Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

difference between art appreciation and agenda driving

+3
Idéfix
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
7 posters

Go down

difference between art appreciation and agenda driving Empty difference between art appreciation and agenda driving

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:34 pm

when one first encounters an art and wishes to discover more, one finds out what appeals to one's own senses about it. then one tries to find out the various aesthetic elements that defines the art and how they relate to each other, and how they relate to other forms of art with which one is familiar. this process is called art appreciation.

in another process one tries to find out what about the art form fits in with one's own worldview, and collects every possible piece of information about the art which can then be used to first convince oneself of the essential correctness of one's worldview, twist and contort pieces that don't fit, and then relentlessly foist the resulting product on others. this process is known as agenda driving.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

difference between art appreciation and agenda driving Empty Re: difference between art appreciation and agenda driving

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:when one first encounters an art and wishes to discover more, one finds out what appeals to one's own senses about it. then one tries to find out the various aesthetic elements that defines the art and how they relate to each other, and how they relate to other forms of art with which one is familiar. this process is called art appreciation.

in another process one tries to find out what about the art form fits in with one's own worldview, and collects every possible piece of information about the art which can then be used to first convince oneself of the essential correctness of one's worldview, twist and contort pieces that don't fit, and then relentlessly foist the resulting product on others. this process is known as agenda driving Narcissism.

**FIXED**

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

difference between art appreciation and agenda driving Empty Re: difference between art appreciation and agenda driving

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 am

The challenge of the agenda driver is to do it in an intelligent, not-so-obvious manner, so that the agenda is actually advanced as a result of the driver's efforts. The relentless foisting you allude to, combined with the characteristically desperate clutching at straws, unfortunately make it all too obvious to the audience. Once the agenda is transparent, the agenda driver's efforts just become pathetic and comical at the same time*, and those efforts become counter-productive to the agenda.

I am now rather familiar with the methods and tactics of two different agenda drivers. Both use the broad process you described above, with their own quirks (which, for convenience, I named for their handles). I can say confidently that both of them hurt, rather than help, in the advancement of their favorite agendas, and that is almost entirely due to their methods.

* Ref: butt-head synthesis
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:49 am

panini press wrote:The challenge of the agenda driver is to do it in an intelligent, not-so-obvious manner, so that the agenda is actually advanced as a result of the driver's efforts. The relentless foisting you allude to, combined with the characteristically desperate clutching at straws, unfortunately make it all too obvious to the audience. Once the agenda is transparent, the agenda driver's efforts just become pathetic and comical at the same time*, and those efforts become counter-productive to the agenda.

I am now rather familiar with the methods and tactics of two different agenda drivers. Both use the broad process you described above, with their own quirks (which, for convenience, I named for their handles). I can say confidently that both of them hurt, rather than help, in the advancement of their favorite agendas, and that is almost entirely due to their methods.

One wonders when the Pee Peeing and Poo Pooing of PP will stop. Will he keep his promise of not wanting to interact with me?

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 am

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:The challenge of the agenda driver is to do it in an intelligent, not-so-obvious manner, so that the agenda is actually advanced as a result of the driver's efforts. The relentless foisting you allude to, combined with the characteristically desperate clutching at straws, unfortunately make it all too obvious to the audience. Once the agenda is transparent, the agenda driver's efforts just become pathetic and comical at the same time*, and those efforts become counter-productive to the agenda.

One wonders when the Pee Peeing and Poo Pooing of PP will stop. Will he keep his promise of not wanting to interact with me?

please do not suggest this as a BN item for Beijing performance Laughing

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

please do not suggest this as a BN item for Beijing performance Laughing

LOLu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:55 am

Max, you have laid out fairly clearly what was in most people's minds about art appreciation and agenda driving. The real question is what does one do about it - the agenda driver is not going for foisting their worldviews on others - that is, as they recognize, a lofty goal. It is just enough for them to be able to air their contorted logic in a manner that is in-your-face. It suffices when the posts get responded to, discussed at length, and disproven time and again. That merely fuels the engine of the agenda-driver to keep at it.

Agenda-driving also has the aim of splitting, hair-splitting differences and creating an environment of mutually assured dissent. It is far from a search for truth or any noble intent. The best possible response is to ignore the agenda-driver.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 am

atcg wrote:Max, you have laid out fairly clearly what was in most people's minds about art appreciation and agenda driving. The real question is what does one do about it - the agenda driver is not going for foisting their worldviews on others - that is, as they recognize, a lofty goal. It is just enough for them to be able to air their contorted logic in a manner that is in-your-face. It suffices when the posts get responded to, discussed at length, and disproven time and again. That merely fuels the engine of the agenda-driver to keep at it.

Agenda-driving also has the aim of splitting, hair-splitting differences and creating an environment of mutually assured dissent. It is far from a search for truth or any noble intent. The best possible response is to ignore the agenda-driver.

ignoring all views opposed to or different from your view would result in dogmatism. Embracing dogmatism would result in people like atcg become pinheads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 am

Rashmun wrote:
atcg wrote:Max, you have laid out fairly clearly what was in most people's minds about art appreciation and agenda driving. The real question is what does one do about it - the agenda driver is not going for foisting their worldviews on others - that is, as they recognize, a lofty goal. It is just enough for them to be able to air their contorted logic in a manner that is in-your-face. It suffices when the posts get responded to, discussed at length, and disproven time and again. That merely fuels the engine of the agenda-driver to keep at it.

ignoring all views opposed to or different from your view would result in dogmatism. Embracing dogmatism would result in people like atcg become pinheads.

if atcg is determined to become a pinhead all he has to do is start ignoring all views different from or opposed to his own views.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 pm

+1. It is difficult for me to practice this (and I can see that you practice it well), but I do agree with the wisdom of this view.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:14 pm

panini press wrote:

+1. It is difficult for me to practice this (and I can see that you practice it well), but I do agree with the wisdom of this view.

If PP would have his way all views contrary to the views he holds would not be espoused on this forum. Any dissenting view would result in posters being heckled, ridiculed, abused, and attacked in various ways.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:17 pm

yes i know. serenity now. serenity now...
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

yes i know. serenity now. serenity now...

Insanity later.

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:34 pm

I couldn't comprehend this.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down