Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

india ranked behind pakistan in UNDP measure of gender equality

5 posters

Go down

india ranked behind pakistan in UNDP measure of gender equality Empty india ranked behind pakistan in UNDP measure of gender equality

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:28 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013/03/15/india-ranks-lower-than-pakistan-on-gender-equality/

thank you delhi rapists.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

india ranked behind pakistan in UNDP measure of gender equality Empty Re: india ranked behind pakistan in UNDP measure of gender equality

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm

clearly the method they are using is flawed. if you're not counting the unreported rapes but holding reported rapes against the rating, then i dont care abt ur ranking.

Back to top Go down

india ranked behind pakistan in UNDP measure of gender equality Empty Re: india ranked behind pakistan in UNDP measure of gender equality

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013/03/15/india-ranks-lower-than-pakistan-on-gender-equality/

thank you delhi rapists.

I think the country deserves a self-determination vote to throw out Delhi.

Then everything will be fine.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:13 pm

seven wrote:clearly the method they are using is flawed. if you're not counting the unreported rapes but holding reported rapes against the rating, then i dont care abt ur ranking.

northindia and northindian culture are not very different from pakistan and pakistani culture. i therefore expect similar rates of rape reporting in both northindia and pakistan. given that the rate of reporting rapes in southern india is likely to be better than both northindia and pakistan, the fact that the indian average is worse than pakistan suggests that in fact northindia is much worse than pakistan. very troubling.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
seven wrote:clearly the method they are using is flawed. if you're not counting the unreported rapes but holding reported rapes against the rating, then i dont care abt ur ranking.

northindia and northindian culture are not very different from pakistan and pakistani culture.

And just like that, he picked a wide brush, and painted across the wall in black.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

northindia and northindian culture are not very different from pakistan and pakistani culture. i therefore expect similar rates of rape reporting in both northindia and pakistan. given that the rate of reporting rapes in southern india is likely to be better than both northindia and pakistan, the fact that the indian average is worse than pakistan suggests that in fact northindia is much worse than pakistan. very troubling.

Read muslim and muslim culture. Their (the north indian) geographic location is to be blamed. For centuries, they were invaded, looted and subjugated by the muslims. South indians were just lucky when it comes to that. Who is to be blamed and who is to be patted on the back here and for what?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

northindia and northindian culture are not very different from pakistan and pakistani culture.

And just like that, he picked a wide brush, and painted across the wall in black.

That is called bigotry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 pm

nenu wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

That is called bigotry.

Then a freely-expressed opinion on any people on anything is bigotry

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
nenu wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

That is called bigotry.

Then a freely-expressed opinion on any people on anything is bigotry

If you don't belong to the group, if you consider the group outside of yourself, but you point fingers at them constantly, then you are a bigot. If you don't belong to the group, then shut the F up! Let the group deal with its own problems. Who are you to point fingers at them?

Note: 'You' is generic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:02 am

[quote="nenu"]
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

If you don't belong to the group, if you consider the group outside of yourself, but you point fingers at them constantly, then you are a bigot. If you don't belong to the group, then shut the F up! Let the group deal with its own problems. Who are you to point fingers at them?

Note: 'You' is generic.

Right...but when the group you don't belong doesn't realize it has problems and affects you then it IS your problem.

If the US and the west calls Cuba, Iran, and N. Korea the evil axis, do you call it bigotry - when the same was not applied to Serbia, South Africa, and China?

You - here is -NOT generic....Razz

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

you sound as accurate as the NI who insists everyone from AP,TN,Kerala and Karnataka is a madrasi. the only SI state is madras.
clearly, you dont know much about NI or pakistani culture.

btw the article says gender inequality is due to skewed sex ratio, 914 females every 1000 males. the low UNDP ranking is not bcz of delhi rapists not directly responsible at least to deserve thanks on a dedicated thread.
or u were just trying to be provocative. why would u do that? to vent perhaps...

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:10 am

seven wrote:
btw the article says gender inequality is due to skewed sex ratio, 914 females every 1000 males. the low UNDP ranking is not bcz of delhi rapists not directly responsible at least to deserve thanks on a dedicated thread.
or u were just trying to be provocative. why would u do that? to vent perhaps...

from the wsj article:

The gender inequality index measures the loss in a country’s progress and human development because of gender inequality in three sectors: reproductive health, women empowerment and labor market participation

the BBC worldnews did an interview of women commuters in delhi who take the metro. one of the comments made by a social worker was quite startling - she said the reason you don't see women outside the ladies' carriage in the metro is not because the women are not taking the metro, but because they are not participating in large numbers in the workforce due to fear induced by inappropriate sexual behavior of delhi males in public places -- groping, rubbing up against their bodies etc.

India ranks low partly because of its skewed sex ratio, with only 914 females every 1000 males, according to Indian government data. Indian families often prefer boys to girls, and female feticide is tragically common.

Women’s issues in India have been in the limelight since the December gang rape and death of a young woman.

After the incident, widespread protests asking for stronger laws and protection for women took place around the country. Women activists point to the bias against women in India, and say that the patriarchal mindset in India needs to change

it is also my opinion that the same mindset that prefers selectively culling female foetuses is also responsible for treating women's bodies as mere toys for entertainment. it is not surprising that the lowest sex ratios are present in the states which have the highest incidence of rapes -- delhi, haryana, punjab etc.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:07 pm

ok so couple of thinsg max

1. our country's progress and human development is negatively impacted by state of women empowerment. but as sad as that is, india is not the only nation dealing with this issue. women worldwide are paid less than men.

as for the social worker's comment on women commuters, I have seen the women compartment FULL in delhi metros. i have also seen women travel in general compartments in delhi.
and if she is saying "fear induced by inappropriate sexual behavior of delhi males in public places -- groping, rubbing up against their bodies etc. " is responsible for less women participation in workforce, then that's not accurate.
there are sooo many different reasons for this.

2. pointing fingers at north india indicating its NIs that are responsible for lower UNDP ranking only shows your own bias against NIs and a lenient outlook towards SIs.

if we look at the data of cases that were reported Vs actually convicted, we'll see NIs have a higher conviction rate. Ofcoz the number of cases reported are higer in north india compared to south but so is the population.
i would love to see a report showing number of rapes reported as a percentage of state's population. given that SIs are more educated comparatively, its even more shameful, dont u think?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:15 pm

to quote from one of the comments

"we in South India put only 15 out of 100 accused behind bars, they actually convict 55 out of every 100;"

they = NIs

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:20 pm

[quote="seven"]
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

you sound as accurate as the NI who insists everyone from AP,TN,Kerala and Karnataka is a madrasi. the only SI state is madras.

** andhra is part of si. and "madrasis" is a derogative reference to people from AP and TN, cuz a lot of NIs haven't even heard of the telugus/andhras.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:50 pm

the point i make here, PN, is just coz some north indian doesn't know about or has heard about AP/telugus, doesn't mean everyone from southern india is a madrasi. saying so will be as inaccurate as saying pakistani and NI cultures are not different.

PS: i didnt know calling someone madrasi was derogatory.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 pm

seven wrote:the point i make here, PN, is just coz some north indian doesn't know about or has heard about AP/telugus, doesn't mean everyone from southern india is a madrasi. saying so will be as inaccurate as saying pakistani and NI cultures are not different.

you are right. pakistani culture appears a little different from northindian culture. pakistan's sex ratios at birth (male/female) are closer to one (1.05) than many northindian states; e.g. haryana (1.2). thanks for pointing it out. it would appear that pakistanis don't cull female foetuses at rates equivalent to haryanavis. they seem to value females more.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
seven wrote:the point i make here, PN, is just coz some north indian doesn't know about or has heard about AP/telugus, doesn't mean everyone from southern india is a madrasi. saying so will be as inaccurate as saying pakistani and NI cultures are not different.

you are right. pakistani culture appears a little different from northindian culture. pakistan's sex ratios at birth (male/female) are closer to one (1.05) than many northindian states; e.g. haryana (1.2). thanks for pointing it out. it would appear that pakistanis don't cull female foetuses at rates equivalent to haryanavis. they seem to value females more.

Is it your contention that Pakistani culture is superior to the culture of Salem and Dharmapuri when it comes to sex ratio figures?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

now you are arguing just for the sake of it. you pointed fingers at north india even though south india is no paradise for women. you compared NI culture to pakistan in terms of number of reported rapes which is also baseless ( unless ofcoz we count ur bias as a base).
and now you're saying the reason they dont kill female foetus is bcz they value females more than haryanvis etc...when more obvious reason is bcz kuran tells them its alla ki den and thats why they dont kill pregnancies.
if u dont wanna see the elephant in room and argue anyway then i'll not waste more time on u.

smile :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:27 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

So in a nutshell, it bothers you significantly that you get lumped with all the statistics that is largely coz of a very different region than your own. If you could, you would make those statisticians divide their data between the two regions. One for TN, and another for rest of India. Or maybe add kn, ap, Kerala too along with TN. This way you will feel more justified somehow as far as correct representation goes. Ya?

If yes to the above, I think I can feel your pain. But wish you gained a little more knowledge so that it probably helps you accept your identity as an Indian, and everything that comes with being one. Learn to own it, instead of constantly raising differences all the time and always quoting your five female cousins who were not groped in buses in madras.

If no to he above, tell us what bothers you so much.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:

So in a nutshell, it bothers you significantly that you get lumped with all the statistics that is largely coz of a very different region than your own. If you could, you would make those statisticians divide their data between the two regions.

but they do make such finely grained data available. it is useful to policy makers and bureaucrats in the govt who work to ameliorate such problems. in TN this is the province of the medical arm of the state govt. people like my father who worked in the TN state medical services division care about such data.

Vidya Bagchi wrote:But wish you gained a little more knowledge so that it probably helps you accept your identity as an Indian, and everything that comes with being one.

but i do. i do know more about your culture having lived outside my state than you do about mine. for instance i know more about your classical music than you probably know about it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Sorry. None of your posts indicate that you know much about NI. Classical music doesn't fully define its culture or people. Just coz I don't know much about TN, doesn't mean you are better qualified to talk about NI. Infact, I don't paint SIs with a wide brush specially because I have a very little half baked information. The rest of my obviously ignorant posts are mostly obvious jokes when I am spoofing other posters.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Sorry. None of your posts indicate that you know much about NI. Classical music doesn't fully define its culture or people. Just coz I don't know much about TN, doesn't mean you are better qualified to talk about NI. Infact, I don't paint SIs with a wide brush specially because I have a very little half baked information. The rest of my obviously ignorant posts are mostly obvious jokes when I am spoofing other posters.

i speak your language reasonably fluently, read and understand it, watch your movies and make sense of them, and i enjoy your classical music. i think it is reasonable for me to say i know more about your culture than you know about mine.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:54 pm

You know more about my culture than I know about yours. Doesn't mean you can categorically make statements and judgements about it so casually.

Almost every one of us does stereotyping. Even others mock the language, food, people, and movies. All is fair game. Yours are of more serious nature. Maybe that's why I call you out.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:You know more about my culture than I know about yours. Doesn't mean you can categorically make statements and judgements about it so casually.

Almost every one of us does stereotyping. Even others mock the language, food, people, and movies. All is fair game. Yours are of more serious nature. Maybe that's why I call you out.

but you were lecturing me to learn more. i was only pointing out if there is any learning to be done about learning others' culture, your burden is heavier than mine.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:You know more about my culture than I know about yours. Doesn't mean you can categorically make statements and judgements about it so casually.

but you were lecturing me to learn more. i was only pointing out if there is any learning to be done about learning others' culture, your burden is heavier than mine.

You just know what one can learn via arts (or news) medium. But making such drastic opinions is dangerous. You don't know what most NIs themselves think about these things. Your judgements are like some non American forming opinions about the US based on Jerry Springer shows and dirty hip hop lyrics.

I also asked you to see if that helps you accept. I may or may not know much about SIs. But I don't get restless if any Indian stats are ruined because of any non-NI.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 pm

max ,
i did not see vb posing as an expert on tn and calling every Tamil as an uncivilized loudmouth or some such thing.
it is.obvious to most of us your comments are illogical when you paint 20 to 40 core people ad incapable of any thought. whatever little knowledge you may have of ni is not helping your thought process.
your example of your knowledge of ni classical music reminds one of "i have Muslim friends".

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:35 pm

to conclude that culling female foetuses selectively is evidence of assignment of a lower value to the life of a female human being is quite reasonable. it would be hard for any reasonable person to argue that this is not a reflection of a cultural value. which part of this vidya bagchi, and truthbetold, do you not agree with?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:38 pm

the question is about painting all Ni the same.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:42 pm

truthbetold wrote:the question is about painting all Ni the same.

i'm sure there are many northindians who deplore sex selective foeticide. some of them even research the phenomenon and write journal articles about them.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:the question is about painting all Ni the same.

i'm sure there are many northindians who deplore sex selective foeticide. some of them even research the phenomenon and write journal articles about them.

Two words: Salem and Dharmapuri.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Sorry. None of your posts indicate that you know much about NI. Classical music doesn't fully define its culture or people. Just coz I don't know much about TN, doesn't mean you are better qualified to talk about NI. Infact, I don't paint SIs with a wide brush specially because I have a very little half baked information. The rest of my obviously ignorant posts are mostly obvious jokes when I am spoofing other posters.

i speak your language reasonably fluently, read and understand it, watch your movies and make sense of them, and i enjoy your classical music. i think it is reasonable for me to say i know more about your culture than you know about mine.

Max,
does your additional portion of knowledge entitle you to make derogatory statements about 20 to 40 croresnof people? Then chime in whenever jm heckles ni?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Max,
does your additional portion of knowledge entitle you to make derogatory statements about 20 to 40 croresnof people? Then chime in whenever jm heckles ni?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:11 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Max,

Are you calling him a Bigot?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Uppili,
I posted that comment long before my other comment. It got stuck in netland. Max made a small concession by admitting few nis do think and write about these issues. One step forward.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down