that are not relevant to Sen's criticism of Modi.

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Modi has a record in public administration that provides some basis for an assessment. Rahul Gandhi is a cipher. In the link above, Sen makes that very point, but that is clearly insufficient for you.
Interestingly, Sen does not leave it at "I don't know" or "I haven't thought about it." He actually credentializes Rahul Gandhi by referring to his stint at Cambridge.

Merlot Daruwala wrote:And I genuinely believe that the BJP is headed the fascist way under Modi. Since you are a defender of the most important freedom of speech (in most other contexts), you might like to see this.
That is indeed disturbing. During the 2008 election campaign, Modi ordered television stations that criticized him to be taken off the air, so I am aware of his fascist tendencies.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:27 am

Idéfix wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
This is the only one that I was characterizing as valid. Sen is clearly not an informed political analyst, as he is unable to offer any opinion on Rahul Gandhi's qualifications, but is happy to offer one on Narendra Modi. So it is valid to suggest that he is more qualified to address problems in his area of expertise. That is not an attempt to shut Sen up, but putting Sen's comments into context from the BJP's perspective.

Amartya Sen is not a political analyst but an economist. It is obvious that he is more qualified to address problems in economics but how is somebody's professional qualifications and achievements relevant in any way to that person's personal preferences? Going by your (and the BJP spokesperson's) strange logic, only people without any other specialization, aka the unskilled, unemployed or those in politics, are most qualified to speak about politicians' qualifications and therefore everyone else should shut up on that topic.

That apart, why should anyone be telling Sen what he should worry about or not worry about? Doesn't he have the freedom to worry on any topic he likes and speak up about it??

Idéfix wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:2. "Is Sen even a voter in India? Next NDA government must strip him of Bharat Ratna" - Chandan Mitra
All these are personal attacks that are not relevant to Sen's criticism of Modi.

These are precisely the personal attacks that lead one to conclude the BJP is a party of intolerance. I don't understand why you are defending them.[/quote]
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:34 am

Idéfix wrote:During the 2008 election campaign, Modi ordered television stations that criticized him to be taken off the air, so I am aware of his fascist tendencies.

Do you have sources to support that? I searched around and couldn't find anything. The only thing I could find was this:

In 2011, the Gujarat state organisation of Congress banned the Gujarati-language TV 9 television channel from covering its events and prohibited access to its press conferences.[61] Modi criticised this decision, saying that
Journalists on Twitter who spoke against Congress, were blocked. Here they banned a TV channel. Their crime is that they exposed cracks in the ghar nu ghar (own your home) scheme of the Congress. Yet this party talks about democracy.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narendra_Modi#Third_term_.282007.E2.80.932012.29

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:41 am

Idéfix wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:And I genuinely believe that the BJP is headed the fascist way under Modi. Since you are a defender of the most important freedom of speech (in most other contexts), you might like to see this.
That is indeed disturbing. During the 2008 election campaign, Modi ordered television stations that criticized him to be taken off the air, so I am aware of his fascist tendencies.

The drama related to that website being taken down was questioned and debunked here: http://www.firstpost.com/politics/why-narendramodiplans-com-has-some-explaining-to-do-963729.html . The drama queen who ran that website, has so far provided no proof, not even a single tweet or email that harassed him into bring it down.

Incidentally, even if he was harassed by other Internet users, it has nothing directly to do with Modi. So, your, "indeed disturbing" line also sounds overly dramatic. And in this context, referring to Modi in the same breath is similar to Doggy's tweets following the recent Bihar bomb blasts: "Modi addresses Bihar BJP workers and asks them to teach Nitish (Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar) a lesson. Next day bomb blasts at Mahabodhi Temple at Bodh Gaya. Is there a connect? I don't know."

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:41 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:That apart, why should anyone be telling Sen what he should worry about or not worry about? Doesn't he have the freedom to worry on any topic he likes and speak up about it??
He does. And the BJP spokesperson has the freedom to say that Sen is out of his depth when he talks about who is qualified to be PM. It is not as if Sen is somehow required to take the BJP spokesperson seriously, and do as he says.

Merlot Daruwala wrote:These are precisely the personal attacks that lead one to conclude the BJP is a party of intolerance. I don't understand why you are defending them.
My purpose here is not to defend the BJP. In my opinion, there are both valid and invalid responses to Sen's statements. I find the BJP spokesperson's statement valid, while I find the other statements you cited invalid. One might conclude from the statements that Diggy Raja made about Anna Hazare and his followers that Congress is a party of intolerance too, if one were so inclined. The bottomline is: when you express a political opinion, you do expect the other side to respond. You (or Sen) can't expect that the BJP will applaud or ignore Sen's criticism of Modi; it is in the interest of sane political discourse that we distinguish between valid responses and wild personal attacks. Otherwise we cede the field to the Diggy Rajas on both sides.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:53 am

SomeProfile wrote:
Idéfix wrote:During the 2008 election campaign, Modi ordered television stations that criticized him to be taken off the air, so I am aware of his fascist tendencies.

Do you have sources to support that? I searched around and couldn't find anything. 
The Gujarat Government blacked out several TV channels on Thursday night after the channels started beaming a sting operation done by Tehelka that accused Chief Minister Narendra Modi of inciting the 2002 Gujarat riots.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/tv-channels-showing-riot-sting-banned-in-gujarat/51225-3.html
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:03 am

Idéfix wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

Do you have sources to support that? I searched around and couldn't find anything. 
The Gujarat Government blacked out several TV channels on Thursday night after the channels started beaming a sting operation done by Tehelka that accused Chief Minister Narendra Modi of inciting the 2002 Gujarat riots.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/tv-channels-showing-riot-sting-banned-in-gujarat/51225-3.html

Thanks. I am surprised nobody has brought this up to criticize Modi recently. Especially when he has made recent remarks about Congress's intolerance. I hope someone confronts Modi/BJP with this. Would like to see Modi defend/explain this.

PS: Did you have this link handy or did you Google? If the latter, what did you Google for?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:11 am

SomeProfile wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

Thanks. I am surprised nobody has brought this up to criticize Modi recently. Especially when he has made recent remarks about Congress's intolerance. I hope someone confronts Modi/BJP with this. Would like to see Modi defend/explain this.

PS: Did you have this link handy or did you Google? If the latter, what did you Google for?
I remembered it only because of a long argument with Sevaji about it. Sevaji at the time defended the government, saying that it has a right to ban TV channels and anyone who doesn't like it can go to court for redress.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:31 am

BTW guys, let's not hasten to piss our chaddis fearing Modi will be a fascist because he temporarily banned a couple of TV channels from showing a particular program. And for the record, I am not condoning that.

When it comes to fascism and nepotism, including banning movies, books, kids on the Internet, closing restaurants, muzzling important central agencies like CBI, etc., nobody can beat Congress. If there is any political party that's close to the classic definition of fascism in India, it's Congress. Yet, they have not managed to turn India into a real fascist dictatorship... yet! There are still enough checks and balances in the country, not the least of which is some power vested in the general public, which keeps the Congress from getting too blatant with their fascism. This being the case, there is no way Modi will get fascist when he is the PM. There will be even greater scrutiny and questioning of his every action by all kinds of people, when he is the PM.

So, all this drama about fearing Modi's fascism is no different from young kids pissing in their sleep because of the bogeyman under the bed. Or, to use an example which is more popular on this forum, it is like Merlot aunty not going out after 8 PM for fear of being raped by those communal Hindutva boys.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:33 am

Idéfix wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

I remembered it only because of a long argument with Sevaji about it. Sevaji at the time defended the government, saying that it has a right to ban TV channels and anyone who doesn't like it can go to court for redress.

What is your view on TV channels showing live 26/11 and Taj Hotel in Mumbai?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:40 am

i don't know if amartya is sen or insane but if i have suchers' permission to comment on the intolerance of political parties of india, here goes.

all political parties in india are intolerant. they all have attack dogs whose only job is to shout the loudest when an allegation is made against their own party. all parties have jokers who want to impress their seniors by shouting and counterattacking. but then that's what sells in india. silence is not golden in indian politics. silence is considered admittance of wrongdoings.

here, youth congress taking inspiration from MNS - http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/1865148/slideshow-youth-congress-seen-bringing-down-the-shutters-on-aditi-restaurant-in-mumbai
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:44 am

SomeProfile wrote:Yet, they have not managed to turn India into a real fascist dictatorship... yet!
Actually, they did once. It was called the Emergency. I wouldn't be so sanguine about Modi's inability to do things of that nature. He hasn't been tolerant of rival power centers within the Gujarat BJP. And he seems to have acquired a cult following of people who think he can do no wrong. You may or may not count yourself among those followers. The more hyperbole his followers use in talking up his credentials, the more they sound like Indiramma's followers after the Bangladesh war.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:58 am

The middle-classes here are craving now for an autocratic ruler. Mass democracy, they have found, does not quite work for them. Hence the cult of NaMo.

Even here, the avuncular pinings for Dr JJ are a symptom of the deep-seated need to be dominated and ruled over by a powerful leader.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Amrtya Sen is shown his place by BJP Empty Still awaiting response from fukular anti-Modi-ites.

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Guruvu-gaaru, my view is that TV channels should be allowed to show live footage of incidents like that. The police, of course, can cordon off areas where they have a particular ongoing operation to flush out the terrorists from their hiding places. But there is no excuse for taking TV channels off the air. That sort of behavior occurs in China, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, etc., and I certainly hope India won't make a pattern of it and join those countries.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:The middle-classes here are craving now for an autocratic ruler. Mass democracy, they have found, does not quite work for them. Hence the cult of NaMo.

Even here, the avuncular pinings for Dr JJ are a symptom of the deep-seated need to be dominated and ruled over by a powerful leader.
Yeah, the first time I heard a middle-class person say, "Democracy doesn't work for India; what we need is a strong leader as a benevolent dictator" I was a kid. And the statement was greeted by nods in the gathering of middle-class people. I didn't know it then, but I now know that the statement was made less than ten years after Emergency. I didn't know it then, but I now know that when he said, "democracy doesn't work for India," he actually meant, "democracy doesn't work as well for us upper-caste, middle-class people as it used to."
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Captain Bhankas wrote:all political parties in india are intolerant. they all have attack dogs whose only job is to shout the loudest when an allegation is made against their own party. all parties have jokers who want to impress their seniors by shouting and counterattacking. but then that's what sells in india. silence is not golden in indian politics. silence is considered admittance of wrongdoings.
+1
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down